ASRock.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Technical Support > AMD Motherboards
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search Search  Events   Register Register  Login Login

B550M Pro4 + new build - won't boot

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gascantx Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: B550M Pro4 + new build - won't boot
    Posted: 28 Aug 2021 at 6:12am
Hi. I am in need of some help...

I have a new build of the following:

Motherboard: ASRock B550M Pro4
CPU: AMD Ryzen 5 1600
RAM: G.Skill TridentZ RGB DDR4-3000 8GBx2
Video Card: Diamond Multimedia AMD Radeon HD 5450 PCI Express
Power Supply: EVGA SuperNOVA 120-GP-0650-X1, 650 G+, 80 Plus Gold 650W

I have the hard drives and all other peripherals unplugged.

The system will not complete POST. I get NO output on the display (via HDMI cable).

I have changed the slot for the video card - no change in symptoms.

I have wiped the CMOS (one time by pulling the battery, the second time by jumpering the pins) - no change in symptoms.

What am I missing?

thank you.

Khun_Doug View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Khun_Doug Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Aug 2021 at 2:50pm
Hi Gascantx,

The first thing I would try is removing one stick of RAM and leave the remaining stick in A2 (from what I can gather from the user manual, that is the slot for a single stick config). If that won't start, try swapping the sticks.

If that doesn't work, you could have a defective GPU, PSU, or CPU. If you have a spare GPU available, just something enough to get video to a display, I would try that. I doubt it's the PSU, but check to make sure the fans are spinning. And lastly, it could be the CPU is cooked. I would think the CPU is your most likely culprit, followed by the GPU.
Xaltar View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Xaltar Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Aug 2021 at 10:08pm
The 1600 isn't on your CPU support list, not even the 2600 (1600AF would work if
it was). You will need a compatible CPU or a 400 series board depending on what is
easier/cheaper for you.
Khun_Doug View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Khun_Doug Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Aug 2021 at 10:12pm
Good catch Xaltar. I assumed the op knew to check CPU compatibility. That's what I get for responding at 3AM.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic