ASRock.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Technical Support > Intel Motherboards
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search Search  Events   Register Register  Login Login

Windows 11 installation/compatibility

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Xaltar Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Windows 11 installation/compatibility
    Posted: 11 Oct 2021 at 11:41pm
ASRock's tech support department has reached out to me and asked me to share some
information about Windows 11, how to upgrade and compatibility:

https://asrock.com/support/faq.asp?k=500.

This will show a list of chipsets and CPU's that are supported

But there are some conditions

1.       Windows 10 must be installed in GPT (UEFI) Mode

2.       CSM must be Disabled

3.       And TPM must be activated

When people have MBR formatted drives, they can google for mbr2gpt, there is a Microsoft tool for it (of course after making backups)

If that is all done, the upgrade should go fine.

Unsupported hardware:

For people who have older hardware, an upgrade is not possible, it will stop at
the hardware checks, and that is it.

But, a clean installation is in many cases possible (We have already had some
customers with 970 Pro3, Z87 and Z97 boards successfully upgrade).

They just have to disable CSM, and install in GPT mode.

Edited by Administrator - 22 Nov 2023 at 2:08pm
MAston99 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MAston99 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Dec 2021 at 7:45pm
Thanks for sharing!
Palladini971 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Palladini971 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Jan 2022 at 11:08pm
What I do not understand, what is CSM? What is Dap, and where do I find them in the BIOS>
I run Linux Mint, Manjaro and Windows 10
joonsmith View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote joonsmith Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Jan 2023 at 3:22am
Arigato guzaimus buddy.

Regards,

<a href="https://www.ivacy.com/blog/sportsurge/">Sportsurge</a>
JS
Harolin67 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Harolin67 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Mar 2023 at 5:53pm
Thank you for the information about the hardware requirements and conditions for upgrading to Windows 10 in GPT (UEFI) mode.

It's good to know that people with MBR formatted drives can use the mbr2gpt tool to convert their drives before upgrading, and that disabling CSM and activating TPM are also necessary steps.
Overall, it's important for people to make sure their hardware meets the necessary requirements before attempting an upgrade or clean installation of Windows 10 in GPT (UEFI) mode.
noelman8 View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote noelman8 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Jun 2023 at 3:43am
https://asrock.com/support/faq.asp?id=500

this is the new link to the FAQ page about TPM 2.0 & Windows 11
BellamyAmos View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BellamyAmos Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Jul 2023 at 9:43pm
It's great that you're providing information about supported and unsupported hardware for upgrading to Windows 10. Upgrading to Windows 10 requires specific conditions to be met, such as having it installed in GPT (UEFI) mode, disabling CSM, and activating TPM. For those with MBR-formatted drives, using the mbr2gpt tool from Microsoft can help convert the drive to after making backups, facilitating a smooth upgrade process.
https://feecheckers.com/
Palladini View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Palladini Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Aug 2023 at 12:11am
I will never install Windows 11 on my Asrock MB-based Computer. In fact when I had this computer made by a local business, it came installed with Windows 10 on it. Well, I took a USB Thumb Drive, installed the Linux Mint ISO on it, and on first start up I went right to the USB Thumb Drive and installed Linux Mint right over the Windows Drive.
Palladini
Video Editor
ImpliedConsent View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ImpliedConsent Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Aug 2023 at 11:15pm
Windows 11 Pro is solid on Z790-C.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic