ASRock.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Technical Support > AMD Motherboards
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - Blank UEFI/BIOS, no splash screen, no Boot Menu£n
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search Search  Events   Register Register  Login Login

Blank UEFI/BIOS, no splash screen, no Boot Menu£n

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Very Frustrated Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Blank UEFI/BIOS, no splash screen, no Boot Menu£n
    Posted: 17 Nov 2021 at 12:06pm
This motherboard boots to Windows 10 just fine, consistently. I just can't change anything in the BIOS settings, as I CAN'T SEE THE SCREEN.

I've tried everything to get a BIOS Upgrade Screen to upgrade an old Ryzen 7 1700 to a 5 5600X, but it's not only impossible to update the BIOS, now after these efforts the system runs slower than ever.

Tried booting with monitors on each of the 5 connections on my RTX 2700; then pressing DEL BLANK, F6 BLANK, F4 BLANK (tried using 2 different monitors)
WHATEVER IS GOING ON WHILE A BLANK SCREEN IS DISPLAYED? I CAN'T SEE, fans are running slowly and NUM and CAP locks lights change, there's just NO DISPLAY OUTPUT. A second POWER touch boots right into Windows fine.

-     Tried crossing the wires of the CMOS Reset, boots to BLANK (with fans and lights seeming fine). Then after hitting the power button to shut off, and again to power up, boots right into Windows. (tried using 2 different monitors)
-     Removed the CMOS battery. Boots to BLANK. Simply hitting the power button shuts down, once more boots right into Windows
(tried using 2 different monitors)

-     Swapped in a GTX 960 card??rebooted again, and again with each of the 4 possible video outputs connected??BLANK every time (tried using 2 different monitors)

-     Tried running the old ASRock Restart to UEFI, BLANK with responsive keyboard just NO DISPLAY OUTPUT (tried using 2 different monitors)

-     Disabled Windows fastboot, more of the same

I'm not saying this all on ASRock, as many other people have been reporting similar experiences with American Megatrends Inc. UEFI (GARBAGE) code FAILING to display menus across many vendors. Does ASRock use AMI? I can't tell since I see nothing while it?™s booting. ?¦just comment boards are full of angry confused people, and have been for several years about just this od issue, and most mention AMI.

Under Win7, users could update the BIOS from the OS using ASRock Live Update & App Shop. Please bring it back or craft SOMETHING/ANYTHING to sort out this mess.
- I can't see the BIOS Menu?™s?
- Can't upgrade or replace the OS partition
- Can't update the UEFI/BIOS
- Can't boot from alternate drives
- Can't optimize my system

Xaltar View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Xaltar Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Nov 2021 at 3:54pm
What are your system specs, including monitor connection type (DVI, DP, HDMI etc)?
What slot do you have the GPU installed in? Are you using any adapters to connect
to your monitors? The blank screen issue usually happens when the system is defaulting
to a particular display output that is not being used, most commonly DVI when available.
It is incredibly annoying when it happens. I have only experienced it once, interestingly,
using a GTX 960 and a GTX 1660. When I installed an RX 590 in the same board the
problem went away, even when I went back to the 1660.
Very Frustrated View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Very Frustrated Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Nov 2021 at 2:20am
ASRock B450M Pro4
BIOS 1.6
RAM 2x8=16GB 2400 (no longer running XMP Timing)
Slotted in the only 16x PCIe slot:
- ZOTAC RTX 2700 (TU106-400 rA1)
- (oops, I was wrong about the old spare GPU) eVGA GTX 760SC

2 monitors:
Asus VC239 small 1080p panel with hdmi/DVI
...using (from/to) DVI/DVI, hdmi/hdmi, DP/DVI for the Asus
Visio E43-F1 4k hdmi
...using hdmi/hdmi for the Visio

Google doc of CPU-Z Report (site doesn't support links to secure URLs?!?)
https://tinyurl.com/ypsatrzu

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Very Frustrated Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Nov 2021 at 2:38am
Sorry for not saying:
Thank you in advance for ANY suggestions you can share to remedy this...
Xaltar View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Xaltar Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Nov 2021 at 2:50am
Great, thanks for the extra info. You can try entering the BIOS (I know, nothing
is displayed), then switch the cable to other outputs on your GPU, see if any of
them pull up a display. Try all of them, if the system is entering the BIOS then
it should output a display on one of them. If that does not work, try some different
HDMI cables, they can be notoriously picky sometimes and if you have a bad or incorrect
version cable it could be that your system is displaying on an HDMI output but
the cable is preventing your monitor from picking it up until the OS changes the
HDMI mode/refresh rate.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Very Frustrated Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Nov 2021 at 10:09am
I used 4 different cables, all of which work perfectly with Win10, on two different monitors.

Since then, I tried a weird LG widescreen monitor which has 2 hdmi inputs. Again BLANK, the NUM and CAP lock lights change, but NO UEFI/BIOS UI is displayed.

I already tried, with fresh reboots, using 5 RTX2070 ports and 4 GTX760 ports... BLANK (with responsive keyboard) every time.

I'll run through the procedure you suggest with the RTX 2070 again:
1 hdmi, 3 DP, 2 DVI, but I already did this just slower due to reboots.

Thanks for giving a... trying to help.

...thing is all of them work perfectly in Win10, yet are just BLANK for the AMI UEFI/BIOS

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Very Frustrated Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Nov 2021 at 10:24am
Seems I need someone to say, work blindly and do this:
- Reboot
- press F6
- (I can't see) I have a USB drive with a new BIOS, what buttons to select, affirm, continue reliably?
- should I detach all other drives? I don't know?
-- is their a prefered USB3 port? I don't know?
-- this is how long it will take? (this PC has a UPS, so not an issue)
-- HOW DO I BLINDLY UPDATE this machine? In words/button presses, as I can't SEE ANYTHING, just a BLANK screen?

That would be helpful. I know the particulars of motherboard, BIOS, CPU make that impractical.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Very Frustrated Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Nov 2021 at 12:54pm
It's STILL A PROBLEM for me.

Motherboard/EUFI/BIOS that's just BLANK!

Is there ANY WAY I can flash this garbage BIOS to a more useful version?

Can't do, or much of anything, when I can't SEE the UI!

BLANK screen, BLANK screen, BLANK.. it's getting old, and ASRock hasn't dealt with this mess, and clearly never will.
Xaltar View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Xaltar Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Nov 2021 at 3:46pm
Try getting in touch with ASRock directly:
https://event.asrock.com/tsd.asp

I am afraid I am stumped... I can certainly understand your frustration.
Good luck, hopefully they can sort your issue out.
spacednow View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote spacednow Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Nov 2021 at 3:14am
Just curious. Did you try downloading and installing restart to UEFI program from Asrock? There are several programs that can cause a reboot into safe mode also. Be careful here though, I had one get stuck endlessly rebooting into safe mode, took the better part of a day to figure that out. The are some options to load bios presets from a USB on all B450 asrock boards (I think), but you would have to get sombody to upload default bios settings for your board and do a little research on how to load it (download the manual for your board). Good luck.
The more you learn the less you know.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic