ASRock.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Technical Support > AMD Motherboards
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search Search  Events   Register Register  Login Login

Ryzen 5600g question

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bigheaded Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Ryzen 5600g question
    Posted: 03 Jun 2021 at 10:00am
AMD announced the 5600/5700G CPU's will be out in August. I'm looking to build a new PC around then.   Will ASRock MB's need a BIOS update to work? I'm looking at the B550 Phantom Gamer ITX. I see Ryzen 5000's are supported but can't find anything about the G's. I know they're not out yet but I'm trying to figure out if I need to look elsewhere for a MB because I don't currently have a Ryzen CPU I could use to flash the BOIS if it'll need an update.
ThreeDee View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ThreeDee Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Jun 2021 at 4:48pm
Right around the launch of the new chips, ASRock will push out a BIOS update I'm sure.
|Ryzen 5 5900|ASRock X570 Taichi-BIOS 4.60|2x16GB HyperX Predator RGB 3200@3600 1:1 IF|ASRock RX 6700XT|2 x PCIe 4.0 M.2 Drives for OS & Games|850 WTT Seasonic 80+ Titanium PSU|Noctua NH-D15|
bigheaded View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bigheaded Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Jun 2021 at 5:04am
Originally posted by ThreeDee ThreeDee wrote:

Right around the launch of the new chips, ASRock will push out a BIOS update I'm sure.

looks like I'll have to do the loaner thing from AMD since I don't have a Ryzen cpu :(   I suppose there's a chance it won't need a BIOS update as the current BIOS's support the 5000 cpu, but I somehow doubt it.
ket View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ket Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Jun 2021 at 8:10pm
Best solution here is to get a board with a flashback feature that doesn't require any essential system components to be installed in order to update the firmware without any hassle.
killer8 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote killer8 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Jun 2021 at 3:06pm
Originally posted by ket ket wrote:

Best solution here is to get a board with a flashback feature that doesn't require any essential system components to be installed in order to update the firmware without any hassle.

Can you explain more on how the flashback feature works and which boards have it?
ket View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ket Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Jun 2021 at 6:05pm
The Asrock boards I know of with the flashback feature are the B550 Taichi, X570 Creator, X570 Phantom Gaming X, and X570 Taichi. Asrock really need to work on improving those numbers a flashback feature saves on RMA resources, considerable inconvenience on the user end, and these days a flashback feature is expected at pretty much any price point not just on a meagre 4 boards.

Flashback functionality varies a bit from one manufacturer to the next but it generally works by you downloading the latest firmware for the board to a USB stick, placing that USB stick in the specified USB port, then switching the system on and waiting for the flash process to complete (system will automatically restart when done), and thats about it.

Edited by ket - 17 Jun 2021 at 6:09pm
Xaltar View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Xaltar Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Jun 2021 at 8:32pm
Originally posted by ket ket wrote:

The Asrock boards I know of with the flashback feature are the B550 Taichi, X570 Creator, X570 Phantom Gaming X, and X570 Taichi. Asrock really need to work on improving those numbers a flashback feature saves on RMA resources, considerable inconvenience on the user end, and these days a flashback feature is expected at pretty much any price point not just on a meagre 4 boards.

Flashback functionality varies a bit from one manufacturer to the next but it generally works by you downloading the latest firmware for the board to a USB stick, placing that USB stick in the specified USB port, then switching the system on and waiting for the flash process to complete (system will automatically restart when done), and thats about it.

I agree, particularly with Ryzen a flashback feature should be the norm by now.
Much as I love that AMD are sticking with the AM4 socket for so many generations,
it does cause headaches to the end user when picking new parts. Flashback solves
that issue 100%. No more need to have boards reflashed by end users, retailers and
even at ASRock's warehouses.
datonyb View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote datonyb Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Jun 2021 at 8:41pm
whilst i totally agree with a flashback feature being a wise move
asrock do seem to be 'better' than early days at getting latest (next gen) bios to existing product lines after they have entered the supply chain
last week a b450m pro4 board turned up with latest 5xxx bios flashed
somewhere down the supply chain
as it has a sticker on retail box and the factory sticker on the bios chip itself removed (not really ideal as you cant tell what bios unless its now booted , but hey at least someone flashed it ) shame they didnt just write new bios with a sharpie on the old sticker
[url=https://valid.x86.fr/jpg250][/url]

3800X, powercolor reddevil vega64, gskill tridentz3866, taichix370, evga750watt gold
zzu View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote zzu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Jun 2021 at 9:36pm
If they would socket the firmware flashmemory, there would be less need for "FlashBack" CPU-less flashing feature.

One could flash the memory on a secondary PC and plug it back in.
ket View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ket Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Jun 2021 at 10:56pm
Quote I agree, particularly with Ryzen a flashback feature should be the norm by now.
Much as I love that AMD are sticking with the AM4 socket for so many generations,
it does cause headaches to the end user when picking new parts. Flashback solves
that issue 100%. No more need to have boards reflashed by end users, retailers and
even at ASRock's warehouses.

Exactly this.

Quote whilst i totally agree with a flashback feature being a wise move
asrock do seem to be 'better' than early days at getting latest (next gen) bios to existing product lines after they have entered the supply chain
last week a b450m pro4 board turned up with latest 5xxx bios flashed
somewhere down the supply chain
as it has a sticker on retail box and the factory sticker on the bios chip itself removed (not really ideal as you cant tell what bios unless its now booted , but hey at least someone flashed it ) shame they didnt just write new bios with a sharpie on the old sticker

Its not just about this aspect, there are things that happen beyond anyones control such as power cuts even scenarios like this are fully safegaurded against with a flashback feature.

If they would socket the firmware flashmemory, there would be less need for "FlashBack" CPU-less flashing feature.

One could flash the memory on a secondary PC and plug it back in.

ROM chips not all that long ago were socketed, then every manufacturer shifted to the soldered ROM. Cheaper on a production level I suppose but if ROM chips were still socketed it would have completely negated the limited ROM space problem on X370/470 and B350/450 boards as manufacturers simply could have sold a higher capacity ROM chip to users.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic