ASRock.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Technical Support > Intel Motherboards
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - Fresh build - won't boot with 2 sticks of memory
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search Search  Events   Register Register  Login Login

Fresh build - won't boot with 2 sticks of memory

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote davidkillion Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Fresh build - won't boot with 2 sticks of memory
    Posted: 09 Jun 2021 at 11:51pm
This isn't my first rodeo - but it's been awhile since I've built a PC. I think I know what I'm doing, but what's happening below is making me question everything.

MB: ASRock Z590 PG VELOCITA LGA 1200 Intel Z590 SATA 6Gb/s ATX Intel
Memory: G.SKILL Ripjaws V Series 32GB (2 x 16GB) 288-Pin DDR4 SDRAM DDR4 4000 (PC4 32000) Intel XMP 2.0 Desktop Memory Model F4-4000C18D-32GVK
CPU: Intel Core i7-11700K Rocket Lake 8-Core 3.6 GHz LGA 1200 125W BX8070811700K Desktop Processor Intel UHD Graphics 750

All purchased from NewEgg.

When I install the memory in A2 & B2 and turn it on, all fans spin up but no video. The diagnostic display rotates between 00, 7F, 30 & finally 4C(? - it's quick). It does this indefinitely.

Google searching resulted in a troubleshooting idea to only boot with 1 stick. I did this in B2 and the video works - BIOS anyway (blank diagnostic readout). I manually set the memory settings, but it didn't change any behavior. Single stick in A2, nothing (diagnostic: 7f & 30 - very quickly). Swapped memory sticks and same thing (so it's not the memory). I even bought some DDR4-3200 Corsair memory from Amazon for a quick test and get the same behavior. I'm 99% sure it's not a memory issue.

Note that I never get any beeps from the MB speaker, strangest thing.

ASRock support wants me to pull the MB out of the case and test, but I don't understand how that will help. I only have a known working M.2 installed, memory, CPU, Fan and case controls plugged in.

Any help would be greatly appreciated!
RLGL View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RLGL Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Jun 2021 at 4:56am
To start with the new boards do not have speakers. Does the monitor auto select the port and cable type? It may need to be switched manually.
Asrock Z370 Gaming K6,Intel i7 8700K,
Asrock x570 Taichi

davidkillion View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote davidkillion Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Jun 2021 at 5:10am
Thanks for responding. I did find it odd that the MB didn't come with a speaker - but I had one in my parts bin. Oddly, in one configuration I did get it to make a random beep.

I've decided to RMA the board. During disassembly, upon a very close examination, it looks like there might be a bent pin in the CPU slot.
robertd903 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote robertd903 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Jun 2021 at 5:41am
So, was there a definition to codes: 4C 7f 30 00?
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic