ASRock.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Technical Support > AMD Motherboards
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search Search  Events   Register Register  Login Login

Ryzen 5600g question

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
Author
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Xaltar Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Jun 2021 at 11:10pm
If memory serves, the BIOS ROM chips used in the socketed setup were discontinued
and there were no longer any reliable suppliers. When I looked into it you could
still purchase them but only in small consignments (less than 1000). The older
ROMs were also supposedly slower by comparison to the newer ones. Now that was the
standard capacity of the time, larger capacity variants are still readily available
as far as I know.

Even with the flashback issue, I still stand by ASRock. They have their ups and
downs but the guys behind the designs and manufacturing really do try hard to
meet the demands of their consumers. Time and again I see people complain about
something here on the forums (and likely support tickets too) only to see the
problem addressed/improved on the next board iteration. The fact that I can send
a support ticket on a 12 year old ASRock board and still get a helpful reply is
the other main reason I use their products. Another brand replied and told me
I should upgrade my system (I test support channels like this regularly). That
is not something someone still stuck with a 10 year old board needs or wants to
be told.

Here's hoping ASRock pay attention the the flashback issue and address that in
upcoming board models too.

Edited by Xaltar - 17 Jun 2021 at 11:11pm
killer8 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote killer8 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Jun 2021 at 5:36am
Originally posted by datonyb datonyb wrote:

last week a b450m pro4 board turned up with latest 5xxx bios flashed
somewhere down the supply chain
as it has a sticker on retail box and the factory sticker on the bios chip itself removed (not really ideal as you cant tell what bios unless its now booted , but hey at least someone flashed it ) shame they didnt just write new bios with a sharpie on the old sticker

Do you have more details on the motherboard flashed with latest BIOS? Was this at a retail store? I am in a bit of a tight spot as want to buy a 5700G APU in August but don't have a spare cpu around, as I'm all Intel right now. I am trying to do what I can to ensure I'm getting a board that's flashed upfront and I don't want to buy a super expensive one, just a B550M Pro4 or Steel Legend.
datonyb View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote datonyb Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Jun 2021 at 9:05pm
b550 will be ryzen 5xxx ready
[url=https://valid.x86.fr/jpg250][/url]

3800X, powercolor reddevil vega64, gskill tridentz3866, taichix370, evga750watt gold
killer8 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote killer8 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Jun 2021 at 4:55am
Originally posted by datonyb datonyb wrote:

b550 will be ryzen 5xxx ready

But is it 5700-G 5600-G ready now, on current retail shipping boards?
ket View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ket Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Jun 2021 at 9:15pm
Originally posted by Xaltar Xaltar wrote:

If memory serves, the BIOS ROM chips used in the socketed setup were discontinued
and there were no longer any reliable suppliers. When I looked into it you could
still purchase them but only in small consignments (less than 1000). The older
ROMs were also supposedly slower by comparison to the newer ones. Now that was the
standard capacity of the time, larger capacity variants are still readily available
as far as I know.

Even with the flashback issue, I still stand by ASRock. They have their ups and
downs but the guys behind the designs and manufacturing really do try hard to
meet the demands of their consumers. Time and again I see people complain about
something here on the forums (and likely support tickets too) only to see the
problem addressed/improved on the next board iteration. The fact that I can send
a support ticket on a 12 year old ASRock board and still get a helpful reply is
the other main reason I use their products. Another brand replied and told me
I should upgrade my system (I test support channels like this regularly). That
is not something someone still stuck with a 10 year old board needs or wants to
be told.

Here's hoping ASRock pay attention the the flashback issue and address that in
upcoming board models too.

Indeed DIP type ROMs don't seem to be produced now but that doesn't mean the SOIC ROMs need to be soldered ;) The first idea that pops to my mind as an engineer is to design a simple housed socket with door latch and contact pads that are directly soldered to the pads on the PCB, the other end of those contact pads are then the contact points for the feet of the SOIC ROM, the SOIC ROM itself is then secured in place using said door. Simples :D

I know the R&D guys try hard the guys in the BIOS department and the hardware engineers have always got back to me super fast weather I've asked them something directly or through you (if you are who I think you are that is lol) and the main reason why Asrock earned my support back in the P67 days and is why I helped them out with Z68 and Z77, their willingness to listen and improve is why Asrock are pretty high on my list I think the last time I contacted them was for an X470 Fatal1ty review I wrote, the board was quite nice but at the time of review at least no CPU LLC options in the firmware and a disappointing voltage regulator compared to what the X370 Fatal1ty used hurt the X470 Fatal1ty a fair bit. Heres hoping all Asrocks X570s boards have firmware flashback that feature is a win for everybody on both sides.

Originally posted by killer8 killer8 wrote:

But is it 5700-G 5600-G ready now, on current retail shipping boards?

The B550M Pro4 won't support any of the new APUs without first being updated to firmware P1.80 so you'd need to check with where you buy first that the stock they have is updated to at least this version.
Xaltar View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Xaltar Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Jun 2021 at 11:39pm
Originally posted by ket ket wrote:

The B550M Pro4 won't support any of the new APUs without first being updated to firmware P1.80 so you'd need to check with where you buy first that the stock they have is updated to at least this version.

I know ASRock update all the inventory they send out to retailers, this is done
by hand by a very small team so kudos to them for doing that for us. The problem
is boards that were sent out before the requisite update came out. Most retailers
don't bother updating boards in their inventory. Interestingly, this is why motherboard
packaging is never sealed from the factory, to allow updates at any step allong
the way to the consumer. There used to be a seal on the anti static bag but even
that is gone for the most part these days. I remember when I worked at a retail
outlet back when, we would be sent a roll of the anti tamper stickers used to
seal the anti static bags after testing and updating them.
ket View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ket Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Jul 2021 at 3:38am
I remember those days too, even way back when I unpacked my socket 7 abit AN7 I wondered why the anti-static bag was sealed never seemed to be a good reason for it to me lol. I do miss those old socket 7 systems though, the nforce2 chipset was something to be reckoned with and for its day the nforce audio was absolutely stellar as well. Still makes me sad nvidia stopped producing and investing in that I think PC audio would be quite a bit further along today if they kept on with it.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
  Share Topic