ASRock.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Technical Support > AMD Motherboards
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search Search  Events   Register Register  Login Login

x570 Taichi replaced CPU 09 no boot

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jbresee Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: x570 Taichi replaced CPU 09 no boot
    Posted: 16 Aug 2021 at 5:02am
Hi Folks,

I have an x570 Taichi that has been running well for over a year. The CPU fan began failing, and the system would shut down with with an overheat error.

When I went to pull the CPU fan, the thermal grease had solidified and bonded the cpu to the fan. This meant it came out of the socket despite the lever still being locked.
A bunch of CPU pins were bent, and one snapped when I tried to straighten it.

I purchased a new CPU, and the machine won't boot.

Dr. Debug shows it proceed through a C5 error to a 0d before resetting and trying to restart again.

Here's what I've tried:
1. reset CMOS
2. Stripped out everything except a single memory stick in slot 0
3. Swapped in the other memory stick into slot 0
4. Reseated the graphics card

Nothing allows the board to get past the 0d.

I am suspecting that the AM4 socket was also damaged.

What do you guys think? Is this thing dead?

Thank you for your thoughts!
Khun_Doug View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Khun_Doug Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Aug 2021 at 8:51am
Jbresee ,

You didn't mention if the new CPU is the same exact CPU that failed. If not, it is possible the BIOS needs an update to recognize the new CPU.

Other than that, I suspect you are correct. If the firmware you have supports the CPU you put in, and it still fails terribly, then the AM4 socket likely got damaged.
jbresee View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jbresee Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Aug 2021 at 2:23am
Oh!
That's a really great point. The CPU is not exact. I'm going to try to use FlashBack to upgrade to the current bios. I also am going to make sure the memory is compatible with the new CPU while I'm at it.

I should have thought of that, thanks for the direction! I'll let you know what I find out.

jbresee View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jbresee Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Aug 2021 at 3:30am
Ok -
I used flashback to burn the lastest ROM, and it appears to have completed sucessfully.
I checked the ram, and the specific sticks I have from Team are NOT on the QVL.

The boot behavior remains the same. dr debug rolls through a bunch of codes, the last two being:

C5
0d

It hangs on 0d for a minute then power cycles and starts the process again.

Question:

- Would you suggest swapping the memory for QVL listed sticks?
- Or - Swap the Mobo?

Khun_Doug View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Khun_Doug Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Aug 2021 at 4:57am
Jbresee,

If you are able to enter BIOS, I would recommend setting all the memory values to Auto, and do not attempt to use XMP for the time being. If you can get the PC to start, you can always adjust the memory timing later.

In the event you cannot even get into BIOS, then it is likely the motherboard is toast. That would be the firs thing to replace in this scenario. And even if the new motherboard does not have your memory on the QVL, you can do the same procedure as recommended above. Start with Auto, get a stable machine, and work on tuning the memory later. My memory is not on the QVL and I have the X570 Creator. After I changed to the Ryzen 5950X I had to tune memory as the XMP would render crashes when under memory load. I was able to get so close to the XMP speeds that the small difference won't matter all that much.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic