ASRock.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Technical Support > HTPC&Gaming Barebone&Others
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search Search  Events   Register Register  Login Login

X300 Deskmini slow USB transfers

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MackenK Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: X300 Deskmini slow USB transfers
    Posted: 28 Dec 2020 at 8:34am
Hi all,

First time poster

Anywho, I have been trying to re-arrange my video's on to some WD 5tb external drives. When I run CrystalDiskMark I get 120 MB a sec average scores. But when transfering from one drive to another usually have transfers in the 15 MB range. Changed "policies" (yes, running windoz) to "better performance" and other minor fixes I found on the net to no avail. Then saw suggestion to install latest usb driver. Didn't find a usb driver on Asrock site so downloaded AMD chipset driver ver:2.05.04.352 and installed it. And, yes siree bob, I was getting 115 MB. That was last night. This morning after re-boot I'm back to 15 MB/sec.

I have a WD passport plugged in the back 3.0 port transfering to a WD Easystore in the front 3.0 port. No other peripherals or hubs attached.

I believe I have eliminated all other possible suspects either Windoze or the chipset.

Any thoughts would be appreciated.
Thanks in advance for your help

X300 DeskMini
Windows 10 Home 20H2
4650G
16 GB mem
ADATA SX8200PNP 1GB
WD My Passport 5TB
WD EasyStore 5TB
ASRock_TSD View Drop Down
ASRock_Official
ASRock_Official

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ASRock_TSD Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Dec 2020 at 5:33pm
Dear MackenK,

Thank you for choosing ASRock and contacting us.
Regarding your case, we tested at our lab but cannot duplicate your symptoms.
We use two USB flash drive to transfer the data, can works at around 100MB/sec.

Please test to transfer the DATA from your external drives to OS SSD and OS SSD to external drives.

Test Configuration:
CPU: Pro 4650G
SSD: ADATA SX6000
USB flash drive: SanDisk Ultra Flair USB 3.0 x2
Chipset Driver: v2.05.04.352

Thank you!
Yours truly,
ASRock TSD
aforumuser View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote aforumuser Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Jan 2021 at 12:05am
Originally posted by MackenK MackenK wrote:

I have a WD passport plugged in the back 3.0 port transfering to a WD Easystore in the front 3.0 port.

Please lookup the exact model of harddisk you are writing to whether it is a convential (CMR) or shingled (SMR) type of harddisk. High capacity disks are usually SMR today.

Writing several GBs to a SMR harddisk is at first very fast, but then they slow down significantly when their inbound cache is full. This is normal behaviour for SMR type harddisks and has nothing to do with the host platform.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic