ASRock.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Technical Support > AMD Motherboards
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search Search  Events   Register Register  Login Login

Motherboard troubles

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
Author
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Xaltar Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Dec 2021 at 4:25pm
Check your local used listings (Facebook marketplace etc) for old used PCIe GPUs.
You can usually find something old that is useless for gaming for cheap. I picked
up a Geforce 9500gt the other day for the equivalent of about $5USD. I had to go
and physically collect it but it saved me paying shipping and waiting.

The other alternative is to check with your local IT stores and see how
much they would charge to update your BIOS for you. Some where I live don't
charge much given how common outdated BIOS issues are.   

Edited by Xaltar - 30 Dec 2021 at 4:25pm
MadScientist View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MadScientist Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Jan 2022 at 10:22pm
Originally posted by caseycp caseycp wrote:

I think I'm in the same boat. Just finished a new build with my son with a Ryzen 5600G Proc in a B550M Pro4 MB. Per the list posted earlier that chip is certified with BIOS 1.80, but the sticker on our MB is 1.50. We're caught in the catch 22: if we could boot to a CD drive and update the BIOS, we're golden, but since the graphics are bundled with the CPU (that won't boot), our monitor remains dark. I think at this point I will try the AMD borrow-an-older-CPU deal:
https://www.amd.com/en/support/kb/faq/pa-105
Or try to beg/borrow/steal a separate graphics card.

I have the same MB and CPU and had to update the bios to support the CPU. You will need an AMD Matisse, Renoir, or Vermeer CPU and a GPU. I used a 3600 CPU and an Nvidia Geforce 1660 GPU to upgrade the bios.
caseycp View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote caseycp Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Jan 2022 at 2:20am
Thanks Xaltar and MadScientist. Gives me hope!
Question: when you swapped your Ryzen 5600 back in, did you take out the GPU? Curious if you have both a graphics card as well as the "G" processor with embedded graphics installed, how does the system "choose"?
Thanks!
caseycp View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote caseycp Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Jan 2022 at 3:57am
Well AMD gave me the run-around and is not going to lend me a legacy processor to boot up with and update the BIOS. Is there a local service provider that could update the BIOS for me? Or am I SOL? I live in the Portland, Oregon, USA area.
caseycp View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote caseycp Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Jan 2022 at 7:04am
Tale of woe continues: AMD relented and sent me a Ryzen 3 3100 CPU. Found a cheap GPU on Craigslist. Hooked everything up...still did not boot. Solid red LEDs on the mobo. So now I'm returning the motherboard so ASRock can update the BIOS. Hopefully it's not something else.
Xaltar View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Xaltar Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Jan 2022 at 6:50pm
If ASRock updates it for you they will double check to make sure everything is
working properly on the board so at least you will know it checks out. I have
been assured by my contacts in ASRock's tech support department that they test
every board they get in for updates before returning it
caseycp View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote caseycp Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Jan 2022 at 1:29am
That's great news, Xaltar!
caseycp View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote caseycp Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Feb 2022 at 4:17am
Wanted to pen the epilogue of my tale for posterity. Got the MoBo back from ASRock, plugged in the CPU and all the bits. And it fired right up!
Thanks ASRock!
Xaltar View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Xaltar Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Feb 2022 at 5:31am
Fantastic, glad to hear it
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
  Share Topic