ASRock.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Technical Support > AMD Motherboards
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search Search  Events   Register Register  Login Login

Polychrome killed my SSD Partition

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Message Reverse Sort Order
ket View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ket Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Polychrome killed my SSD Partition
    Posted: 20 May 2021 at 9:34pm
Originally posted by aegidaeon aegidaeon wrote:

Okay, thank you kindly for your reply.
I'm afraid tho this did not take any of my given information into account:
- it happened to different drives from several brands both ssd and hdd using various cables
- it did NOT happen to my M.2 drive
- what i did is exactly those three steps i layed out:
- installed poly
- ran poly (which scans all your peripherals)
- setup options within poly
- rebooted
- hard drives' partition table gone
- all on the latest and previous bios versions

i used MiniTool Partition Wizard which rebuild the table in a second.

the other components are:
- CPU: Ryzen 3900x
- RAM: 4 x 8 GB of G.SKILL Trident Z Neo 3600 @ 2933
if any of those components are raising a red flag i'd be thankful to know!
Since i've been able to reproduce this behaviour with several different drives and even Bios/Polychrome/Windows versions i cannot draw a connection there.
since i can be sure it is a defective partition table and i can reproduce this behaviour over and over i wonder how i could be the only one this happens to.
This happened to me a year ago when i switched hard drives and i just copied the data back several times until i realized the source had to be polychrome. after uninstallation it never happened again. i still wasn't 100% sure tho.
I did ran several tests including RAM and chkdsk as well as SFC and others, too.
Now i switched the case and it comes with RGB which switches R and G so i had to reinstall poly to swap them.
Yet again my partition table was gone after a reboot.

Very weird issue for sure, nothing particularly stands out as a conclusive cause but Partition Wizard does raise a yellow flag something about the images it creates could be causing your problem especially if it is a very old image thats being copied to a significantly different system to the one the image was created on. I'd also query PW support with this issue as it does appear like that is where the problem could be originating from. If you can I'd also suggest completely wiping your drives MBR/GPT and on the HDDs performing a full unconditional format.

Side note: Any particular reason you're running that Trident Z at only 2933MHz?
ASRock_TSD View Drop Down
ASRock_Official
ASRock_Official

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ASRock_TSD Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 May 2021 at 12:00pm
Dear aegidaeon,
Thank you for the posting.

We took the X570 Taichi, BIOS P4.30, Polychrome 2.0.100, Samuang 970EVO Plus(OS) and one SATA SSD to verify, but didn't reproduce the issue.

For this case, we'd like to provide some suggestions for you to verify.
1. Update the BIOS to latest version to try.
2. Keep BIOS setting default and only install CPU, PSU, Cooler, RAM, Graphic card, System disk to test.
3. Install the latest version Polychrome utility to try.
4. If possible, please reinstall a clean Win 10 OS to verify.

Thank you,

Best wishes,
ASRock TSD
aegidaeon View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote aegidaeon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 May 2021 at 4:58am
Okay, thank you kindly for your reply.
I'm afraid tho this did not take any of my given information into account:
- it happened to different drives from several brands both ssd and hdd using various cables
- it did NOT happen to my M.2 drive
- what i did is exactly those three steps i layed out:
- installed poly
- ran poly (which scans all your peripherals)
- setup options within poly
- rebooted
- hard drives' partition table gone
- all on the latest and previous bios versions

i used MiniTool Partition Wizard which rebuild the table in a second.

the other components are:
- CPU: Ryzen 3900x
- RAM: 4 x 8 GB of G.SKILL Trident Z Neo 3600 @ 2933
if any of those components are raising a red flag i'd be thankful to know!
Since i've been able to reproduce this behaviour with several different drives and even Bios/Polychrome/Windows versions i cannot draw a connection there.
since i can be sure it is a defective partition table and i can reproduce this behaviour over and over i wonder how i could be the only one this happens to.
This happened to me a year ago when i switched hard drives and i just copied the data back several times until i realized the source had to be polychrome. after uninstallation it never happened again. i still wasn't 100% sure tho.
I did ran several tests including RAM and chkdsk as well as SFC and others, too.
Now i switched the case and it comes with RGB which switches R and G so i had to reinstall poly to swap them.
Yet again my partition table was gone after a reboot.
ket View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ket Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 May 2021 at 4:46am
Some detailed steps about what you were doing and full specs of your system might provide some insight. You haven't given anywhere near enough information to even guess what might be going on here. I've heard about Gigabyte RGB software flat out wiping ROM chips (this also happen to me for a review I was writing) but RGB software wiping M.2 drives is a new one. From what you do say it sounds more like you had/have file system corruption on your SSD. Have you run chkdsk and SFC (System File Checker)?
aegidaeon View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote aegidaeon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 May 2021 at 4:22am
MB: X570 Taichi
Polychrome v. 2.0.38

several times proven - with different drives.
Installed Polychrome.
Ran Poly.
Setup Poly.
Rebooted.
Hard Drive (ALL except for OS on M.2) were in need of initialization.

Never have i been so dumb-struck.
Only games/music partition, all important data on m.2 and backed up - just takes a ton of time to re-download 2 TB of files - also i just finished ripping all my audio cds.
what could possibly do that? changed cables several times as well.
not gonna get another asrock mb at this point. this CAN'T happen.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic