ASRock.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Technical Support > AMD Motherboards
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search Search  Events   Register Register  Login Login

B450 Pro4 not recognizing Ram on B2

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Plagwitz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: B450 Pro4 not recognizing Ram on B2
    Posted: 01 May 2021 at 8:16pm
Dear Folks,

i am kind of a bot considering computer stuff. Last year I built a pc with an AsRock B450 Pro4 MB, AMD Ryzen 2600X, RTX 2070 and just wanted to install my new GSkill RipJaws V (2x8 - 3200) on A2/B2 so it would work as DR. But it always only recognizes the ram on A2. I now switched to A2/B1 with lower frequency (2700 i think), but I would like to run 3200 on both.

Does anyone have an idea what might be the problem or what I have to do to be able to run my aspired settings?

Do you need more intel before being able to give an advice?

+ I was wondering if this is somehow connected to my BIOS being Version 3.6? - which is not recommended for pinnacle cpus, which I think the 2600x is based on.

Any help is appreciated.
ket View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ket Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 May 2021 at 9:03pm
This sounds like you have either a dead DIMM bank or dead memory stick :( To verify this test each memory stick individually in all DIMM banks, if both sticks work in all but the problem DIMM bank that is as conclusive as it gets that one DIMM bank has died.
Xaltar View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Xaltar Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 May 2021 at 2:16pm
It's unlikely to be a dead channel, either both B slots would be dead or both A
slots if that were the case. More likely RAM incompatibility with that BIOS version
or improperly seated RAM. There is typically no problem using the "not recommended"
BIOS versions. The warning is there to discourage less experienced users from
pointlessly updating their BIOS. Many people seem to think a BIOS update is a
performance enhancement.

You want to install your RAM in slot's A2 and B2. Make sure the RAM is properly
inserted into the slot. If it is the first time you are populating that slot
it could simply be very tight and not going in all the way. If all else fails
try a single stick in each slot in turn. It may be having an issue enabling Dual
channel, in which case try updating your BIOS to 3.90 and see if that helps.

Edited by Xaltar - 04 May 2021 at 2:17pm
ket View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ket Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 May 2021 at 4:58pm
I wouldn't be so sure on that I've had plenty of instances in the past where a single DIMM bank has randomly died or just flat out not been working out of the box it's not the most common of things to happen but its happen several times to me in about 27 years now. If it was incompatibility between mainboard and RAM then generally the system just won't boot at all so while not impossible to be a compatibility issue, is fairly unlikely.
Xaltar View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Xaltar Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 May 2021 at 9:39pm
Bank/channel is not the same thing as a dead slot Dead slots can happen though
with modern boards it's pretty rare unless there is physical damage to the traces
or slot itself.

Some CPUs have weaker IMCs than others, BIOS updates sometimes help address this.
It could be as simple as a 0.01v bump in voltage or as complex as completely
rewritten timing and sub timing values along with other tweaks.

I suspect the RAM wasn't fully seated, this is by far the most common cause of
issues like this, particularly with RAM slots being so tight these days. It could
also be a faulty/partially dead RAM stick as you (ket) mentioned.
ket View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ket Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 May 2021 at 9:49pm
Very true Xaltar, I just have faith that even newbies have checked to make sure the RAM is seated properly Sometimes though that even gets the seasoned pros you could swear you heard a nice "click" as the module was seated only to find it still needed a little wiggle and push. Now as SOP I always wiggle and push after inserting just to be sure lol.
Xaltar View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Xaltar Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 May 2021 at 2:13am
For sure, sometimes it feels like it went in but in reality one side isn't making
proper contact, especially with these one sided latch slots.
ket View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ket Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 May 2021 at 10:16pm
Yeah those slots are a little weird but I don't mind them as I see the point in them if a case isn't very big it makes taking the modules out a bit easier I found.   
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic