ASRock.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Technical Support > AMD Motherboards
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search Search  Events   Register Register  Login Login

Asrock Taichi X570 issues

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jinu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Asrock Taichi X570 issues
    Posted: 04 Feb 2021 at 11:42am
I have just setup my new config

- AMD Ryzen 5600x
- ASROCK Taichi x570
- Crucial Ballistix RGB 3600 MHz DDR4 DRAM - 32GB
- Corsair MP600 512 GB SSD
- Gigabyte 3060TI Gaming OC graphics card
- Lian li Galahad 360 AIO
- Antec HCG 850W gold PSU

1. When i switch on the PSU and press the power button, the power and reset switch on the motherboard should light up. On my board it does not, though the other RGB lights on the motherboard come on.

2. When i push the power button the motherboard goes through one power cycle i.e before the motherboard logo comes on the screen the motherboard switches of (stays off for about 3-5 secs) and then automatically reboots and then it boots fine. This happens only if i switch on and off the power supply and happens every time I switch off and on the PSU.

3. When i shutdown the PC from windows, after shutdown the lights of the power and reset button on the motherboard come on. I guess this is the actual and expected behavior and now if i switch on the PC it boots up without power cycling.

4. If i switch off the PSU and on it again, then the issues mentioned in points 1 and 2 above repeat. And this happens every time I power off the pSU and switch it on.

I took the board back to my dealer thinking the board was the issue. He tested the board using a AMD 3000 series CPU (as he did not have a spare 5000 series in hand), but there I noticed the following
- The power and reset switch on the motherboard lights up as it should when i press the power button.
- There is no one time power cycling issue.

I am confident there is nothing wrong with my CPU as it works fine on a Gigabyte X570 motherboard. So the dealer took a new Taichi X570 board and showed that it worked fine with the AMD 3000 series processor. He also upgraded the BIOS of the new board to 4.0 using the 3000 series processor. Then we put my CPU and tested and it would not post and was showing error "D2" in the Dr Debug LED display. I had faced the same issue on my original board which was resolved by updating BIOS using the BIOS Flashback Button

So we did that and then the new board started behaving exactly like my board and the same behavior mentioned above is repeated on the new board.

After this one time power cycle the system boots perfectly. Also if i restart from windows or shutdown from windows and then restart the PC (without switching off the power supply) the system boots perfectly without any power cycle. I also did a stress test in windows for 3 hours and the system was stable.

I believe the BIOS Flashback messed things up and is causing the problem. I tried everything to reset the BIOS (BIOS Reset, BIOS clear Button and even removed the BIOS battery for 12 hours) but the behavior is exactly the same.

I have created a video of the issue so that you get a better understanding of the same - https://youtu.be/XTlxm_p2NHk

So my issues:
- Why the board not post even though the latest BIOS was loaded using the 3000 series CPU ?
- Why is the board religiously doing the one time power cycle every time i Switch off and on the power supply
- Why is the power and reset switch not lighting up when i press the power button?

Please advice if anyone knows what the issue is and how it can be resolved.
muziqaz View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote muziqaz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Feb 2021 at 3:14pm
D2 code is PCH initialization error. That can be anything from SSD/HDDs to USBs.
Maybe board does not like all the bells and whistles coming with other parts. Try removing everything except CPU, GPU and 1 stick or RAM in second slot from CPU and then cold boot to see if you still get this issue.
Does BIOS lose its settings on cold boot by any chance?

D2 code has been unanswered mystery throughout the years, from what I can search.
folding@home
jinu View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jinu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Feb 2021 at 3:47pm
When the D2 Code came there was nothing connected to the motherboard only the CPU, 1 RAM stick and Graphics card and PSU. But the error was resolved by updating BIOS using the BIOS Flashback Button. But that created its own set of issues which i mentioned in the post.
muziqaz View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote muziqaz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Feb 2021 at 3:51pm
Cold boot double POST might be due to unstable memory or failing RAM training on post :)
folding@home
jinu View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jinu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Feb 2021 at 5:16pm
How do i identify this ? I tried memtest and it is fine reports no errors. I checked the timings in the BIOS and that also seems to at the rated value. It also matches the value the system shows once windows is booted.
muziqaz View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote muziqaz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Feb 2021 at 8:06pm
Try leaving XMP profile to auto, and set memory speed to something silly low, like 2133Mhz. Then save BIOS settings and shut down the PC. Cold start it and see if you're still getting same issue.

memory training fails specifically identified, that was my guess. Unfortunately Asrock does not give us an option to set Pre-POST DRAM voltage, which can help with training issues.
folding@home
jinu View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jinu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Feb 2021 at 8:39pm
I tried what you suggested. Kept the XMP profile to Auto and set the freq to 2133. The issue still continues.

Any ideas on how to reset the BIOS completely. Because i have a feeling its related to the BIOS as the problem seems to be related to the BIOS flashback process.

Remember in addition to the power cycle issue which is the major point. There is another minor issue of the power and reset button lights not coming on when i press the power button.
muziqaz View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote muziqaz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Feb 2021 at 3:05am
Maybe flashback to the oldest BIOS which supports 5000 series, and then flash them one by one to the latest.
I'm running out of ideas here

Also, my power/reset buttons on motherboard (x570 taichi) are off while PC is running. When I flip the PSU switch, power/reset button continuously flash (slowly). However they do light up when I press power button, and obviously I have no double restart
folding@home
jinu View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jinu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Feb 2021 at 1:00pm
Thanks so much for this suggestion. It worked. The following was the results of my testing starting from the oldest version of the BIOS that supports 5000 series CPU to the latest version.

3.4 - worked for non XMP profile. Does not allow saving of XMP profile shows D0 error and reboots and then forces the DRAM to auto mode
3.61 - works and seems stable for XMP and Non XMP profile
3.8 - works and seems stable for XMP and Non XMP profile
4.0 - Failed causes a reboot

The weird thing is i had tested with version 3.8 before and it had not worked. I guess i had to go through the BIOS upgrade in the right sequence and not jump directly.

However the light issue has still not resolved, but i dont care about that anymore. At least the power cycling issue is solved. So i guess I will stick with version 3.8 for now.

Once again thanks for the suggestion.
Spexxos View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Spexxos Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Feb 2021 at 9:05am
I have the same issues you have (had) since updating to bios 4.00. Every bios version before did not have any of the aforementioned issues. Looks to me like Asrock broke something with the newest bios version but since its not really a "big problem" i am just going to let it be and wait for the next bios update.

Just for completion:

x570 taichi
3900x
64gb trident z
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic