ASRock.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Technical Support > AMD Motherboards
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search Search  Events   Register Register  Login Login

B550 Steel Legend BSOD when auto voltage

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote flatlineskillz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: B550 Steel Legend BSOD when auto voltage
    Posted: 29 Dec 2021 at 10:23pm
Good Morning:

I have been having a reoccuring issue with my PC BSODing with DPC Watchdog Violations unless I manually set the voltage on my processor. If I set it manually I have no issues. The BSOD Points to amdppm.sys as the module. When I set it manually and have it under load (gaming etc) temps are below 60C and idle temps are around 30-35C. Manually setting the voltage my system is stable, sleeps/resumes etc with no issues but with manual voltage I miss out on the processor being able to throttle up or down depending on what I am doing.

I originally thought it was my cooling but I have tried multiple coolers and the most recent one was installed by a pro with no change.

I also suspected RAM but I replaced my RAM yesterday with approved Corsair Ballistix 3200 and thought maybe I could set the system to auto now but no luck.

Whocrashed output:
System Information (local)

Computer name: ALT2600
Windows version: Windows 10, 10.0, version 2009, build: 22000
Windows dir: C:\Windows
Hardware: ASRock, B550 Steel Legend
CPU: AuthenticAMD AMD Ryzen 5 3600 6-Core Processor 8664, level: 23
12 logical processors, active mask: 4095
RAM: 34282569728 bytes (31.9GB)

Crash Dump Analysis

Crash dumps are enabled on your computer.

Crash dump directories:
C:\Windows
C:\Windows\Minidump

On Tue 12/28/2021 6:51:20 PM your computer crashed or a problem was reported
crash dump file: C:\Windows\Minidump\122821-8031-01.dmp
This was probably caused by the following module: amdppm.sys (amdppm+0xb992)
Bugcheck code: 0x133 (0x0, 0x501, 0x500, 0xFFFFF80410F05330)
Error: DPC_WATCHDOG_VIOLATION
file path: C:\Windows\system32\drivers\amdppm.sys
product: Microsoft® Windows® Operating System
company: Microsoft Corporation
description: Processor Device Driver
Bug check description: The DPC watchdog detected a prolonged run time at an IRQL of DISPATCH_LEVEL or above. This could be caused by either a non-responding driver or non-responding hardware. This bug check can also occur because of overheated CPUs (thermal issue).
The crash took place in a Microsoft module. The description of the module may give a hint about a non responding device in the system.
ASRock_TSD View Drop Down
ASRock_Official
ASRock_Official

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ASRock_TSD Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Dec 2021 at 1:54pm
Dear Flatlineskillz,
Thank you for the posting.

Regarding your problem we have two suggestions below for you to verify.
1.Please go to BIOS\Advance\AMD CBS\CPU Common Options to set [Global C-state Control] to [Disable] to try.
2. Boot into BIOS\OC Tweaker\External Voltage Settings and Load-Line Calibration to set the option "CPU CORE/Cache Voltage" to "Offset Mode" and set the "Offset Voltage" to "+50mV" or "+100mV".

Thank you,

Best wishes,
ASRock TSD
flatlineskillz View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote flatlineskillz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Dec 2021 at 10:57pm
I already had global C-State disabled.

I tried setting processor voltage to auto and then enabling offset mode but I could not find the option for setting the offset voltage in the bios. Just setting it to auto voltage and then offset mode resulted in the same BSOD.

ASRock_TSD View Drop Down
ASRock_Official
ASRock_Official

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ASRock_TSD Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Jan 2022 at 8:37pm
Dear Flatlineskillz,
Thank you for the test and reply.

Please restore the BIOS to default setting and don't overclock the CPU/Memory frequency to try.
If possible, please also use other CPU or memory to cross test.

Thank you,

Best wishes,
ASRock TSD
Superchilango View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Superchilango Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Jun 2022 at 6:01am
Thank you for the advise, the second option helped me solve the same issue on a similar system.

For anyone else having this issue just do 2. Boot into BIOS\OC Tweaker\External Voltage Settings and Load-Line Calibration to set the option "CPU CORE/Cache Voltage" to "Offset Mode" and set the "Offset Voltage" to "+50mV" or "+100mV".

Bare in mind you don´t need to include the mV part, I set the value to +100 and that did it apparently.
matthys70 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote matthys70 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Jan 2024 at 11:05pm
Just curious, did you do only option 2; "Offset Voltage" to "+50mV" or "+100mV"?

In my case it also solved the problem of random BSODing...
I adjusted to 100mV in BIOS version P3.20, with a AMD Ryzen 7 3700X.
I also did option 1, and now wonder if I should change it back and have only option 2 enabled....

Thanks, Matthijs
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic