ASRock.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Technical Support > Intel Motherboards
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search Search  Events   Register Register  Login Login

How to switch to Legacy BIOS for Win7 install?

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote thegreywizard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: How to switch to Legacy BIOS for Win7 install?
    Posted: 26 Feb 2016 at 1:35pm
I've having an issue installing Windows 7 64 an a Samsung SSD, getting the BSOD right at the final part of the installation.

I was told this could be due to the UEFI vs Legacy BIOS and if I switched back it would probably do a successful install.

I do not want Windows 8.1 or 10, only want to install Win7 64 so I can jump to it from time to time for a few various tasks.

So how do I easily switch from UEFI to legacy BIOS so I can complete the Win7 install and then switch back to UEFI once install is completed?

I'm also running Ubuntu as my main OS on a separate SSD than what Win7 will be installed on.
Xaltar View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Xaltar Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Feb 2016 at 1:54pm
We will need to know what motherboard you are using, the rest of your system specs would be good too Wink
thegreywizard View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote thegreywizard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Feb 2016 at 11:22am
Duh, sorry about that.

X99m Extreme4
16gb ram
EVGA 970 GTX
i7 5820k
Samsung 850 Pro SSDs, Ubuntu 16.04 is on a 128g & hoping to put Win7 on the 256g
1000w EVGA P2 PSU

Edited by thegreywizard - 27 Feb 2016 at 11:22am
parsec View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote parsec Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Feb 2016 at 12:36pm
The default UEFI settings, with CSM set to Enabled, and all CSM sub option set to Legacy Only, is all that is needed for a Legacy installation. But again, those are the default UEFI settings, which is 100% legacy mode (yuck!!) sorry Wink

It is true that Win 7 will have problems with a UEFI installation, due to a mistake in the location of a file in the folder structure of a Win 7 installation. Anything newer than Win 7 does not have this bug.

What are you using as the installation media for Win 7? If it is a USB flash drive or even an optical disk, be sure that in the Boot order you are NOT using an entry that is, "UEFI:"<device name>, where device name is whatever the media you are using is. This is probably the problem you are having.

Select the entry that is "AHCI": or "RAID:" if you are using RAID. Don't use IDE, unless you want to cripple your SSD.

There is no way, or no need, to switch between a UEFI or legacy BIOS to accomplish what you want to do. I've installed Win 7 in UEFI mode with the file fix needed for Win 7, but again, you only need to select the appropriate entry in the boot order list. NOT the one with the prefix "UEFI:".

Edited by parsec - 27 Feb 2016 at 12:40pm

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote thegreywizard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Feb 2016 at 3:14pm
Ok I'm new to UEFI, so please bear with me, what exactly is CSM and where is it located so I can set it to legacy only for a clean Win7 install?

I will be using a real Windows 7 backup install DVD.

Where would I set the SSD to ACHI in UEFI?

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote thegreywizard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Mar 2016 at 3:49am
Ok so the installed worked fine setting the SSD to SATA instead of UEFI

How do I set up a dual boot system now?  

I have Ubuntu 16.04 on a 128 SSD and Win 7 on a 256 SSD and when I plug them both in it only shows the 256/Win7 SSD in boot manager, but if I unplug it completely it will see the 128/Ubuntu SSD.

I know you're normally supposed to install windows first, but I couldn't get it to work so installed Ubuntu first, so I assume Windows overwrote the GRUB like normal, but is there an easy way to set up a dual boot system inside of UEFI once windows takes control of GRUB?

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote thegreywizard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Mar 2016 at 2:23am
bump...
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic