ASRock.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Technical Support > Intel Motherboards
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search Search  Events   Register Register  Login Login

Error 55

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote zezerrian Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Error 55
    Posted: 30 Mar 2021 at 10:52pm
Hi all,

I appreciate any input here. I have 4 sticks of G.Skill F4-3200C16D-32GTRZ installed on asrock taichi Z270. When I upgraded my ram I had no issues with booting or any normal activities including gaming. OC worked fine. I have recently begun to encounter this error 55 code when trying to boot. I can eventually post by attempting the boot 2-5 times. All sticks pass memtest86. My best guess for the cause is I am using G.Skill F4-3200C16D-32GTRZ which does not appear to be on the approved listing for memory. I feel that the sticks may not be the issue however as I can post most times without an issue. Thanks in advance.

-Zez
zezerrian View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote zezerrian Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Mar 2021 at 10:54pm
OC is no longer working at this time. Task manager reports 2133 MHz
zezerrian View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote zezerrian Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Apr 2021 at 1:18am
I have gotten it working again where I do not get the error 55. I reinstalled the latest BIOS version and cleared the CMOS. This allows me to use the four sticks without an issue at 2133MHz. XMP does not work, it just brings the issue back up. I have a feeling that it is a combination of trying to run 64GB of ram at a speed that requires OC and really pushing the board to the limits. The XMP puts the voltage at 1.35V and if it isn't stable there then so be it. I have ram for future upgrades and am perfectly fine running at 2133. There are almost no scenarios where I will be bottle-necked by this. I will have to keep the MQL in mind next time I make any changes to my system.
Xaltar View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Xaltar Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Apr 2021 at 1:59am
It wouldn't be the board holding you back, the CPU contains the IMC and most likely
it isn't quite able to manage 4 (16gb) sticks at 3200 with 1.35v. I would try enabling
XMP then manually lowering the voltage to 1.2v and dropping the speed down to say
2666. 1.2v is the DDR4 standard voltage, this alone should help ease the strain on
your CPU. If you can get the system working with 2666 @ 1.2v try bumping up a notch
(speed not voltage) until you find where it gives out again then dial it back one
notch. That said, if you are happy with 2133 then just leave it be, it isn't
going to provide a noticeable performance uplift anyway unless you are performing
heavily latency dependent tasks like audio recording etc.

Edited by Xaltar - 01 Apr 2021 at 2:01am
zezerrian View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote zezerrian Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Apr 2021 at 9:08am
I appreciate the reply, I did just see that the i5 7600k does only support 2133 or 2400. 2400 works fine and trying to go up to the 3200 is why it was crashing. I think ill try for 2666 to see but if its at 2400 then im not losing out on my "upgrade" just staying the same speed and getting more. also i get flashy lights now xD
Xaltar View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Xaltar Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Apr 2021 at 4:14pm
The issue isn't that the 7600k can't handle 3200. My 7600k handles 2x8gb sticks
at 3600 without issues. Your issue stems from trying to fully populate the RAM slots
with high capacity modules. I suspect your modules are all double sided, in essence
2 RAM modules slapped together. While it isn't quite as demanding as 2 separate
modules it is much more demanding than a single sided module. Basically, your
IMC is trying to handle a similar load to what it would be if you had 8 slots
populated with 8gb modules. This is why your frequency is limited. A lot of
Skylake and Kaby lake systems don't handle 16gb sticks very well when you use
more than two. You are lucky they work at all. Anything over 2133 you can manage
is a bonus. As I said, keep to 1.2v to ease the stress on your IMC, so long as
you do that you can push the RAM as high as it will allow without shortening
the lifespan of your system.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic