ASRock.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Technical Support > AMD Motherboards
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search Search  Events   Register Register  Login Login

X570 Taichi PCIe working at x8 instead of x16

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Blacksun1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: X570 Taichi PCIe working at x8 instead of x16
    Posted: 07 Oct 2020 at 4:41am
Hello

So I've recently noticed that my x16 PCIe bus is working only at x8 lanes (I'll link the GPU Z image bellow).

I've updated my BIOS to the latest version (P3.40) and loaded the default settings, I've installed the latest AMD chipset drivers, I've tried re-seating the GPU multiple times (and yes, it's plugged in the correct PCI slot) and nothing helps.
I thought maybe the software is misreporting, so I've run the 3dmark PCI express feature benchmark and I'm getting around 6.5 gb/s bandwidth which really seems like only 8 lanes. I've also checked my gpu at a friends computer and there it works fine at x16, so it's not a gpu issue.
I also have nothing else in any of the PCI slots besides the GPU, all the drives are SATA.

I'm running out of ideas here..is the board faulty or is there something I could do in BIOS? The only PCI settings I could found there are regarding which gen it runs and those do nothing.

The rest of my specs:
Ryzen 3700x
GTX 1070 ti
16 gb DDR 4
Fractal Ion 760p PSU
Samsung EVO 850 SSD, WDC HDD, both SATA connected

Any help would be much appreciated

(It also shows the PCI as 3.0, I assume that's normal as the gpu is 3.0)
Blacksun1 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Blacksun1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Oct 2020 at 4:34am
Zero replys here and on my support ticket.

Great tech support guys..
Xaltar View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Xaltar Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Oct 2020 at 5:19am
The forums are not tech support That said, ASRock Tech Support does often post here and check on things.

I take it you are using the top most PCIe x16 slot? If not, that is your problem.
The lower slots are wired as x8 and x4 respectively. While the slots are physically
x16 they are not wired that way. Only the top PCIe slot is capable of x16.

As for the PCIe generation showing as 3.0, you are correct, it is limited to the
generation supported by your GPU.
Blacksun1 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Blacksun1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Oct 2020 at 6:52am
Well, I did submit my problem via the support request form on the website five days ago and haven't gotten a word yet..

Yes, I'm using the top slot.
Xaltar View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Xaltar Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Oct 2020 at 1:36pm
If you click the little "?" next to bus interface it should start a render test
that will load the GPU enough to trigger it out of power saving. Does the link width
change when you do this? (PCIe x8 should become x16).
Blacksun1 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Blacksun1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Oct 2020 at 12:45am
Nope, stays the same. That's what I've tried first.

Like I've said, I even tried the 3dmark PCI bus test and it really looks like the gpu works with 8 lanes, even in full load.

Xaltar View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Xaltar Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Oct 2020 at 2:51am
Ok, so the next step is to remove the GPU and clean the contacts, I usually use
isopropyl alcohol and a cotton bud. Make sure they are all shiny and clean with
no residue. You can also check inside the slot and make sure there is no debris
in there. Once you have done that, make sure you install the card all the way
into the slot. If the back end is not all the way in you will lose PCIe lanes
to the GPU. PCIe x1 is the first section of the slot (matching the PCIe x1 slots)
then x4 is the next collection of pins etc all the way moving outward to the
back end of the slot to PCIe x16.

This is the most common cause of limited connection width, the card not being
fully seated.

Good luck and let us know if it resolves the issue.
Blacksun1 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Blacksun1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Oct 2020 at 5:39am
I've tried removing and re-seating the GPU several times. I've cleaned the connectors on the gpu but I haven't tried using alcohol so far. They seem really clean and I've already tried it out in my friends computer where it worked without issues, so I'm pretty sure that's not the problem.

It's also placed firmly and stable in the PCI slot. I haven't really looked if there's anything inside the slot, but it's a relatively new board, it didn't really had the chance to gather dust and stuff inside it.. Though I guess I could examine it more carefully.

Thanks for helping :)

Blacksun1 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Blacksun1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Oct 2020 at 6:59pm
Ok, tried cleaning and examining everything. Still no luck
Xaltar View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Xaltar Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Oct 2020 at 10:25pm
That is very odd. Are you sure the lower portion of the card is slotting in all the
way and the card's cooler isn't fouling on something? The end furthest from the
rear IO.

If you have the option, try testing a different GPU and see if that gives you a full PCIe x16 connection.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic