ASRock.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Technical Support > AMD Motherboards
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search Search  Events   Register Register  Login Login

X570 Taichi m.2 nvme not bootable

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ezakimak Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: X570 Taichi m.2 nvme not bootable
    Posted: 08 Apr 2021 at 10:28am
X570 Taichi motherboard
Bios: tried both latest 4.10 and beta L4.15

Sabrent Rocket Plus 1TB nvme
GPT formatted

It is listed in the bios under "storage devices".
Booting from install media (livecd usb), linux can see and use the device just fine.
However, in the bios under the boot menu it is never listed as a boot option. Tried with CSM disable/enable, no difference.

Played with numerous other settings all to no avail. The bios refuses to include the device among the bootable options.

What's missing£
ezakimak View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ezakimak Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Apr 2021 at 10:58pm
If I go to:
Advanced\AMD PBS and set NVMe RAID mode to Enabled:

now the NVME drive no longer is even listed in the Storage Devices list.
However, now:

Advanced/RAIDXpert2 Configuration Utility\Array Management

shows the "array"
RAID Level is "Non-RAID"
Array status is "Normal"
Hidden is "No"

and if I then dive further into
View Associated Physical Disks I see:

Physical Disk 0:1:0, NVMe 4KN Gen4 x4, 1.0TB, Legacy: Disabled

I have set that to Enabled and rebooted, and it stays "Disabled".

The second array shows the same, and if I dive into its
View Associated Physical Disks I see:

Physical Disk 1:1:0, NVMe 4KN Gen4 x4, 1.0TB, New: Disabled

I have also set that to Enabled and rebooted, and it stays "Disabled".

It seems it doesn't want to "Enable" these devices.

I don't know why it doesn't work in non-raid mode, nor why it also doesn't work through the raid mode either.

I have one device set for MBR+legacy/CSM boot, the other set for GPT+UEFI boot. Neither shows up in the boot menu. They both show up in the storage devices list when the NVMe RAID is disabled. Once NVMe RAID is enabled they cease to show in the storage devices list also, and for some reason cannot even be "Enabled" via the raid menus as JBOD.

What is the missing configuration setting here£

I tested the above after a complete CMOS reset--so before you say to go try that, I already just did.

ezakimak View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ezakimak Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Apr 2021 at 12:09am
Does ASRock X570 bios support 4k native devices£
ezakimak View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ezakimak Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Apr 2021 at 5:34am
Turns out the bios does *not* support 4k native mode on the NVME.
Setting the nvme device back to 512 sector mode and now an entry for the NVME appears again in the bios boot option.

However, it still doesn't work.
The entry only appears if CSM is *enabled*, *and* setting the rom option to UEFI only.

The NVME entry in the boot menu doens't work.
All of the entries I've added via efibootmgr perist, but get rewritten by the bios to some HwVen(<some uuid>) format, and still never show as an entry in the boot menu list.

Something about EFI in the bios is *broken*.
ezakimak View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ezakimak Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Apr 2021 at 5:47am
converting from GPT to MBR partition on the nvme device produced a successful boot.

Your bios developers need to *FIX YOUR BIOS*.
GPT+UEFI w/o CSM/legacy *SHOULD WORK*, it's the year 2021 already.
ezakimak View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ezakimak Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Apr 2021 at 10:02am
Even worse:

Just discovered that some boot entries show up in the F11 boot menu but *DO NOT* show up in the bios setup boot options menu... I now have no idea if some of the many things I tried over the past *two days* actually worked when I thought they hadn't simply because entries didn't show up in the set up boot menu. I'm really, REALLY pissed off at ASRock right now. This should not be so difficult.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic