ASRock.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Technical Support > AMD Motherboards
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search Search  Events   Register Register  Login Login

X570 Creator with Ryzen 5950X Crazy Fans

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Khun_Doug Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: X570 Creator with Ryzen 5950X Crazy Fans
    Posted: 19 Jun 2021 at 4:07am
I previously had a Ryzen 3950X on this motherboard and was using BIOS 2.0 or one of the early rev BIOS versions. I was fortunate and acquired a new Ryzen 5950X at regular price because I was on a waiting list. In preparation I upgraded the BIOS to rev 3.5.

Something about the newer BIOS didn't play well with the memory on the 3950X that had been working properly for over a year. I have Corsair 3600 memory. When the system was under heavy memory load I was getting BSOD crashes. I had to manually set the memory speed rather than use the XMP profile. I have the speed up to 3000 MHz and the infinity fabric at 1500 MHz and that is stable. I will move the speed a bit higher after I am sure there are no faults.

The real reason I am posting is because of wild activity with the fans after I moved to the 5950X. With Precision Boost enabled I see clock speeds as high as 5 GHz (not overclocked) and voltages as high as 1.47 or better. I have a 240MM radiator and AIO. CPU temps were easily reaching into the 70C range and the PC was not under heavy load. Strager still, when placed under stress test with Prime95 the PC ran cooler!

For anyone else that is seeing this odd behavior, I made several BIOS profiles with different clock speeds and voltages. Using the Asrock A-tuning tool I found that a clock of 3850 and a voltage of 0.95625 runs faster than my 3950X and operates cool with no racing fans and high voltages. And for heavy work where I need the speed, I made a profile with a clock of 4200 MHz and 1.09375 volts. Both settings are rock stable with Prime95 stress test, no faults. The 4200 MHz stress test does run near 80C, but in real life work, I found it stays cooler.

I also have a BIOS profile that can re-enabled precision boost. I did a test using a x265 encode that runs about 90 minutes using the precision boost on versus both of my slower profiles. The time difference is not that significant. And being able to avoid the fans going crazy and seeing such high voltage spikes is worth the trade-off.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic