ASRock.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Technical Support > Intel Motherboards
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search Search  Events   Register Register  Login Login

Z87 Extreme4 motheboard does not boot

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sid Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Z87 Extreme4 motheboard does not boot
    Posted: 11 Jul 2021 at 6:29pm
Dear all, I am in need of urgent help as the desktop contains all my precious file and hardware set up for my hobby. Here is the story in brief. The computer went into sleep and then wouldn't wake up. Tried everything but no luck, didn't use the RESET button (my stupidity). So, I opened the cabinet, removed the CMOS battery, cleared the CMOS by switching the jumper and lettting it remain unpowered for 4 hours. After that, the motherboard seems comepletely dead, no response whatsoever except the fan comes up but no POST, no BIOS LED and nothing.

I reseated the RAM, BIOS chips, switched the BIOS by jumper from A to B, nothing doing, it is still completely unresponsive.

Anyone with expert knowledge, please help, it has taken away my full weekend and would want this machine UP ASAP please.

Thanks you for your support.urgent help
Xaltar View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Xaltar Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Jul 2021 at 10:09pm
The first step after clearing CMOS and disconnecting from power for at least an
hour is to try another PSU. 9/10 times when a system suddenly stops POSTing/
powering on when it has been fine for a prolonged period (6 months or more) its
because the PSU has gone bad. It's often not considered because the PSU powers up
and is mistakenly ruled out. Just because it is powering on does not mean it is
providing correct voltages.
Sid View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sid Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Jul 2021 at 2:19pm
Thank you, I will buy a PSU and try. What is the likelihood a PSU going bad all on a sudden? Right now, the motherboard is on its own, every peripheral disconnected, only one monitor connected and mouse/keyboard through the two USB ports. I can only think, if its not PSU, then the MB is gone for good, but surprisingly, it happened just like that!
Xaltar View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Xaltar Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Jul 2021 at 4:36pm
Originally posted by Sid Sid wrote:

What is the likelihood a PSU going bad all on a sudden?

Very high, the PSU is one of the most common failure points in modern systems.
Sid View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sid Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Jul 2021 at 10:06pm
Thank you for the help. Changing the PSU helped. Frankly, I was very skeptical about the PSU going bad as it is a sturdy Corsair 500W PSU, very heavy and looks real good and didn't think it can go bad. So I bought a chippy A$39 PSU to see if the PC works and it did. So, I left it in there and run it for some time or as long as it runs.

Thank you once again, really appreciate your help. Stay well and stay safe.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic