ASRock.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Technical Support > Intel Motherboards
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search Search  Events   Register Register  Login Login

z77 Pro3 RAM configuration

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote djducky Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: z77 Pro3 RAM configuration
    Posted: 31 Jan 2016 at 5:08am
Hello there!

I've been running 2x4GB of RAM (Corsair Vengeance LP 1600 1,5V) in DDR3_A1 and DDR3_B1.

Then i ordered 2x8GB (Corsair Vengeance LP 1600 1,5V) and put it in A2 and B2.

The PC didn't boot. I switched the modules, didn't help.

I can only bring them to work with a maximum of 3 modules (of course without dual-channel) when i dont place anything in A2. A1+A2+B1 won't work, it HAS to be A1+B1+B2.

A2+B2 however works fine. All of the memory modules are intact because every one of them does run in one of the working configurations.

Questions: Is it possible to run all 4 modules (UEFI update for example)? If not, am i better up with 2x8 in dual-channel or 8+8+4 in non dual channel?

I know that the manual says the modules need to be identical, but i wanted to give it a shot.

Thank you very much!

Edited by djducky - 31 Jan 2016 at 5:09am
wardog View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wardog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Jan 2016 at 5:26am
Mixing modules,, ie unmatched, usually doesn't work as you've now discovered.

Stay with the matched kit of 2x8 IMO.

wardog View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wardog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Jan 2016 at 5:29am
And FYI, per your Manual, pg20:

6. For optimal compatibility and stability while overclocking memory frequency, it is recommended to install one memory module in DDR3_B2 slot or two memory modules in DDR3_A2 and DDR3_B2 slots.
djducky View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote djducky Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Jan 2016 at 5:45am
Thanks for the answers. Since i don't overclock the memory it's fine but i will keep that in mind or just use a2 and B2 when i'm switching them again. So you think it is better to run 8+8 in dual chan rather than 8+8+4 in non-dual-chan?

Thank you again!

wardog View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wardog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Jan 2016 at 10:54am
No. DO use A2 and B2.

re: 8+8+4

If you prefer your memory and computer running in Single Channel, sure. Go for it I guess. I prefer to run mine in Dual Channel using either two or four sticks. Wink
djducky View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote djducky Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Jan 2016 at 11:10am
Thanks again for the answer. Well, of course i do not prefer single channel but the question here is: 16GB in DC or 20GB in SC? What i do the most is gaming and some video editing, with both i don't even really have a problem with 8GB. I upgraded mostly for Planetside 2 and some future titles.

CPU is 3470@3,6 Ghz btw.

My speculation is that i wouldn't notice any difference either way, but hey... the experts are here. :)
wardog View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wardog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Jan 2016 at 11:35am
It's all about the bandwidth Dual Channel provides. Hands down, Dual Channel for the win.
wardog View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wardog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Jan 2016 at 11:37am
Unless the games you play are more GPU-centric. But even so I'd still bench test the games first beforehand.
wardog View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wardog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Jan 2016 at 11:39am
Originally posted by wardog wardog wrote:

Unless the games you play are more GPU-centric. But even so I'd still bench test the games first beforehand.

I still think you'll find Dual Channel provides better performance. Just how much, meh, but better nonetheless.
wardog View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wardog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Jan 2016 at 11:41am
Video editing, no choice. Dual Channel for the bandwidth. No choice, no question. Period.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic