ASRock.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Technical Support > AMD Motherboards
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - HDD not accessible after sleep with X570 & Zen 3
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search Search  Events   Register Register  Login Login

HDD not accessible after sleep with X570 & Zen 3

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rockassx Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: HDD not accessible after sleep with X570 & Zen 3
    Posted: 21 Jul 2021 at 9:36pm

Hi all.

I was a happy customer with X570 Steel Legend with the BIOS 3.70 + Ryzen 9 3900X.

However, after I put Ryzen 9 5900X in it, things got terrible.

On Windows 10, after sleep & resume, 2 SATA HDD drives disappeared while the primary SSD is fine.

Then I disabled hybrid sleep in the power settings, and those 2 HDDs came back, however when I access some of the folders in these drives after resume, some folders and files become inaccessible.

I tried changing all options in BIOS such as ACPI settings and Wake Up settings and SATA power settings (auto -> all enabled now), but still no luck.

In the advanced power settings of Windows, I changed the time-to-sleep for HDD to zero, disabled PCI Express link power control and USB selective suspend, but still no luck.

Can anyone advise what to do next other than buying another motherboard from another vendor?
Khun_Doug View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Khun_Doug Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Jul 2021 at 2:18am
I suggest opening a bug ticket with Asrock regarding your issue. Obviously there is something with your motherboard, CPU and BIOS combination that has an error with the SATA interfaces. I doubt this is something related to Windows.
rockassx View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rockassx Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Jul 2021 at 4:32am
Originally posted by Khun_Doug Khun_Doug wrote:

I suggest opening a bug ticket with Asrock regarding your issue. Obviously there is something with your motherboard, CPU and BIOS combination that has an error with the SATA interfaces. I doubt this is something related to Windows.
Thanks, by a ticket do you mean submitting a support request via this form?
http://event.asrock.com/tsd.asp
Khun_Doug View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Khun_Doug Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Jul 2021 at 5:05am
Yes, that looks like the correct place. Asrock should request enough hardware information. Explain that it worked until you went to a newer CPU and then it broke.
neuroburn View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote neuroburn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Sep 2021 at 2:23am
Sorry to revive an old threat. I have a similar problem on my X570 Pro 4. I have 2 Toshiba SATA 14 TB drives that will disappear. I have 3 other SATA drives and an NVME that work fine. If I put system into standby (S3) the drives disappear on resume. If I hibernate the system (S5) they work fine (and will even reappear from a previous standby!). The problem is certainly low level. I believe the BIOS or AGESA code within it is not sequencing the controller correctly, a Windows driver bug (the controllers use MS storahci driver), or a firmware bug in the drives.

I actually went so far as to move these BACK to a my old AB350 Pro4 (same cables and PSU) and they work just fine on resume from S3 which leans me more towards the BIOS/AGESA being the problem.
Khun_Doug View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Khun_Doug Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Sep 2021 at 3:12am
There is a BIOS dates August 8th, 2021, that specifically deal with AGESA. I don't know if that would resolve the problem or not. I do have a suggestion that may or may not be practical, depending on what all is used on your motherboard. I wonder if using some type of SAS card in a PCIe slot, and then connecting your large storage drives to that, would resolve the issue. LSI makes many types of cards, as well as other manufacturers. That would move the responsibility of handling the drives to the SAS card, not the motherboard.
rockassx View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rockassx Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Sep 2021 at 5:44am
I opened a bug ticket and had exchanged emails with the ASRock person and they sent me a BIOS a week later which resolved my issue. Then the new BIOS was published, probably it can fix the Toshiba HDD issue. Hope it helps.
ASRock_TSD View Drop Down
ASRock_Official
ASRock_Official

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ASRock_TSD Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Sep 2021 at 6:02pm
Dear rockassx,
Thank you for the posting.

For this case, we would like to provide a new BIOS P3.80 for you.
Please download the BIOS file from following link and use Instant Flash to update the BIOS to try.

BIOS P3.80: https://drive.google.com/file/d/1QuxSYsWxJIImrBkd50uLOc4Fwg68rh3l/view?usp=sharing

Thank you,

Best wishes,
ASRock TSD
rockassx View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rockassx Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Oct 2022 at 10:04pm
Exactly the same issue has happened with BIOS 4.10. I have submitted a ticket, please have a fix.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic