ASRock.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Technical Support > Intel Motherboards
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - Booting from another disk with samsung sm951 insta
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search Search  Events   Register Register  Login Login

Booting from another disk with samsung sm951 insta

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lez501 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Booting from another disk with samsung sm951 insta
    Posted: 25 May 2015 at 4:40am
Hello everyone

I hope someone can help - I had a dual boot system working very well in my extreme 6 PC (windows 7 HP on a Samsung 840 pro, and win 8.1 on a Sandisk Extreme).  I was able to enter bios, select the first boot device and boot to the required version of windows I wanted, always been happy with that situation.  However, with the extreme 6 having the ability to use, and boot from a M.2 x4 device, I decided it was foolish not to utilize it.  So I bought and installed a Samsung SM951 in my Extreme 6 MoBo to install win 8 on  - all went smooth without any problems.  Now however, when I go into bios and select the samsung 840 pro with win 7 on, it will not boot from it and defaults to win 8 on the sm951 everytime.  However, the Samsung 840 pro remains as the first boot device.

I hope someone can help resolve this as it the drive that contains my emails and office software (I know I can re-install the office software, however, I would loose all my emails as I had not backed them up)

TIA

Regards
Lez
parsec View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote parsec Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 May 2015 at 7:30am
I assume your "extreme 6 PC" has a Z97 Extreme6 board? If so, are you using UEFI version 2.10?

Have you tried removing the SM951 and then booting from the 840 Pro? If you cannot resolve the failure of the dual booting configuration, you may be able to retrieve your emails that way.

Questions:

When you installed Win 8 on the SM951, did you have any of your other drives connected and powered on in that PC?

When you installed the SM951, did you set any options in the UEFI/BIOS to allow the SM951 to be a bootable device?

What do the entries in the boot order for the two drives look like? That is, what is the full wording of each entry?
Lez501 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lez501 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Jun 2015 at 7:55am
Many apologies for the late response, have been incapacitated due to illness (I am physically disabled with spinal problems) - and thank you for your reply.

Yes, my self build PC does have the Z97 Extreme 6 board, and it's UEFI version is 2.10
Yes, with the sm951 removed, I can boot to the 840 pro, however, none of the USB port will work.
No, when I installed the SM951 it was the only drive in the system.
No, I set no options in the bios - just burned the win 8 iso file to a usb stick, chose "Launch EFI Shell from Filesystem Device" - the install process then went ahead without a hitch (and very quick).
On entering the "boot" section of bios, I select first boot device, drop down to the Samsung 840 Pro, hit f10 and enter.  The subsequent re-boot just takes me back to win 8 on the sm951.  Entering bios still show the 840 pro has first boot device.

I have now re-installed my office software and found a way to get all my emails back, so that's no longer a problem.  Still would like to be able to have a dual boot system though.  I do have a little knowledge with the hardware side of PC's, however, I'm not too hot on advanced bios settings.

regards
Lez

parsec View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote parsec Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Jun 2015 at 8:58am
Originally posted by Lez501 Lez501 wrote:

Many apologies for the late response, have been incapacitated due to illness (I am physically disabled with spinal problems) - and thank you for your reply.

Yes, my self build PC does have the Z97 Extreme 6 board, and it's UEFI version is 2.10
Yes, with the sm951 removed, I can boot to the 840 pro, however, none of the USB port will work.
No, when I installed the SM951 it was the only drive in the system.
No, I set no options in the bios - just burned the win 8 iso file to a usb stick, chose "Launch EFI Shell from Filesystem Device" - the install process then went ahead without a hitch (and very quick).
On entering the "boot" section of bios, I select first boot device, drop down to the Samsung 840 Pro, hit f10 and enter.  The subsequent re-boot just takes me back to win 8 on the sm951.  Entering bios still show the 840 pro has first boot device.

I have now re-installed my office software and found a way to get all my emails back, so that's no longer a problem.  Still would like to be able to have a dual boot system though.  I do have a little knowledge with the hardware side of PC's, however, I'm not too hot on advanced bios settings.

regards
Lez

Not to worry, I understand how spinal problems can be. As long as you're back we can continue. Smile

This caught my attention: "... just burned the win 8 iso file to a usb stick, chose "Launch EFI Shell from Filesystem Device" - the install process then went ahead without a hitch (and very quick)."

That is an unusual and interesting way to install Windows 8. Not something I've ever heard of doing, intriguing actually. What was the motivation to do that?

While the method of installing Windows on a SM951 is not quite the same as a standard SATA SSD, it is usually done by choosing the USB flash drive with the Windows 8 iso file as the boot device. Whether or not the method you used is any different in its result is the question.

It is also unusual that you can boot from the SM951 without an option in the UEFI/BIOS being set in a specific way. I use a SM951 myself as my Win 8.1 OS drive, and used the method I described above.

I know you said you did not change any options in the BIOS, but I have questions about that. It is very important that you check these settings in the UEFI/BIOS:

Is Secure Boot Enabled?
Is the CSM option, in the UEFI/BIOS Boot screen, set to Disabled? If set to Enabled, are any of its sub-options set to anything besides Legacy only?

Regarding the Win 8 installation on the SM951, did you simply choose the Install now option, or did you select the Custom installation option, and format the SM951 with the option available?

I'd also like you to take a look at the SM951 in Device Manager. Does it look similar to this:

I suspect that the method you used to install Win 8 on the SM951 is related to your problem with booting from the 840 Pro. I am not certain about that, which is one reason I'd like you to verify everything I asked about. I would highly appreciate it if you would, as it truly will help me with your issue, as well as give me more insights into using the Windows 8 EFI bootloader, which should be what is happening with any SM951.

I have my previous Win 8.1 installation still existing on a Sandisk Extreme Pro SSD in my PC using the same board as you, and now with a SM951. I must connect the Sandisk SSD to that PC again to test if I can boot from either drive, although they use the same installation key.

I hope you are able to check the things I asked about for you and me. Handshake
Lez501 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lez501 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Jun 2015 at 1:35am
Hi, and thanks once again for your continued help, it's much appreciated.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

This caught my attention: "... just burned the win 8 iso file to a usb stick, chose "Launch EFI Shell from Filesystem Device" - the install process then went ahead without a hitch (and very quick)."

That is an unusual and interesting way to install Windows 8. Not something I've ever heard of doing, intriguing actually. What was the motivation to do that?

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

No motivation, I plugged the usb drive in, chose the usb device containing the iso file, upon re-boot, the win 8 install screen just started automatically (as it would if installing from a DVD drive)

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I know you said you did not change any options in the BIOS, but I have questions about that. It is very important that you check these settings in the UEFI/BIOS:

Is Secure Boot Enabled?
Is the CSM option, in the UEFI/BIOS Boot screen, set to Disabled? If set to Enabled, are any of its sub-options set to anything besides Legacy only?

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Yes, secure boot is enabled - CSM is also enabled and all sub items are set to legacy only.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Regarding the Win 8 installation on the SM951, did you simply choose the Install now option, or did you select the Custom installation option, and format the SM951 with the option available?

I'd also like you to take a look at the SM951 in Device Manager. Does it look similar to this:

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Yes, just chose install now, win 8 took care of everything else

Yes, exactly the same.

" border="">

Lez501 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lez501 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Jun 2015 at 3:49am
Sorry, meant to  say that Serure Boot is DISABLED
Lez501 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lez501 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Jun 2015 at 9:19pm
Problems are much worse now.......

Removing the SM951 from the system allowed me to boot from the 840 pro containing Win 7 HP.  OK so far I thought, but the mouse/keyboard will not work.  I have moved the receiver from USB port to USB port, but the problem remains.  At this point I decided to reinstall Win 7 on the 840 pro.  After choosing the DVD drive as the first boot option then -> F10 -> Enter, the installation screen for Win 7 appears.  However, I cannot progress beyond the initial language/keyboard screen as, you guessed it, the USB keyboard and mouse are still not functioning.  Going back to BIOS settings shows all USB ports are enabled.  I have reset the UEFI back to defaults, but it's still doing the same. 

Tearing my hair out now, I know installing to the SM951 was a bit problematic, but surely the board should work normally when it's removed from the system.
Lez501 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lez501 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Jun 2015 at 5:07pm
Have now managed to get the system to boot from the 840 Pro.

Backed up the drive with acronis TIH 2015 - Deleted the partitions on the 840 - used acronis disk director to convert the 840 to GPT - restored the back-up to the 840 (noticed that an efi partition was created) - go back to bios and chose "boot option #1" (under boot option priorities), there is now 2 entries for windows boot manager (one for the sm951 and one for the 840)

Now, in Win 7 on the 840, all the USB ports from intel z97 controllers are not functioning, however, the asrock usb ports are working.  According to windows device manager, all usb drivers are present and functioning correctly.

Is there a way to flag this post for attention of Asrock Technicians as I need to get this board functioning as it should do. 
parsec View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote parsec Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Jun 2015 at 2:10pm
If you are trying to use USB 3.0 ports for the mouse and keyboard with the Win 7 installation, and unless you added a USB 2.0 port adapter to your PC case and connected it to the board, you must be, then I'm not surprised the mouse and keyboard don't work. If your PC case has any USB 2.0 ports, use those for the mouse and keyboard temporarily.

Try different options for the USB 3.0 ports in the BIOS, I forget which one works to get the USB 3.0 ports cooperating (no "ASRock USB ports" on this board, Intel and ASMedia only), it's a compatibility option. Sorry, to tired right now to check... Confused

I had the same problems with my board when installing the first OS. Win 7 does not have any native USB 3.0 driver, so they don't work right. I use a four port USB 2.0 adapter that fits in a PCIe slot on the back of my PC case, and connects to the USB 2.0 headers on the board. That's what I use for my mouse and keyboard, both wireless. I had to use a wired mouse with a USB to PS2 adapter (!!) before an OS was installed.

I suggest you uninstall any USB 3.0 drivers in the Win 7 installation, restart the PC, and install the drivers again, and restart the PC. That should fix the registry entries for the USB 3.0 ports, which are wrong now.

I don't use USB 2.0 mice and keyboards in USB 3.0 ports, so you may have identified an issue I don't notice. The compatibility option in the BIOS for USB 3.0 is your best bet, but reinstall the drivers too.

You answered most of my questions, thanks. Geek
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic