ASRock.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Technical Support > AMD Motherboards
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search Search  Events   Register Register  Login Login

Fatal1ty 970 Performance problem

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123>
Author
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PetrolHead Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Jan 2016 at 7:32am
Those compatibility lists are probably based solely on what the motherboard manufacturers claim. Sadly these claims are sometimes optimistic.

Since you're having trouble installing Windows it's hard to tell what the problem is exactly. If you can cool the CPU (socket) to roughly 60 C, you could try underclocking the CPU to closer to 3 GHz and some voltage, but I can only guess what that voltage should be and there's no guarantee this will improve the situation. All I can truly say is that you need to get a proper CPU cooler for that thing. Possibly even a better motherboard.

If I may ask, why did you choose an FX-9370 over an FX-8xxx CPU?
Ryzen 5 1500X, ASRock AB350M Pro4, 2x8 GB G.Skill Trident Z 3466CL16, Sapphire Pulse RX Vega56 8G HBM2, Corsair RM550x, Samsung 960 EVO SSD (NVMe) 250GB, Samsung 850 EVO SSD 500 GB, Windows 10 64-bit
VojislavM View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote VojislavM Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Jan 2016 at 7:56am
Firstly I wanted to buy FX-8350 but I got a great deal on New Years sales so I got FX-9370 for the same price as FX-8350.And I've decided to buy 9370 because it's 4,4 Ghz. :) I was guided by the old saying: bigger is better. :D
PetrolHead View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PetrolHead Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Jan 2016 at 8:16am
Let's hope that FX-9370 will not end up costing you more than that FX-8350 would have... A good AIO (all-in-one) water cooler, possibly a new motherboard - these may end up costing quite a bit.
Ryzen 5 1500X, ASRock AB350M Pro4, 2x8 GB G.Skill Trident Z 3466CL16, Sapphire Pulse RX Vega56 8G HBM2, Corsair RM550x, Samsung 960 EVO SSD (NVMe) 250GB, Samsung 850 EVO SSD 500 GB, Windows 10 64-bit
wardog View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wardog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Jan 2016 at 8:19am
Originally posted by VojislavM VojislavM wrote:

I keep it always open with lids removed for better cooling.

But have you verified the running with the side panel off actually allows the system to run cooler?

That belief is an old wives tale that's been perpetuated for many many years now.

Unless the case has only one 80-92mm intake and one 80-92mm exhaust, chances are having the side panel on is much better at cooling. Most of those 80-92mm two fan cases shouldn't even be sold today for use on a modern system. Maybe a P4 or Athlon XP. I'm not saying your case is or isn't one of those but if it is, buy a new case.

Even the lowliest of case manufactures out there today put a little thought into air flow accommodations.
WKjun View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote WKjun Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Jan 2016 at 9:51pm

Hello!

I have had some horrible experiences with that combo. Please, take a look at my thread. This MB is absolutely unsuitable for the FX-9000 line of CPUs. Two boards bit the dust within some weeks of usage, while being utterly unable to get the Turbo Mode stable.

It is no difference whether you use the FX-9590 or FX-9370, both 220W TDP - I disagree with the monster term, though, because an OC'ed FX-CPU will propably reach an even higher consumption, these are hand-picked so to say. The only board I recommend for these CPUs is the ASUS Sabertooth 990FX R2.0 with its 5 years warranty - subject to High-End 990FX ASRock boards, I didn't try.

"970 Performance FX-9590 overheating / RAM incomp."
http://forum.asrock.com/forum_posts.asp?TID=660&SID=321724859cdzc6a45az22d91z89aa8190740741&title=970-performance-fx9590-overheating-ram-incomp

With my Noctua NH-D14 cooler & NT-H1 compound, the CPU has gotten 60° idle in BIOS. But this value is measured on-board and not on-chip, therefore inaccurate. But even so, 80° is far too hot! It should not exceed 60-65° under full load! In my case the CPU temp was not the problem, but the VRM temp.

Be warned that many self-contained water coolers are not as good as decent air coolers. The biggest disadvantage is, that it does not passively cool surrounding components, like chipset and VRMs, which is so important here. And most of the fans are not silent, while pump noise is often noticeable.

Back to the board. In the end, this board has a too weak VRM cooling solution, a dangerous default setting in BIOS (CPU Offset Voltage) which needlessly stresses the VRM, RAM setup didn't work like it should and Turbo was unstable. It wasn't the CPU, the Power Supply or anything else. It definetly was that 970 Performance series, which hasn't been mid-term tested (for obvious reasons, as AMD and expecially FX-9000 users become less and less).

Edited by WKjun - 15 Jan 2016 at 10:02pm
PC1: FX-9590@def|290 |16GB@2133|Sabertooth 990FX R2.0
PC2: FX-8320@4.5|290 |16GB@2133| "
PC3: FX-9590@def|280X|16GB@2133| "
PC4: FX-9370@def|280X|16GB@2133| "
PC5: FX-6300@4.6|7950|16GB@1866|990FX-UD3
VojislavM View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote VojislavM Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Jan 2016 at 10:10pm
Thanks for all your answers!I definitely realized that this combination of hardware is not good.Firstly I've realized that memory that I bought isn't compatible and that this MoBo can use only memories which are on memory support list.Beside that now you've listed some other problems so I definitely have to change MoBo. Unhappy
wardog View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wardog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Jan 2016 at 10:51pm
Originally posted by WKjun WKjun wrote:

The only board I recommend for these CPUs is the ASUS Sabertooth 990FX R2.0

I've built at least 20 systems using the FX-9k processors on ASRocks 990FX Extreme9 since it first came out and none have come back with any issue relates to vrm/cpu/heat issues.

I will concur that the Fatal1ity 970 Performance is not for the 220W FX series processors. I've seen and replied to here and elsewhere too many VRM issues when coupled with the FX-9k processors.
VojislavM View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote VojislavM Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Jan 2016 at 11:32pm
And what if I provide good cooling for VRM with additional fan?Will that work ok?
wardog View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wardog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Jan 2016 at 11:52pm

And what if I provide good cooling for VRM with additional fan?Will that work ok?

Maybe yet if I were you I'd seriously consider another board to run that FX-9k of yours on. I really would. Some days it seems everyone has an issue with that 970/FX9k combo. Just not a dependable combo to own.

If you plan to overclock, absolutely use one of the motherboards mentioned above. I wouldn't count on an extra fan blowing over the vrms if I was going to OC. Not one minute would I.

Get a new board or a lessor processor.
wardog View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wardog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Jan 2016 at 12:02am
Originally posted by wardog wardog wrote:

Maybe yet if I were you I'd seriously consider another board to run that FX-9k of yours on. I really would. Some days it seems everyone has an issue with that 970/FX9k combo. Just not a dependable combo to own.

If you plan to overclock, absolutely use one of the motherboards mentioned above. I wouldn't count on an extra fan blowing over the vrms if I was going to OC. Not one minute would I.

Get a new board or a lessor processor.

Regardless of what you do, when using water-cooling it is practically a given that an additional fan blowing over the VRM section is a MUST.

They need a good source of free flowing and directed air over them or their heatsink covering them. There's no getting around that.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123>
  Share Topic