ASRock.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Technical Support > AMD Motherboards
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search Search  Events   Register Register  Login Login

Does B550M pro4 support any M.2 NVME SSD£

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mike85 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Does B550M pro4 support any M.2 NVME SSD£
    Posted: 09 Apr 2021 at 6:44am
Hello, so I have an Asrock B550m pro4 motherboard.

I am planning on buying an m.2 NVME SSD (PCI-E) and to boot windows from it.

Can I put any ssd inside even if it is not on SSD QVL list £

Shouldn't any standard m.2 ssd work, is this QVL list hardcoded into the BIOS £

Why does Asrock only test some models of m.2 disks and not all currently available £

If not every m.2 works, then it could be called market manipulation £

Im interested in Crucial P5 m.2 nmve ssd (pcie).

Thank you for your answers.
ket View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ket Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Apr 2021 at 10:00pm
The QVL list is just a suggested guideline, in other words it lists the M.2 SSD drives that have been tested and guaranteed to work however any M.2 SSD you buy should work absolutely fine.
ThreeDee View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ThreeDee Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 May 2021 at 8:55pm
I've never looked at QVL lists when purchasing memory or M.2 drives and only had one issue with a Chinese x79t LGA 2011 motherboard not seeing an M.2 SATA drive ..
|Ryzen 5 5900|ASRock X570 Taichi-BIOS 4.60|2x16GB HyperX Predator RGB 3200@3600 1:1 IF|ASRock RX 6700XT|2 x PCIe 4.0 M.2 Drives for OS & Games|850 WTT Seasonic 80+ Titanium PSU|Noctua NH-D15|
skycowninja View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote skycowninja Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 May 2021 at 5:00am
Any m.2 nvme drive should work just fine. I am running 2 in my b550 pro4. Just remember that the top m.2 can run up to gen4?4, while the bottom m.2 can only run at gen3x2 speed. If the drive you are getting is gen3x2, which is the most common, use the top m.2 slot.

Because NVMe is a standardized communication protocol, as long as the device (m.2 drive) follows the standard then it will work with the motherboard. Even newer gen4 NVMe drives know how to talk on gen3 ports. It is nearly impossible for asrock to test every single combination on m.2 drive and very little would be gained from doing so.

Just for the sake of over explanation and being a nerd, NVMe is the communication protocol (like english is one type of language) and PCIe is the physical interface that carries the data from one part of the system to another.

I hope this helps clarify some things!
ket View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ket Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 May 2021 at 8:10pm
Well thats definitely over explaining for Mike as we have said theres no reason any M.2 SSD you pick up won't work. I've even tested a fair share of totally unknown M.2 drives here in the west by a manufacturer calling themselves Asgard... which is a pretty epic name let's be honest and the drives have worked in every single board I tested them in. If you're curious about the drives here is a review I wrote on them some time ago; https://www.win-raid.com/t5477f51-Asgard-GB-amp-GB-NVMe-M-Review.html
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic