ASRock.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Technical Support > Intel Motherboards
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search Search  Events   Register Register  Login Login

PC randomly freezes

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mike99 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: PC randomly freezes
    Posted: 25 Sep 2021 at 1:25pm
I recently started using a new Windows 10 PC. It only has Thunderbird 78 & Firefox 92 on it.

Several times a day TB would open to a blank screen which said "Not responding" in the upper left corner. The only way to close it is to power off the PC. A few times FF also locked up but not recently.

I ran sfc /scannow which indicated it was repairing/replacing files. TB & FF worked great for 5 days, but then TB froze 3 times within an hour. It cannot be closed in task manager or using taskkill. The PC has to be powered off.

Last night I restored a drive image. TB & FF worked OK for 24 hours. I probably opened TB 25-30 times. But then TB opened to a blank screen & "Not responding" again.

Also, right after I did the image restore I opened File Explorer & it opened to a blank white screen and "Not responding". First time I saw File Explorer do that.

Is there anything in Event Viewer that could indicate what is wrong? I created a dump file in Task Manager before I powered off the PC. Might there be something in there that would indicate the problem?
RLGL View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RLGL Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Sep 2021 at 9:54pm
What are the exact specs of the unit?
Asrock Z370 Gaming K6,Intel i7 8700K,
Asrock x570 Taichi

Mike99 View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mike99 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Sep 2021 at 11:36pm
ASRock B365M Pro4 mobo, Intel i5-9400 CPU, 16GB RAM, Samsung 500GB EVO 970+ M.2 for the C: drive for Windows & programs and a Samsung 1TB EVO 970+ M.2 for the D: drive for storage.

I did install the Samsung NVM Express Driver 3.3 that's recommended for the drives I'm using. It's only for 5 or 6 drive models & makes me wonder what's so "special" about those drives, and are they not compatible with the mobo even though ASRock told me they are. I did have the problem before installing that driver.

Earlier I had MS Works9 installed & could open it when TB was not responding. Another time I opened FF when TB was not responding but FF froze.

Yet another time when FF was not responding I was able to open TB without a problem.

Seems kind of random what I can open when TB or FF is not responding.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic