ASRock.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Technical Support > AMD Motherboards
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search Search  Events   Register Register  Login Login

AMD FM2A88XExtreme6+ Sound??

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 306bobby Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: AMD FM2A88XExtreme6+ Sound??
    Posted: 10 Jan 2016 at 3:04pm
Hey there.
I am having a problem with the Purity Sound on this motherboard. The problem is that the sound is very quiet and I have to have Windows 10's volume all the way up in order just to hear it. I have tried multiple speakers, so I know it is not that. I dont know if this was bad, but when installing the graphics card, there was an electricity discharge on the mobo, directly where the Purity Sound is located.

Thanks!
Xaltar View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Xaltar Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Jan 2016 at 3:47pm
It sounds like the built in headphone amplifier may have been damaged by the discharge you mentioned. It is located directly above the PCIe 2 slot so very likely what the charge grounded to. 

I assume your speakers are amplified and the audio level coming from the board is very low and requires the speaker volume all the way up as well as windows volume?
306bobby View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 306bobby Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Jan 2016 at 3:56pm
Yep. So any way to fix that or do I need to buy a sound card?
Xaltar View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Xaltar Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Jan 2016 at 4:02pm
Sadly there is no simple fix. If the amp is blown you will either need to hook up a preamp to the audio output then the speakers to that (in essence replacing the onboard amp) or get a new add in sound card. The problem with the preamp solution is that you will likely get a lot of hiss and crackle, especially if the damaged onboard amp causes signal noise because it is broken. 

A very quick and dirty way to create a preamp is to use one set of speakers connected to the audio output then hook up another to that speaker set's headphone jack, that will give you 2 volume controls. As I said above though, it is very likely that the sound will be dirty.
306bobby View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 306bobby Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Jan 2016 at 4:20pm
Now I do have one question about this though. I understand that this is probably very messed up, but the HD audio output for the front inputs on the case is the only thing all crackly at the moment. The normal ports on the mobo sound great, just very very quiet
wardog View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wardog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Jan 2016 at 8:10pm
Originally posted by 306bobby 306bobby wrote:

Now I do have one question about this though. I understand that this is probably very messed up, but the HD audio output for the front inputs on the case is the only thing all crackly at the moment. The normal ports on the mobo sound great, just very very quiet

Meh, don't waste your time.

The below says it all:

...., there was an electricity discharge on the mobo, directly where the Purity Sound is located.

Yea. That was bad. RMA the board and don't waste any more of your time.

Get in the good habit of always unplugging  power and discharge it whenever/each and every time you take the cased side panel(s) off.
306bobby View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 306bobby Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Jan 2016 at 1:42am
Originally posted by wardog wardog wrote:

Meh, don't waste your time.

The below says it all:

<span style="line-height: 16.8px; : rgb43, 43, 43;"></span>...., there
was an electricity discharge on the mobo, directly where the Purity
Sound is located.

Yea. That was bad. RMA the board and don't waste any more of your time.

Get in the good habit of always unplugging? power and discharge it whenever/each and every time you take the cased side panel(s) off.

Ok but the rest of the board still works. Do you think it would be fine to just get a different sound card?
Xaltar View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Xaltar Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Jan 2016 at 2:03am
If you can RMA still then do so. The damage may not be restricted to the onboard amp and could worsen in time. Always return a damaged product when you can, believe me you do not want to get out of warranty and then have it fail.
306bobby View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 306bobby Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Jan 2016 at 2:26am
Originally posted by Xaltar Xaltar wrote:

If you can RMA still then do so. The damage may not be restricted to the onboard amp and could worsen in time. Always return a damaged product when you can, believe me you do not want to get out of warranty and then have it fail.

Could u give me some instructions to RMA? The instructions on Tha asrock website were a little confusing to me
Xaltar View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Xaltar Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Jan 2016 at 2:29am
I would try returning it to the store you purchased it from first and hope they exchange it for you. If that fails then you can try ASRock directly.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic