ASRock.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Technical Support > AMD Motherboards
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search Search  Events   Register Register  Login Login

B450m Pro4 wrong temp in BIOS

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote plantehal Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: B450m Pro4 wrong temp in BIOS
    Posted: 03 Aug 2021 at 2:35am
Just got this board to go with a Ryzen 7 2700x CPU. I had some problem while installing it, probably for being too much in a hurry. Some pins on the CPU have been bent, and then redressed. I applied too little thermal paste and then too much. I put the CPU and get no post, I pull back the CPU. I put it again and was not satisfied with the temp in BIOS (50 degree or so). I must admit I was a total amateur while building this PC.

So I finally got everything back working, even though the CPU still had some thermal paste on it (a tiny bit between some pins) that I was unable to remove.

Everything work fine and is stable, except that I now have a BIOS that shows a temperature of 6553.1 for the CPU, -1 for the MB 65535 RPM for the fans, etc.

At this stage, I wish I'd be able to find a solution without having to remove the CPU, again. Maybe it won't be possible and a sensor on the MB is simply dead. The PC is working well, so I'll do something only if I have some knowledge of what it could be, as my search didn't lead me anywhere.

Thanks.
Khun_Doug View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Khun_Doug Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Aug 2021 at 2:53am
Plantehal,

According to the BIOS list for your motherboard, the last BIOS recommended for your CPU is version 3.50. Your CPU is a Pinnacle Ridge, and all the versions of BIOS after 3.50 are advised for that make of CPU. So if you are not at 3.50 BIOS, I would recommend getting to that version.

If the error persists, I recommend contacting Asrock for support. It could be the motherboard has a faulty sensor. They will be able to better determine if a faulty CPU pin could be causing this.
plantehal View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote plantehal Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Aug 2021 at 11:47pm
Thanks Khun_Doug,

I had the version 3.30 of the BIOS and i updated it to 3.50, as the later versions are not recommended for the 2700x cpu. Nothing changed though and I still have this weird temperature in the BIOS.

Maybe I will just keep it that way, as my PC is very stable (well, almost, because it won't shut down completly under windows 10, neither in Windows 11, I have to shut it down manually by pressing the power button. Maybe it's related, maybe not).

Thanks
Khun_Doug View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Khun_Doug Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Aug 2021 at 1:45am
Plantehal,

The only other thing I would recommend doing, if the BIOS supports this, is to set the fans to some constant speed. I wouldn't trust them to ramp up speed depending on thermals, since the thermals are reporting incorrect values. If the fan control lets you set a manual speed, I would put in something reasonable to keep the CPU cool.

Since this was your first PC, you learned a lesson on how to build. We all were there. Run it for a year or so, and then upgrade both the motherboard and CPU. You will be able to keep the same PSU, GPU and SSD. Maybe even the RAM will move to a new motherboard. The next one you will know things now to do, and the build will go better.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic