ASRock.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Technical Support > AMD Motherboards
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search Search  Events   Register Register  Login Login

X470 master sli no display in 16x slot

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sjones Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: X470 master sli no display in 16x slot
    Posted: 26 Nov 2021 at 5:22am
I have recently got a x470 master sli board along with a new 5950x and got it up and running easily enough.
I had left it on overnight and by the morning it looked as if it had crashed - no display output and didn't see it on the network (could of just been a display issue and not a full crash)
I had the GPU in pcie slot 4 (second x16 slot) after rebooting the pc I still got no video out yet boots into windows.

If I put the GPU in any of the pcie x1 slot, I get video out again. However putting it into the x16 slot I don't get any video out.

I then got an old pcie x1 extension cable - tested it first in the x1 slot and as expected I got video output - using the same extender in either of the x16 slots (so still running on x1) again no video out.

I went through the bios and changed the target pcie gen speed to see if it made a difference but nope.

The fact it initially worked and then stopped (not even getting post screen) should mean the bios shouldn't be an issue - I updated it to the latest anyway to ensure the 5950x worked with it and reset it to defaults amid my testing.

Any ideas on what could be wrong and any more diagnostics I could do?

I'm sure I read that some pcie lanes are on the CPU and some are on the chipset - could this be the issue?
Sjones View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sjones Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Nov 2021 at 1:23pm
Just took the CPU, reluctant to do so as I was out of thermal paste, turns out the board/CPU has burnt out what I presume is the pcie connection

Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic