ASRock.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Technical Support > Intel Motherboards
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search Search  Events   Register Register  Login Login

J5040-ITX with PCIe SATA Controller Problem

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Message Reverse Sort Order
dumy13 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dumy13 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: J5040-ITX with PCIe SATA Controller Problem
    Posted: 14 Sep 2022 at 7:34pm
Hi guys,

Quote from the official product page:
"*USB3_0_1 and USB_0_1 cannot be occupied simultaneously. Please connect a USB cable to one of these headers only."

Direct link: https://www.asrock.com/MB/Intel/J5040-ITX/index.asp#Specification
redgoblin View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote redgoblin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Dec 2021 at 12:36am
UPDATE:

After testing a bit more, I found out that controller and mainboard are actually working well, although the SATA ports of the controller still don't show up in BIOS. It turned out that the (new) HDD I was trying to connect was broken

Sorry I couldn't help with your actual problem.
redgoblin View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote redgoblin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Dec 2021 at 7:38pm
Hi blueshadow,

I have the exact same problem using ASM1061 PCI-SATA Controller on J5040 Board. The device is also listed in lspci, but the connected disk is not showing up in BIOS or OS. I'm using openmediavault resp. Debian.

Since the post is already a few month old, have you already been able to solve the problem? If so, it would be really nice if you could let me know what worked for you.

Otherwise, I will let you know when I can fix it
blueshadow View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote blueshadow Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Jun 2021 at 9:33pm
Hi everyone

I just bought a J5040-ITX motherboard to upgrade my existing NAS system. As on the old motherboard, I wanted to run Ubuntu from a SATA SSD and connect 4 SATA data HDDs in Software RAID 5. Since the motherboard has only four SATA ports, I added a additional PCI Express SATA Controller (Delock 90392, uses an Asmedia ASM1061R chip). I chose this controller since the board already incorporates a ASM1061 SATA controller.

I connected the SSD to the internal SATA3_1 port and the first two data HDDs to the internal SATA3_A1 and SATA3_A2 ports. The SSD and the two HDDs are recognized and show up in the BIOS and also in Ubuntu.

The other two HDDs are connected to the PCIe SATA controller. Now, the SATA controller does not seem to be recognized in the BIOS. The two HDDs do not show up in the BIOS. In Ubuntu, I also do not see the two HDDs and I do not get the /dev/sd*. However, the in the "lspci" output the controller is listed.

- Has anyone successfully used such a setup with an additional PCIe SATA controller?
- Should the PCIe SATA controller and the two HDDs show up in the BIOS?
- Any tip on what I am missing?

I would appreciate any help.

Thx, blue
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic