FAQ FAQ  Forum Search Search  Events   Register Register  Login Login

Z390M Pro4 - No Power

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Message Reverse Sort Order
Xaltar View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Xaltar Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Z390M Pro4 - No Power
    Posted: 13 Jun 2021 at 5:20pm
Brilliant, glad to hear it. Enjoy the build
ThePie View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ThePie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Jun 2021 at 11:04am
Originally posted by Xaltar Xaltar wrote:

Make sure your standoffs in your case match your board's mounting holes. It looks
like you may have a few more installed than are needed (these will short).

Thanks!

The bottom left standoff was the one that was shorting so removed it and another one that was not being used in the top right. Everything seems to be good now.
Xaltar View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Xaltar Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Jun 2021 at 7:45pm
Make sure your standoffs in your case match your board's mounting holes. It looks
like you may have a few more installed than are needed (these will short).
ThePie View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ThePie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Jun 2021 at 6:17am
Alright thanks for the tips. It ended up being a bad PSU to CPU power cable.

However, the board will not power on when installed in the case but will when the board is sitting outside of the case.

Any further tips for securing and protecting the board from any shorts when installed within the case?

Xaltar View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Xaltar Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Jun 2021 at 3:19am
Check the underside of the board for anything shorting. Bent component legs etc.
I have seen it a few times where legs get bent together and short due to improperly
placed standoffs, mishandling or even just rough handling during shipping.

If that all checks out then pull the CPU and all the front panel connectors and
then, with the CPU out, short the power on pins on the board with a screwdriver
or other conductive implement. If the PSU is the type to "click" when load is
applied it should click but the board should remain off (this is normal without
a CPU).
Make sure there are no bent pins in the socket and check the CPU closely for
damage. There are a number of SMD components in the central part of the CPU.
I have seen a few cases where one or more of these have fallen off.

Those are two of the potential scenarios that could lead to your symptoms. The
other is the PSU. Given that you have different symptoms with the board installed
in the case and outside of it I suspect it may not be the culprit. None the less,
if you have another PSU to test with I suggest you try it after doing the above.
ThePie View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ThePie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Jun 2021 at 12:57am
I moved the board outside the case and reattached the essentials. Upon flipping the switch to the power supply, nothing happened. But when pressing the power button I did hear a click, but that was all.

Power Supply:
Corsair SF Series, SF450

RLGL View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RLGL Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Jun 2021 at 4:50am
Start by taking the board out of the case and place it on a non conductive surface , connect the power lead, short the power pins with a small screwdriver.
What happens? what brand is the PS? Is it new?
Asrock Z370 Gaming K6,Intel i7 8700K,
Asrock x570 Taichi

ThePie View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ThePie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Jun 2021 at 4:29am
I have a new install that I am working on. (See below picture).

I have tested the power supply with a 24 pin jumper and the power supply with spin up and power a external molex fan. This tells me the power supply is working.

When I hook up the PSU to the MOBO I am not hearing the usual "click" sound that you would hear when the PSU has some electricity in it. Also pushing the power button is not having any effect. I attached a external power button even in case the PC power button was defunct, but still the MOBO will not power on.

Any suggestions?

Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic