ASRock.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Technical Support > AMD Motherboards
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search Search  Events   Register Register  Login Login

Motherboard troubles

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote noonanda Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Motherboard troubles
    Posted: 25 Sep 2021 at 5:08am
Just bought a B550M Pro4 motherboard, Corsair DDR4 3200MHz memory (8GB x 2)and an AMD Ryzen 5 5600x processor. have a 750W power supply.

When I hit the power button the boot and VGA post lights come on, no post, no keyboard lights. I am trying to use an HDMI monitor.

Have checked the cables all are good to go. I know I need to flash my BIOS in order to use this processor, but I cant even get to the bios screen.

Any ideas?
noonanda View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote noonanda Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Sep 2021 at 5:22am
Correction it is the CPU and DRAM lights
Xaltar View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Xaltar Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Sep 2021 at 5:31am
What GPU are you using? The 5600x will require that you have a dedicated one.
noonanda View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote noonanda Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Sep 2021 at 6:01am
Originally posted by Xaltar Xaltar wrote:

What GPU are you using? The 5600x will require that you have a dedicated one.

I was planning on using the on board card, but I tried installing my NVDIA GTX960 2GB PCIE card with no luck either
Xaltar View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Xaltar Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Sep 2021 at 7:07pm
The onboard outputs require an APU to use. An APU is a CPU with built in graphics.
Your 5600x is not an APU and therefore the display outputs on your motherboard
won't produce any signal.
Xaltar View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Xaltar Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Sep 2021 at 7:10pm
As for the no post issue, what BIOS version is on your board? It should be printed
on a small white sticker on the BIOS chip. The 5600x will require BIOS version
1.20 or later. If you are on an older version then you will either need to borrow/buy
a compatible CPU (with the BIOS version you have) and update or take the board to
a tech service center and ask them to update it for you, whichever is most convenient.

Here is your CPU support list:
https://www.asrock.com/mb/AMD/B550M%20Pro4/index.asp#CPU

Edited by Xaltar - 25 Sep 2021 at 7:12pm
noonanda View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote noonanda Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Sep 2021 at 8:39pm
Originally posted by Xaltar Xaltar wrote:

The onboard outputs require an APU to use. An APU is a CPU with built in graphics.
Your 5600x is not an APU and therefore the display outputs on your motherboard
won't produce any signal.

What would be required to utilize the onboard graphics, a totally different processor?

I apologize, its been about 10 years since I built a computer and it seems to have become not as simple LOL
Xaltar View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Xaltar Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Sep 2021 at 12:09am
No need to apologize

You would need a CPU that ends in a "G" The G indicates built in Graphics. A "GE"
CPU would also work, the E just stands for Efficient which indicates a lower power
CPU. The actual term for CPUs that have a GPU built in is APU (Accelerated
Processing Unit).

If the 5600x isn't working for you then you may want to look at a CPU from the
list I linked that is supported under "ALL" BIOS versions, one that ends in a "G"
suffix. This is where things get tricky, BIOS versions and compatibility dependencies.
The issue is that the only APUs (G class CPUs) that are supported under all BIOS versions
on your board are OEM only parts (only sold to manufacturers like Dell etc).
While you can get hold of them it's typically only on sites like Ebay or Aliexpress.
There you run into issues with lacking warranties etc.

You best option would be to get the board's BIOS updated to the latest version
by an IT service center or the like then be able to use any of the G class APUs
listed. If you do this before returning the 5600x you can at least test everything
using a dedicated GPU and make sure everything else works before ordering the
new APU and returning the 5600x.
Xaltar View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Xaltar Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Sep 2021 at 12:12am
Just to clarify, ASRock typically updates all the boards they ship out to the
latest BIOS available at the time of shipping. The problem is, if the boards sit
in a warehouse or on a store shelf for months before being sold the end user often
ends up with a board that has an older BIOS version, one that may not support newer
CPU/APU generations. The store is supposed to update the boards before shipping
them to customers (most good ones do) but many don't. I suspect this is why you
couldn't get the system to boot even with a GPU installed.
caseycp View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote caseycp Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Dec 2021 at 7:41am
I think I'm in the same boat. Just finished a new build with my son with a Ryzen 5600G Proc in a B550M Pro4 MB. Per the list posted earlier that chip is certified with BIOS 1.80, but the sticker on our MB is 1.50. We're caught in the catch 22: if we could boot to a CD drive and update the BIOS, we're golden, but since the graphics are bundled with the CPU (that won't boot), our monitor remains dark. I think at this point I will try the AMD borrow-an-older-CPU deal:
https://www.amd.com/en/support/kb/faq/pa-105
Or try to beg/borrow/steal a separate graphics card.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic