ASRock.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Technical Support > AMD Motherboards
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search Search  Events   Register Register  Login Login

B450M Steel Legend can't boot

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Auron Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: B450M Steel Legend can't boot
    Posted: 29 Nov 2020 at 2:23pm
Hi all,

Having trouble with my B450M Steel Legend motherboard.

I recently updated the BIOs to 3.60 which did say on the support page supports Ryzen 5000 series. I have noticed now it does not.

The problem I am having is if I change a setting in my BIOs save and reboot I just get a black screen. This is extremely frustrating as I then have to take my PC out of the small space its in open it up and remove the BIOs battery.

When I do this 9/10 times when trying to POST the motherboard just turns on black screen then reboot loops or stays on and does nothing.

I have also tried to power drain before and after taking the battery out which worked once or twice however no longer appears to be working to get the system to post.

I am in between trying to fix a totally messed up Windows install as well so this is just more frustration ontop.

If someone can help that would be great. Is this BIOs buggy??? I also noticed after flashing this BIOs the POST beep sounds different to the standard POST beep you would normally hear on a computer or this motherboard (there are no extra beeps just the one to confirm post). Should it have changed they way it sounds with this update?

Cheers,

Auron
Auron View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Auron Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Nov 2020 at 2:24pm
Forgot to mention BIOs was upgraded as I am considering getting a 5000 series CPU I am currently using a 3200G.
kortiz2702 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kortiz2702 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Nov 2020 at 11:47am
IM HAVING THE SAME EXACT PROBLEM LIKE YOU I JUST UPDATE TO THE NEWEST VERSION FOR AMD 5000 SERIES AND THAT sh*t HAPPENS. I TRY THE BATTERY PROCESS LIKE 7 TIMES BUT DIDNT WORK.

PLEASE SOME BODY HELP US I NEED MY PC BACK.
ThreeDee View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ThreeDee Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Dec 2020 at 8:57pm
3200g is a Raven Ridge APU

I'd recommend flashing back to previous BIOS revision that worked for you.

Incidentally, I'm not seeing any BIOS revision being marked as compatible with Ryzen 5000 series... ?
|Ryzen 5 5900|ASRock X570 Taichi-BIOS 4.60|2x16GB HyperX Predator RGB 3200@3600 1:1 IF|ASRock RX 6700XT|2 x PCIe 4.0 M.2 Drives for OS & Games|850 WTT Seasonic 80+ Titanium PSU|Noctua NH-D15|
Auron View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Auron Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Dec 2020 at 8:33am
Originally posted by kortiz2702 kortiz2702 wrote:

IM HAVING THE SAME EXACT PROBLEM LIKE YOU I JUST UPDATE TO THE NEWEST VERSION FOR AMD 5000 SERIES AND THAT sh*t HAPPENS. I TRY THE BATTERY PROCESS LIKE 7 TIMES BUT DIDNT WORK.

PLEASE SOME BODY HELP US I NEED MY PC BACK.

I managed to flash back to 2.90 which is what my board came with. After taking CMOS battery out I put it back in and left my machine powered off via the wall after discharging power for 24hrs. I managed to get back into the BIOS and reflash. Hopefully you can do the same.
Auron View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Auron Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Dec 2020 at 8:37am
Originally posted by ThreeDee ThreeDee wrote:

3200g is a Raven Ridge APU

I'd recommend flashing back to previous BIOS revision that worked for you.

Incidentally, I'm not seeing any BIOS revision being marked as compatible with Ryzen 5000 series... ?

Most recent BIOS update on the page no longer confirms 5000 series support so unsure if its included in that BIOS update now.

I originally saw a beta BIOS for 5000 series on reddit and figured I would wait until it was official on the b450m webpage on asrock website which it was flashed it and had problems. Within about 24-48hours the description on that specific BIOS version changed from saying '5000 series support' to 'optimized stability' or something to that effect.

Would have been good if the ended up removing 5000 series support from that BIOS version for them to at least have a message up how users can flash/boot back into BIOS with current version to flash back. I am quite disappointed about this.

I have flashed back to 2.90 and have not had time to work on my machine so hopefully things are back to normal when I power it back up shortly.

In future I think I will wait several months to be dead certain the BIOS version is stable before flashing.
ThreeDee View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ThreeDee Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Dec 2020 at 3:16pm
I am constantly trying new BIOS's and the most recent ones have been trash for the x570 Taichi and the x570 Steel Legend as far as memory stability
|Ryzen 5 5900|ASRock X570 Taichi-BIOS 4.60|2x16GB HyperX Predator RGB 3200@3600 1:1 IF|ASRock RX 6700XT|2 x PCIe 4.0 M.2 Drives for OS & Games|850 WTT Seasonic 80+ Titanium PSU|Noctua NH-D15|
Xaltar View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Xaltar Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Dec 2020 at 11:27pm
I say this every new launch, before updating to support new CPUs wait for a few
months so the AGESA is mature. The only time I would update during a new launch
is if I already have the new CPU in hand. AMD is still terrible with launching
before the AGESA is mature.

Some of us update for the challenge/fun of it but we do so knowing the risks.

B450 boards do not support Ryzen 5000 at this time. I believe there are some
rumors that it will be supported at some point but nothing official, yet. As far as
I am aware the support will only happen some time in the beginning of next year.

Edited by Xaltar - 02 Dec 2020 at 11:31pm
Auron View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Auron Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Dec 2020 at 2:30pm
Kind of wish I got a screen shot showing that it did say Ryzen 5k support. Its a shame they don't provide any real details with the BIOS update apart from the really small description but it was there when I initially flashed, as mentioned they changed the description. Kind of wish I had a 5k series CPU in hand already to test.

Already deleted the BIOS file as well since I figured it was now 'official' so I could flash then delete the BIOS file after.

https://www.pcgamer.com/au/amd-ryzen-5000-b450-bios-update-motherboard

https://wccftech.com/asrock-supports-amd-ryzen-5000-vermeer-desktop-cpus-on-its-b450-lineup/
Auron View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Auron Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Dec 2020 at 2:33pm
Originally posted by ThreeDee ThreeDee wrote:

I am constantly trying new BIOS's and the most recent ones have been trash for the x570 Taichi and the x570 Steel Legend as far as memory stability

My board is so picky with Ram I purchased Ram with the same part number which ended up having different chips on it and would cause BSOD's (It didn't read back as Kingston branded Ram which is what it was). Ended up returning this Ram and buying the same part again elsewhere and this time the stick was reading Kingston in CPU-Z no BSOD's.

The amount of time I wasted trying to resolve the issue thinking surely the board wasn't the issue really ticked me off. If I didn't manage to get my board working again after this recent BIOS flash I was planning on returning it.

I am not sure how common it is with BIOS updates to be put on an official website for consumers if its still classed as beta, however this is the first time I have encountered this and such issues after a BIOS flash.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic