ASRock.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Media&User's Review > Intel Motherboards
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - My ASRock Build -  X99E-ITX Campaign - NEW PICS
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search Search  Events   Register Register  Login Login

My ASRock Build - X99E-ITX Campaign - NEW PICS

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234>
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Jon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 May 2015 at 9:09am
Originally posted by Illegalseagull Illegalseagull wrote:

Originally posted by muffint0p96 muffint0p96 wrote:

Super jealous.  Looks like a great machine! Any tips for a newbie?

Muffin

Thanks!  

I'm not sure what you like to do with your computer, but if you're like a lot of folks, you do a mix of basic internet and medium-duty gaming.

If that description fits you, consider some of the following items in your build:

1)  www.pcpartspicker.com does a good job of showing you compatible computer parts and competitive pricing.  They have a good website that you can use as a guide through the build process.

Parts compatibility is key.  Most of this is going to become more obvious after some research, but at first it can seem confusing.  Don't be afraid to post your build to message boards (like here, Tom's Hardware, pcpartspicker, etc.) to try to get other peoples' opinions.  They will ALWAYS suggest you spend more money and get fancier stuff than you had in mind, but the main thing you're looking for is someone to catch a mistake or notice something wonky before you spend your money.

2)  Even though the processor is the sexy, popular part of computer for most people, if you are a gamer, the graphics card is at least as important.

So consider a balance.  If you don't know what overclocking is--and don't care to--grab a mid-level Intel i5, or an AMD FX-8350--a popular motherboard that has a lot of reviews on newegg.com, memory, power supply, and a graphics card in the $150-$250 range.  This should suit you well on 1080p resolution displays for most games.

3)  Overclocking is more for fun than necessity.  If you are just getting into building, and you must wring every ounce of performance out of your rig, overclocking is a fun side-hobby you can do to get more oomph for your dollar....that said, you usually end up spending more on the components if it ends up being your focus...so mostly, I think, it is for fun.  IF you want to overlock, grab a better cpu cooler (The Coolermaster Seidon is a good value in all-in-one watercooling), a motherboard that will support your tuning with durability and a wide feature set (so no old OEM or low-spec <$50 aftermarket mobos), and an Intel processor that ends in a "K", like the 4690K, 4790K...another option is AMD's "Black Edition" chips, like the FX8350, etc.  These chips will have "unlocked multipliers" that will let you go a LOT further with your efforts.

4)  Get help!    Go on message boards, talk to people, look up "overclocking guides" if you're into overclocking.  Don't be afraid to ask for help.  Many experts ( I'm no expert) are happy to help you succeed.  Have fun!Big smile

These are all good tips.  I went a little overboard on the CPU and motherboard compared to the graphics card...that said, there really aren't many 'budget' CPUs or motherboards when you go with the X99 set, especially in the ITX form factor.
ASRock X99E-ITX/ac | Intel i7-5820K | ASUS GTX 970 mini | Samsung 850 EVO 250GB | Crucial Ballistix (2x8GB) | Corsair CX600M | CoolerMaster Seidon 120V | CoolerMaster Elite 110 | Windows 10 64-bit
Illegalseagull View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Illegalseagull Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 May 2015 at 9:17am
Yeah, I didn't really follow my own advice, either...

My GTX660TI is a good card, but there are a lot of people that would have bought a newer/better card for a build like this.  I got it from a friend, so the price was too good to pass up.  Also, I play on a 1080P tv, so high-high resolution gaming isn't a requirement.  If I were going to push to 1440P or 4k, I think I would have looked to 970...$$$Dead
ASROCK Z97M OC Formula
Intel i5 - 4690K @ 4.5ghz
Stable Overclock
zzWizards_Realmzz View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote zzWizards_Realmzz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 May 2015 at 9:27am
Very nice -- the case looks clean and I like the big radiator hoses.  I have an air cooled computer :(  Maybe some day I get one of these fancy ASRock boards and upgrade to an i5 like yourself.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Illegalseagull Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 May 2015 at 9:33am
I saw a review where they said that Corsair did the larger sleeved hoses on their most recent refresh...the earlier models had smaller looking tubes...I like the look of it.  Thanks!
ASROCK Z97M OC Formula
Stable Overclock

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Illegalseagull Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 May 2015 at 9:50am
Here are some more pics from my build...

Look at how the ASRock motherboard box got thrashed in the mail!  I was worried, but there was no harm done afterall...

I had been torn between this ASRock OC Formula board and the ASRock K1LLER Gaming board.  I liked the blood red aluminum heatsinks on the Gaming board more, but in the end, I knew that a high and reliable overclock was more important to me, so I went with the OC Formula version, which I think might boast better PWM power modules, etc.  Building this thing was a dream...I find myself recommending the ASRock boards along with the all-in-one water coolers to my friends...so much performance, easy install, and prices are good.  The "overclock" boards that some other brands are selling are just silly $$$...this OC Formula kicks butt.Clap

Edited by Illegalseagull - 25 May 2015 at 9:55am
ASROCK Z97M OC Formula
Stable Overclock
zzWizards_Realmzz View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote zzWizards_Realmzz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 May 2015 at 9:56am
Very good to hear the motherboard worked out well.  I too have had my share of computer components getting abused in the mail -- I don't know who is to blame, NewEgg or the shipping companies.  Luckily I haven't had anything damaged before it even arrived.
muffint0p96 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote muffint0p96 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 May 2015 at 9:56am
Originally posted by Illegalseagull Illegalseagull wrote:

Originally posted by muffint0p96 muffint0p96 wrote:

Super jealous.  Looks like a great machine! Any tips for a newbie?

Muffin

Thanks!  

I'm not sure what you like to do with your computer, but if you're like a lot of folks, you do a mix of basic internet and medium-duty gaming.

If that description fits you, consider some of the following items in your build:

1)  www.pcpartspicker.com does a good job of showing you compatible computer parts and competitive pricing.  They have a good website that you can use as a guide through the build process.

Parts compatibility is key.  Most of this is going to become more obvious after some research, but at first it can seem confusing.  Don't be afraid to post your build to message boards (like here, Tom's Hardware, pcpartspicker, etc.) to try to get other peoples' opinions.  They will ALWAYS suggest you spend more money and get fancier stuff than you had in mind, but the main thing you're looking for is someone to catch a mistake or notice something wonky before you spend your money.

2)  Even though the processor is the sexy, popular part of computer for most people, if you are a gamer, the graphics card is at least as important.

So consider a balance.  If you don't know what overclocking is--and don't care to--grab a mid-level Intel i5, or an AMD FX-8350--a popular motherboard that has a lot of reviews on newegg.com, memory, power supply, and a graphics card in the $150-$250 range.  This should suit you well on 1080p resolution displays for most games.

3)  Overclocking is more for fun than necessity.  If you are just getting into building, and you must wring every ounce of performance out of your rig, overclocking is a fun side-hobby you can do to get more oomph for your dollar....that said, you usually end up spending more on the components if it ends up being your focus...so mostly, I think, it is for fun.  IF you want to overlock, grab a better cpu cooler (The Coolermaster Seidon is a good value in all-in-one watercooling), a motherboard that will support your tuning with durability and a wide feature set (so no old OEM or low-spec <$50 aftermarket mobos), and an Intel processor that ends in a "K", like the 4690K, 4790K...another option is AMD's "Black Edition" chips, like the FX8350, etc.  These chips will have "unlocked multipliers" that will let you go a LOT further with your efforts.

4)  Get help!    Go on message boards, talk to people, look up "overclocking guides" if you're into overclocking.  Don't be afraid to ask for help.  Many experts ( I'm no expert) are happy to help you succeed.  Have fun!Big smile

Wow man, this is great!  Thank you for all the information.  I am definitely looking to game mostly and my husband is into this stuff too so I think we can come up with a pretty great build.  I will make sure to post my creation here when done!

Big smile
long time Laptop user
Want to build a gaming beast
Smart computer terms
Smart computer terms
xxx420BlazeItxxx View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote xxx420BlazeItxxx Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 May 2015 at 10:25am
THIS IS MY BUILD!!!1! Or it will be. I love the Z97M. The best motherboard around IMHO. For the micro size at least...and the color is good to LOL!

I think Id want more RAM in my build. RAM makes the OC and the fastest ram is the only way to get to the top, where I want to be! LOL JK I like yours alot and I hope mine comes out as good. Its great how ur helping everybody with ur comments. I hope I can get this pro some day. 
Your never going to see what you can't become unless you stop and try to achieve it

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Illegalseagull Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 May 2015 at 10:31am
420blaze

Thanks!  Yeah, I would like to have more ram, for sure...I have one friend that wants to sell me a kit of uber-fast stuff, but another friend that told me not to bother, because ram speed doesn't really matter he said?  I still don't see how ram speed doesn't matter, but whatever

I know right now I have the 8gb, and it usually just sits around 30% being used...so I'm not sure if I really do need more here?

I spend a lot of time on boards and things looking at peoples' builds, and it seems like a lot of folks are running 16gb ram...
ASROCK Z97M OC Formula
Stable Overclock

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Illegalseagull Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 May 2015 at 10:39am
Originally posted by xxx420BlazeItxxx xxx420BlazeItxxx wrote:

THIS IS MY BUILD!!!1! Or it will be. I love the Z97M. The best motherboard around IMHO. For the micro size at least...and the color is good to LOL!

I think Id want more RAM in my build. RAM makes the OC and the fastest ram is the only way to get to the top, where I want to be! LOL JK I like yours alot and I hope mine comes out as good. Its great how ur helping everybody with ur comments. I hope I can get this pro some day. 

I know on my last build (775 socket) was tied to the speed of the fsb...so if oyu wanted to crank your processor speed way up, you had to have fast 1066, 1200mhz speed ram to keep up...and that was pricey...for me, my build ended up being limited by how fast I could drive my memory...maybe this is what you are thinking of?

If you've been away from building a computer for a while, the newer 1150 socket processors run unlinked from the ram...so you don't need to run crazy expensive overclocked ram just to crank your processor speed up to the limit.  just a tip, to try to keep budget down.

Unless you want to buy crazy fast ram...HMMM

On my board, I started out by just running the ASRock Formula drive program, setting it to "Performance" and go to "Advanced" and "set to 4.5ghz Turbo".  It was almost too easy....Big smileBig smileBig smile
ASROCK Z97M OC Formula
Stable Overclock
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234>
  Share Topic