ASRock.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Technical Support > Intel Motherboards
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - No Gigabit Z77 Extreme4 LGA 1155 Intel Z77 Win10
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search Search  Events   Register Register  Login Login

No Gigabit Z77 Extreme4 LGA 1155 Intel Z77 Win10

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MrTroy03 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: No Gigabit Z77 Extreme4 LGA 1155 Intel Z77 Win10
    Posted: 25 Jan 2016 at 12:32am
Hello All,

Looking for any tips or advice. I have an ASRock Z77 Extreme4 LGA 1155 Intel Z77, with Windows 10 Home 64bit. I have confirmed on NewEgg that it is the Broadcom BCM57781 chipset, as shown below.

My mobo network card won't do Gigabit ethernet. I didn't notice until now because my old router only did 10/100. Just yesterday I upgraded to a new router that is all 10/100/1000. I can see in the router it is auto negotiating to 100Mbps full duplex. Other LAN ports are all operating at full Gigabit.

My first thought was cable issue, but since I was sitting at the PC I popped open Windows Device Manager and looked at the advanced properties of the card. On the Speed options it shows 10 half and full, 100 half and full, and auto negotiate as shown below.

I am pretty sure that even if the router and cable couldn't do Gigabit it would still show up as an option here to force 1Gbps, even if it wouldn't work. Just to be sure I disconnected the ethernet cable and looked again, same options. I tried other ports on the router as well that work as Gigabit for other devices as well. Same thing.

Here is the driver I have:

As far as I can tell on the ASRock site, this is the latest driver. I couldn't find anything newer on the Broadcom site but I am not confident that I looked properly. The driver is listed for Windows 8.1 on ASRock and there is no newer version for Win10 shown. Is there a newer driver? Does this chipset just not support Gigabit on Windows 10??

Thanks!

Edited by MrTroy03 - 25 Jan 2016 at 12:54am
wardog View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wardog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Jan 2016 at 4:37am
For starters, the "Speed & Duplex" drop down is displayed correctly. And Auto-Negotiate is proper for 1Gbb connection. One would only need  "Force' a lower speed than Gigabit.

Secondly, you've somehow managed to look everywhere except where you should in asking "Does this chipset just not support Gigabit on Windows 10??""

What color is the LED on the NIC port at the rear of your Computer?

Right click Start > choose Network Connections > double click your current wired adapter ; and what is your connected speed?

Are you maybe using a free-standing 10/100 Switch between the computer and Gigabit ports of the new router.

How you could not tell which driver at Broadcomm is newer is well beyond me. They are clearly labeled. Latest is 17.2.0.2 as of today.
http://www.broadcom.com/support/ethernet-nic-netxtreme-i-desktop-mobile
wardog View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wardog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Jan 2016 at 4:50am
Provide the answer I asked, as now after posting I'm rather confident in why you see 10/100 in the router.
MrTroy03 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MrTroy03 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Jan 2016 at 6:02am
wardog, while I appreciate the response, there is no reason to be rude to me.

1. I know there is no need to force negotiation speed, but 1.0Gbps should be in the list if the driver supported that speed. You CAN Force 1.0Gbps but no real reason to, but it is not in the list which means with my current driver I will not get 1Gbps. I posted the screenshot to show that, even with the cable disconnected, 1Gbps wasn't displayed as a speed option. If the chipset and associated driver were even CAPABLE of 1Gbps it would show up in the list regardless of where or what I was connected to.

2. This shows that with the latest driver I could find for my specific chipset, On Windows 10, 1Gbps isn't in the driver.

3. I was at the link you provided before I posted. If you do a Ctrl + F and search for my chipset, BCM57781, you will find 17.2.0.2 is NOT for MY chipset. The lower items are diagnostic tools that ARE for my chipset. The latest driver I could find from Broadcom or ASRock is the version posted in my schreenshot. This is why I posted, to see if someone knew of a URL elsewhere for a newer driver for BCM57781 or god forbid I made a human error and over looked it.

4. I already told you I am connected at 100Mbps, my NIC reports it as does my business class SonicWall TZ-215.

5. I am not using a switch, right from the router port to the NIC. I have tried other ports on the router that work as gigabit for other devices, but I know this isn't a cable or switch or router issue as the 1Gbps speed option doesn't show up as an option for my NIC even with the ethernet cable disconnected. I know in modern times there is no reason to FORCE a negotiation speed, but my point was that, according to the driver loaded, 1Gbps isn't an option on Win 10. It was there in Windows 8 for the same driver. It is a driver issue with Windows 10.

6. If you look at the last sentence of my original post, yes, I indeed DO ask if Windows 10 supports Gigabit with this driver.

It is likely that since this an old chipset on an "old" board there is no newer driver for this chipset that enabled gigabit for Windows 10. That is why I am here asking if someone knows of one.

Edited by MrTroy03 - 25 Jan 2016 at 6:12am
wardog View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wardog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Jan 2016 at 6:36am
That? That wasn't me being rude.

""It is likely that since this an old chipset on an "old" board there is no newer driver for this chipset that enabled gigabit for Windows 10. That is why I am here asking if someone knows of one.""

Now that's being rude !

I wish you the best of luck. Bye.
wardog View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wardog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Jan 2016 at 6:38am
F it dude.

ipconfig /release

ipconfig /renew
wardog View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wardog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Jan 2016 at 6:53am
I mistakenly linked to their NetExtreme PHY's

http://www.broadcom.com/support/ethernet-nic-netlink-57xx

Business class router or not they all work the same. Help yourself but you will not find your "questions" answered in a new driver. It will not show gigabit as an option.

I'm guessing you plain and simply need to issue the above two ipconfig command above. I don't have a SonicWall anymore, sold off my fiber Alcatel 7700(OBX), and am now using ASUS. Huh, go figure

Edited by wardog - 25 Jan 2016 at 6:54am
wardog View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wardog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Jan 2016 at 7:03am
Originally posted by wardog wardog wrote:

I'm guessing you plain and simply need to issue the above two ipconfig command above

Or simply have rebooted the machine and let it renegotiate to gigabit with your new router. Either way is the proper and correct methods when one installs a new router. You're thinking too hard about this and as a result seem, by me anyways, blinded by your thoughts. Just re-read this thread all over again. Your/this apparent stubbornness comes right to the surface.
Xaltar View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Xaltar Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Jan 2016 at 7:04am
Originally posted by MrTroy03 MrTroy03 wrote:

wardog, while I appreciate the response, there is no reason to be rude to me.

I don't see what brought that on, I see no rudeness in the responses given. Please bare in mind that this is a multinational forum and manor of speech can vary broadly from one locale to another. If you feel a response was rude or impolite then please utilize the PM function to either ask the poster if there intention was to be rude or report it to one of the moderators.

You are in good hands with Wardog, he knows what he is talking about and puts a lot of time and effort into his responses. I have not seen him give up on helping another forum member yet. 

Parsec and I (the forum moderators) are constantly on the lookout for inappropriate forum conduct and rest assured we take such matters very seriously. If you feel you are being insulted by another forum member please use the PM function to contact one or both of us rather than post it on the public forum.

Try the commands Wardog posted and post back the results.

Good luck and enjoy the forums Wink
wardog View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wardog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Jan 2016 at 8:09am
Originally posted by MrTroy03 MrTroy03 wrote:

Just to be sure I disconnected the ethernet cable and looked again, same options. I tried other ports on the router as well that work as Gigabit for other devices as well. Same thing.

It was ^^^ line you wrote above, that upon my re-reading, is why I suggested the ipconfig command, or a reboot. 99.99% sure I am that your doing one of those connected you at gigabit.

You must have gotten lucky in the router lottery to have gotten one that has the same DHCP Pool of IPs otherwise you wouldn't have even been able to connect to it at all immediately after swapping that 10/100 over to the 10/100/1000 router.

Again, and only after re-reading, did I realize you most likely only needed to issue those commands or reboot and let your "NIC/Driver" realize gigabit after it renegotiating itself with the NOW gigabit port(s) of the new router.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic