ASRock.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Technical Support > Intel Motherboards
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search Search  Events   Register Register  Login Login

Blank screen when use RAM slot B1/B2

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote IronRod Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Blank screen when use RAM slot B1/B2
    Posted: 25 Feb 2021 at 6:18am
This computer has been running fine with 8GB (full configuration listed at bottom) since January 2016. I wanted to increase the RAM and purchased the exact same make and model RAM (same exact P/N) as is already installed.

However, installing any ram in slots DDR3_B1 and DDR3_B2 causes it to display a blank screen and it doesn't boot. I tried swapping the new RAM in place of the old RAM (DDR3_A1 and DDR3_A2) and that works fine.

So, I confirmed the new RAM is working okay. There is just something wrong when I attempt to use slots DDR3_B1 and DDR3_B2.

Please advise...

Configuration
-------------
MBoard: ASRock Z97 Extreme6
CPU: Intel Core i7-4790 CPU @ 3.60GHz
RAM: G.Skill 4GBx2 DDR3-1866 PC3-14900 (P/N: F3-14900CL9-4GBSR)
Chipset: Intel Haswell, rev 06
Southbridge: Intel Z97, rev 00
BIOS: AMI vP1.70, 12/17/2014
IronRod View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote IronRod Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Feb 2021 at 6:21am
Oh, I forgot to add that it displays a POST code of 55 when those slots are used.
[Couldn't find a way to edit the post.]
Xaltar View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Xaltar Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Feb 2021 at 6:54pm
The preferred slots for 2 RAM modules are A2 and B2, you need to install one module
in each channel to enable dual channel.

Post back here if you still have issues with the RAM in A2 and B2.
IronRod View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote IronRod Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Feb 2021 at 12:33am
I thought I was pretty clear in my post; guess not. So, I'll try again...

I am attempting to use FOUR memory modules, all the same identical part. I have been using 4GBx2 for 6 years in A1/A2 and it has been working fine. I am now trying to use 4GBx4 -- in each of A1/A2 and B1/B2.
RLGL View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RLGL Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Feb 2021 at 3:43am
All 4 need to be a matched set, not two sets of 2.
Asrock Z370 Gaming K6,Intel i7 8700K,
Asrock x570 Taichi

Xaltar View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Xaltar Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Feb 2021 at 8:16pm
Originally posted by IronRod IronRod wrote:

I thought I was pretty clear in my post; guess not. So, I'll try again...

I am attempting to use FOUR memory modules, all the same identical part. I have been using 4GBx2 for 6 years in A1/A2 and it has been working fine. I am now trying to use 4GBx4 -- in each of A1/A2 and B1/B2.

The joys of the internet, I missed your specs. Many prebuilts ship with a single
8gb stick.

My advice still stands though, try 2 modules in slots A2 and B2 and see if you
still have the issue. If so, then one of the channels (the B channel) may be dead
or faulty. All this time you have not been operating in dual channel mode if you
have had the RAM only in the A channel.

If your B channel is dead then try removing the CPU and checking for bent pins and
or debris in the socket or on the contact pads of the CPU. A single pad not making
contact can cause a dead RAM channel.

Good luck and let us know how it goes.
IronRod View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote IronRod Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Mar 2021 at 6:46am
Originally posted by Xaltar Xaltar wrote:

My advice still stands though, try 2 modules in slots A2 and B2 and see if you
still have the issue. If so, then one of the channels (the B channel) may be dead
or faulty. All this time you have not been operating in dual channel mode if you
have had the RAM only in the A channel.

If your B channel is dead then try removing the CPU and checking for bent pins and
or debris in the socket or on the contact pads of the CPU. A single pad not making
contact can cause a dead RAM channel.

Good luck and let us know how it goes.

Thanks; will give that a try.
AINTPULNOUT View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AINTPULNOUT Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 May 2021 at 8:21am
Hi I have a problem with my asrock z97 extreme 6 my pc won't boot with only 1 stick of ram in it has to be 2 sticks buttt... The 2nd stick doesn't register only runs 4gb it also won't work with a single stick of 8gb ram or register the 8gb stick if I put it in only the slot that's got the 4gb one in I've checked all the pins under magnify and all are fine can even post pictures I know exactly what pins they are on the board to check it has got my head mashed thanks for any replys
AINTPULNOUT View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AINTPULNOUT Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 May 2021 at 8:23am
I have also tried switching the i5 processor with an identical one from my child's computer and its exactly the same
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic