ASRock.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Technical Support > AMD Motherboards
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search Search  Events   Register Register  Login Login

AS Extreme 970 3 3 Long Repeating Beeps

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote alyzar Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: AS Extreme 970 3 3 Long Repeating Beeps
    Posted: 31 Jan 2016 at 3:48am
Good Afternoon,

I have been using the 970 board for many many years with no problems.  Went to boot the system the other day and 3 long repeating  beeps.  Here is what I have done:

Removed and reseated  all peripherals.  no change 3 long repeating beeps
swapped out PS with older one - no change 3 long repeating beeps
swapped out memory with same brand and type  - no change 3 long repeating beeps
swapped out memory different banks - no change 3 long repeating beeps
swapped out video again no change 3 long repeating beeps
removed memory - no change 3 long repeating beeps
removed AMD Phenom II X4 965 - no beeps
Purchased new mobo that supports both AMD Phenom II X4 965 and current memory -no change 3 long repeating beeps

I know from the plethora of google search postings that 3 beeps has to do with memory but 3 long repeating beeps give several different responses??  My question is since I have already sent back the new mobo my only solution is to purchase a new CPU,  is there anything else i could be looking at over the weekend, since CPU wont ship til Monday.  Thanks Brad
wardog View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wardog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Jan 2016 at 10:48am
In my experiences, if you took the memory out and it did the same three, more than likely it's one memory stick that's dies.

Using the slot furthest from the CPU, individually test each stick in this one slot that it will or will not boot.

Post back what you discover.
alyzar View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote alyzar Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Jan 2016 at 11:07am
Wardog

Thanks for the reply. I have tested the banks with "working memory" and receive the same beeps. Also the bank you asked about

Edited by alyzar - 31 Jan 2016 at 11:09am
wardog View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wardog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Jan 2016 at 11:27am
""working memory"" that you know works on this/your Extreme9? And tested using just one stick in the furthest slot?

Well, since we have the weekend, or what's left of her anyways ......... Try clearing the CMOS by using THIS method and retry with one stick in the furthest slot. Post back please. Or, after thrying one stick in the furthest, begin moving it one slot closer and retry, then another slot closer, and so on. Then re-CLRCMOS again and use that other stick, playing slot roulette as mentioned prior.

Post back please. Otherwise ..........

Hmm, well, I hope you paid for Priority mail then. Tongue

The CPU or board is where I'd be turning next then.
alyzar View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote alyzar Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Jan 2016 at 11:49am
I will let it clear over night lol. Yes the memory that is "working" is from another 970 board. Also I did bench the board.
wardog View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wardog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Jan 2016 at 1:14pm
What specific kit of this second kit, the manufactures part number?

And too, it is a matched kit, and not just two random sticks?

I'll check that they're compatible first. No sense in us playing with them if they aren't.

Edited by wardog - 31 Jan 2016 at 1:15pm
wardog View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote wardog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Jan 2016 at 1:20pm
Originally posted by wardog wardog wrote:

Hmm, well, I hope you paid for Priority mail then. Tongue

The CPU or board is where I'd be turning next then.

And seeings you've tried a new board. The memory, CPU, and maybe the PSU are the only parts remaining and carried over from old to the new board with the same results left to point to, consider, and diagnose.

Edited by wardog - 31 Jan 2016 at 1:21pm
alyzar View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote alyzar Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Jan 2016 at 10:23pm
Tried the clear CMOS and memory swap,all sticks are the same and work in other 970 board--- same issues.
Have an older PSU that works and swapped it also. Same issue.
alyzar View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote alyzar Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Feb 2016 at 3:13am
Replaced the CPU and everything up and runnning
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic