ASRock.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Technical Support > AMD Motherboards
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - PC wont post with Ryzen 5000 even if i update BIOS
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search Search  Events   Register Register  Login Login

PC wont post with Ryzen 5000 even if i update BIOS

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jacksu456 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: PC wont post with Ryzen 5000 even if i update BIOS
    Posted: 14 Oct 2021 at 9:50pm
Im building a new PC with a Ryzen 5 5600G and an ASRock B550M-HDV, and I know that i have to update the BIOS for it to work, i did it before with another PC and updated it to version 1.9 with a Ryzen 3 3100, that one worked perfectly.

But im doing it again with another newly built PC and i dont have access to that Ryzen again, i only have a ryzen 3 3200G, and i know its incompatible but i tried to post it with that one anyway, and to my surprise it did post with it and i updated it to 1.9 just like the other one, but my ryzen 5 5600G wont post the PC, even with the update.

I am suspecting that i need to update it with a ryzen with vermeer, renoir or mattise family CPU just like the asrock website says but its weird because the MOBO is already updated to version 1.9, so whats the deal?

Thank you for helping me out!
Xaltar View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Xaltar Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Oct 2021 at 11:55pm
If it's updated to 1.90 the 5600g should work, what CPU you used to update with
doesn't make a difference. If the system is POSTing and working with the 3200g
on 1.90 then it should work with the 5600g. Clear CMOS using the jumper and
remove the CMOS battery for 10 mins with the power unplugged from the system. Be
sure to press and hold the power button for 5 seconds or so with the power disconnected
to fully discharge the residual power in the system.

After 10 - 20 mins, reinstall the CMOS battery and reconnect the power and try
to boot with the new CPU and a single stick of RAM in slot A2. Leave the system
on for at least 20mins even if it's not POSTing. Sometimes memory training can
take a while on the first POST with a new CPU.

Edited by Xaltar - 14 Oct 2021 at 11:55pm
jacksu456 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jacksu456 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Oct 2021 at 12:33am
Hi! Thank you for replying, i tried exactly how you told me to, but it still just posts on this black screen with a white hyphen in the middle. Just like before.

The only variable that changed in the 2 situations of this happening is that i used a Ryzen 3 3100, so its pretty weird this keeps happening, what could be wrong?
jacksu456 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jacksu456 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Oct 2021 at 12:40am

Edited by Xaltar - 15 Oct 2021 at 3:50am
Xaltar View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Xaltar Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Oct 2021 at 3:53am
Interesting, I wonder if it's actually required for the 5000-g series to work. I
don't see how it should be but I could be wrong.

You can try sending a support ticket to ASRock Tech Support:
https://event.asrock.com/tsd.asp

They will be able to tell you for sure.
jacksu456 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jacksu456 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Oct 2021 at 4:08am
Thanks for the replies! I appreciate it, I indeed ended up buying a Ryzen 5 3600X to update it, it even said on the BIOS: "update 1.20" it downgraded! Pretty weird, but anyways, I updated it again and it finally worked!
MadScientist View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MadScientist Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Oct 2021 at 8:21pm
A little late to the show, but to support Ryzen 5000 G-series processors, it requires to update the BIOS with Matisse, Renoir or Vermeer CPU, not the 3200G.
Al-kibir View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Al-kibir Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Oct 2021 at 6:37am
AsRock x570 Phantom Gaming ITX/TB3 mATX, Graphics on Board using a Ryzen 5 5600G or Similar.

Very Important. No panic. Contact support both at AMD and AsRock. In my case I needed a Ryzen 3 3200G to complete Bios Update. Direct flashing from a file in a USB FlashDrive won't work. Read further.

Board would only go into a Boot Loop with a black Screen. No Post Screen nothing. Before I went and spent money on new CPUs, Transport costs, etc, I contacted AMD Europe who kindly sent me an Emergency CPU, a Ryzen 3 3200G, to be able to Update the Bios. Then AsRock Support in Europe sent me some instrutions to Update the Bios properly.
The Bios has two sections. An Upper and a Lower. With Direct Flashing using a file read from a Flash Drive using the Bios itself and using the Ryzen 3 3200G, only the Upper section was being Updated. A common problem with Boards which now support Ryzen 5 5600G but before did not!
To update the whole Bios one has to create a Bootable Flash Drive With some Files one has to Download from AsRock. The files are based on a Shell with a Prompt Command line. We also get a scrypt file to load the Bios File and instructions even on how to ammend this file to accomodate the correct or desired Bios version.
AMD and AsRock were very helpfull and open. They will gladly help. Without them I would have had difficulties, although if we read properly through the Bios Update pages at AsRock we can find the solution for the problem.

They are experts at support and very quickly we get through the Update.

After successfull update with the 3200G I rebooted and changed the Bios to Default parameters. Switched completely off, including Power Supply. Then reinstalled the Ryzen 5 5600G. Rebooted and waited a few minutes. Patience is important here. It might not reboot straight away. Switch off and Reboot again. Then I had the Bios working and installed the New OS. Thank you AsRock and Thank you AMD for the solutions.
Do not panic just contact Support. Good Luck.       
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic