ASRock.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Technical Support > Intel Motherboards
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search Search  Events   Register Register  Login Login

Dr.debug error 00 on z170 extreme6

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Greatgatsbi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Dr.debug error 00 on z170 extreme6
    Posted: 13 Feb 2016 at 12:57am
Assembled a new pc.booted it up .loaded wondows 10.every thing worked fine.went to run some errands.while updates were being installed .came back windows crashed saying some error has occured .tried to reset the the pc.nothing happened.motherboard dr.debug led shows 00.case fans connected to psu are working .cpu cooler (noctua nh-d15)fans are not working.specs:i7 6700k,asrock z170 extreme6, gskill 16gb 3200mhz (8+8)ram,seasonic 750 w 80+gold psu,noctua nhd-15 cpu cooler,
parsec View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote parsec Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Feb 2016 at 1:15am
The Dr Debug 00 error indicates a dead CPU, or the CPU is not getting power, so not working.

Try clearing the BIOS/UEFI with the jumper or switch on the board, after removing power from the PC.

Check the connections of the power cables to the board, particularly the 4/8 pin CPU power cable.

A 00 error code might indicate the board has a problem, such as in the CPU's VRMs.

New parts can fail shortly after they are used for the first time. Are all the parts new?

Did you check the CPU temperature in the UEFI or Windows, to insure the CPU cooler is mounted correctly?
wardog View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wardog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Feb 2016 at 8:19am
00 on Z170 boards has also been pointing to incompatible or defective/dead memory.
wardog View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wardog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Feb 2016 at 8:27am
Originally posted by wardog wardog wrote:

00 on Z170 boards has also been pointing to incompatible or defective/dead memory.

Hmmm you say:
""cpu cooler (noctua nh-d15)fans are not working""

Where they spinning when you initially installed the parts on first power up?

Check that you have the fan(s) connected to the proper CPU Fan header.

Check that their wiring is maybe kinked up and creating an open.

Greatgatsbi View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Greatgatsbi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Feb 2016 at 3:21pm
Yes they were,everything was working on first switch
Xaltar View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Xaltar Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Feb 2016 at 3:46pm
Disconnect everything from the board and reconnect it again making sure everything is seated correctly. Remove and reseat the CPU as well. While you have the CPU out make sure it is not warped and that there are no damaged/bent pins on the motherboard socket.

I have always hated problems like this, the kind where you leave the PC alone for a while only to return and find a problem. It is very difficult to discover what went wrong in this situation. My first suspicion would be a power surge/outage.

After you have tried the above lets move one to checking other possibilities. Because there are a fairly large number of reasons you could be getting the 00 code I would start with eliminating power as the issue, if at all possible try with a different PSU. By the sound of it the system is refusing to power the board (CPU fan not turning) which may well be due to a damaged PSU. 
Greatgatsbi View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Greatgatsbi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Feb 2016 at 5:13pm
Motherboard is dead .i have a ups and power surge protector on the line .still this has happened .cpu pins are fine.any precautions advised
Dubhead View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dubhead Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Feb 2016 at 9:13am
Hello,
   I noticed this thread when searching for some insight on the Dr. Debug error code "00".  I am currently receiving this error and beyond frustrated with troubleshooting for it. First some context:

- Have built 7 PCs, most recent before current was X99 platform, no issues
- This is a brand new build and includes the following components:
  • ASRock Z170 Extreme 7+ Motherboard
  • Intel Core i7-6700K Processor
  • G.SKILL Ripjaws V Series 32GB DDR4 3200 SDRAM
  • Corsair RM 750x 750 Watt Power Supply
  • Corsair H100i Liquid CPU Cooler
  • Fractal Design Define R4 Case
  • Intel 750 PCIe 400GB SSD Drive
  • Zotac GeForce GTX 970 AMP! Extreme Core Edition GPU
  • LG WH16NS40 Blu-ray Disc Rewriter
- This was first assembled on 2/13/16 and upon this first assembly, the Dr.Debug code "00" appeared.  Upon further troubleshooting, it was noted that there were 3 bent pins on ASRock mobo.  After a few attempts to put them back into place with magnifier and needle, a second replacement ASRock Z170 Extreme 7+ mobo was ordered to replace one with bad pins (not sure this board has any use or salvage available)

Current problem:

- Still receiving the Dr. Debug code "00" after performing CMOS reset (via jumpers and button) and trying both A and B BIOS options.  See the two videos to watch the startup and the codes it is cycling through.  Initially, I test without any additional PCIe cards added "A" BIOS selected (Video 1)and the second boot is with cards added and using "B" BIOS selected (Video 2).  The net result is the same.  I am suspicious of the processor at this point but am not sure how the processor could be damaged as it has never been used and potentially it is defective (which seems even more unlikely) but I will be attempting to get an exchange with it.

Would appreciate any troubleshooting steps that would be relevant here as I see some options in this thread that may be worthwhile but hoping that this build isn't a total bust as it is turning out.  Haven't been impressed yet by the ASRock mobos and haven't had any troubles like this before on previous builds.

Thanks,
~Dubhead Cool

Edited by Dubhead - 22 Feb 2016 at 3:13am
parsec View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote parsec Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Feb 2016 at 1:13pm
Your memory is missing from you list of components. If no memory is installed in the board, it won't start or POST.

I use a Z170 Extreme7+ board, since August of 2016. Never had any problems with it.

Besides not having the 4/8 pin CPU power cable connected, or your memory being not compatible, it does seem to be a defective CPU. We both know that is very rare, but so would receiving two bad boards in a row. Unless the retailer you are using was the source of both boards, and they received a bad production run of boards. We are not aware of any such thing from information in this forum.

I imagine you checked the second board for bent pins in the CPU socket.

Given a 00 Dr Debug (POST) code, the board, processor, memory, etc, has never even started the POST process yet.

It is possible for some CPU coolers to be over-tightened to the point that they damage the CPU, or cause the socket pins to not contact the bottom of the processor. The Corsair H series coolers are normally not of that type, although their backplates can be mounted incorrectly and cause uneven pressure on the CPU and socket.

I would try using just two memory DIMMs to start, in slots A2 and B2. If you have 8 or 16GB DIMMs, try using just one in the B2 slot.

If everything is new, do you feel that the PSU is working correctly? Do you have a spare PSU to try as a test?

With power from the PSU applied to the board, try connecting an active network cable to one of the network jacks. If you see any of the two LEDs on either side of the jack light up, the board is getting power and the network chip is working. A new board that has never been powered up might not show any activity from the network chips, so no LEDs lighting up is not a definitive sign the board is bad or not receiving power.

I would try to verify that the CPU is not defective and the PSU is working as it should.

Rather difficult to be impressed with a mother board that has not been able to start yet. I've been using ASRock boards since the Z77/Ivy Bridge days, and I've never had one that was defective out of the box. I've never returned or had to RMA one of the nine boards I've used yet.
Dubhead View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dubhead Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Feb 2016 at 3:28am
Parsec,
   Thanks for the bump about the memory as I had forgotten it in my list for my post earlier (updated now).  Not sure if the 4 sticks were visible in the videos, but they were installed and seated properly. I understand this memory to be Z170 chipset compatible but I will give shot to the removal of two of the sticks to see if there is any change in behavior for the debug code.  I am suspect of the CPU still as you mention and had read the Skylake processors can be more sensitive to pressure from cooling fans (the taller kind that present greater leverage against the chip) and perhaps not as much from a liquid CPU cooler like the H100i that I am using although it is possible to damage as you said from backplate being installed incorrectly.
    I did check the socket for bent pins again on the new mobo due to the first board having this issue and did not note any obvious bent pins or damage.  I did this in between the two videos I posted. I ordered both of these boards from Newegg.  I do feel the PSU is performing fine and do not have a second to really test with in this case.  I continue to remain hopeful that a few more troubleshooting steps might reveal a culprit for this code but am running low on time to send defective components in for exchanges or otherwise.  Will check out the memory stick changes to see if that does anything, hopefully I got compatible and non-defective memory sticks as I didn't realize the Dr. Debug code "00" also implied potentially that memory may be at issue.  The manual states CPU for this code and a number of other codes that are related to memory issues.

~Dubhead
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic