ASRock.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Technical Support > Intel Motherboards
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - Z77 Extreme4 - Bad Slots, Bad Ram or Bad Settings?
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search Search  Events   Register Register  Login Login

Z77 Extreme4 - Bad Slots, Bad Ram or Bad Settings?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote FS_OK Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Z77 Extreme4 - Bad Slots, Bad Ram or Bad Settings?
    Posted: 02 Mar 2016 at 5:29am
Hello Everyone,

Guess I'll start with...I've purchased the Z77 Extreme4 on 11/28/2013 and 4 G.SKILL Ripjaws X Series (F3-17000CL9D) along with various other components.

Recently, I've upgraded my GPU to the EVGA GeForce GTX 980 Ti 6GB HYBRID up from the GeForce GTX 660 2GB. Before the install, I was registering 16GBytes of the G.SKILL Ripjaws X Series, now my Geforce Experience and System are only showing 8GBytes of installed memory.

I've gone into my Bios and noticed it shows there as well "Total Memory 8192MB". Also that DDR3_A1 and B1 show ":NONE". In "System Browser" it shows all 4 sticks registered though. Also in CPUID, it shows 16GBytes registered.

All actions taken thus far...

- Before opening my tower and handling the memory sticks, I utilized Windows' built-in memory diagnostic tool to check my RAM ?�mdsched.exe?? No issues detected.

- Removed all ram sticks and inserted, one at a time, each mem stick into each slot on the mobo, beginning with slot 1 and moving over to the adjacent slot with each power cycle. I've done this with each stick individually. No boot errors with any stick in any slot.

My UEFI Version is P2.90
My current rig setup... If you don't mind me copying and pasting.

- ASRock Z77 Extreme4 LGA 1155 Intel Z77 HDMI SATA 6Gb/s USB 3.0 ATX Intel Motherboard

- G.SKILL Ripjaws X Series 8GB (2 x 4GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 2133 (PC3 17000)

- EVGA GeForce GTX 980 Ti 6GB HYBRID

- Seagate Desktop HDD ST1000DM003 1TB 64MB Cache SATA 6.0Gb/s 3.5" Internal Hard Drive

- SAMSUNG 840 EVO MZ-7TE120BW 2.5" 120GB SATA III TLC Internal Solid State Drive

- Intel Core i5-3570K Ivy Bridge Quad-Core 3.4GHz (3.8GHz Turbo) LGA 1155 77W BX80637I53570K Desktop Processor Intel HD Graphics 4000

- Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO - CPU Cooler with 120 mm PWM Fan

- CORSAIR HX Series HX750 750W ATX12V 2.3 / EPS12V 2.91 SLI Ready CrossFire Ready 80 PLUS GOLD Certified Modular Active PFC Power Supply

- Windows 10 Home 64-bit

No over-clocking or alternate tuning have been made on this system. Simple plug and play.

I'd like to thank everyone for stopping by to read my ramblings regarding my issue. Any input would be appreciated. If needing any further details, don't hesitate to ask.

Thank you,
...Jason

Edited by FS_OK - 02 Mar 2016 at 2:57pm
parsec View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote parsec Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Mar 2016 at 3:40pm
Did you clear the CMOS/BIOS before starting the PC with your new video card?

What did you do with the video driver you were using with your old card before installing the new one?

Did you start Windows Resource Manager Monitor and check the Memory tab to see what it shows for your memory usage and amount installed?

EDIT: Fixed name of Windows Resource Monitor.

Edited by parsec - 04 Mar 2016 at 1:45pm
FS_OK View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote FS_OK Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Mar 2016 at 10:57pm
Parsec,

I did not reset CMOS before starting my PC after the install.

I had uninstalled the old video driver before installing the new video card.

I did not, nor know how to start windows resource manager. (I just looked it up. I never installed "Windows System Resource Manager" before.

Question...
Could it still be helpful to reset the CMOS, via jumper, even now to see if that resolves it?

Edited by FS_OK - 02 Mar 2016 at 10:58pm
FS_OK View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote FS_OK Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Mar 2016 at 5:24am
CLearing CMOS didn't help.
parsec View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote parsec Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Mar 2016 at 2:06pm
Sorry I made a mistake, I meant the Windows Resource Monitor, which can be found in Control Panel, Administrative Tools, Resource Monitor.

Double clicking on Resource Monitor will give you a screen like this when you click on the Memory tab:

Here we can see the total amount of memory in the PC (I only have 8GB currently), and the breakdown of the usage of the memory.

Notice each title for the columns, Commit, Working Set, Shareable and Private. You can scroll down to see which processes are using how much memory.

A usual lost memory situation is a huge amount of memory will be in the Hardware Reserved category, or Standby. We can also learn if Windows is seeing all your memory.

I can't say that this will give you a definitive answer about your memory, but it may give us a clue about what is going on in your situation. That is, if Windows recognizes all your memory, and if it does, where it is being used and if some of it is being ignored or reserved for some reason.

It's a start in figuring out what the problem is.

FS_OK View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote FS_OK Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Mar 2016 at 6:33am
Oh I see.
Here's what I see...

Update...I've reformatted my SSD and have been to the ASRock site to download and install the listed drivers below...

INF driver ver:11.0.0.1156

ASMedia SATA3 Driver ver:3.1.6.0000

ASMedia USB 3.0 driver ver:1.16.26.1

Realtek high definition audio driver ver:7560
(Windows 10 64bit ver:6.0.1.7560)...thus far

Edited by FS_OK - 05 Mar 2016 at 6:35am
FS_OK View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote FS_OK Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Mar 2016 at 6:44am
All four sticks are secure. It's odd all 16Gigs were being seen and utilized before I installed the new GPU...the fact that each slot and stick throw no errors when booted individually is baffling. I'd rather have bad slots or ram so I know how to proceed rather than this confusion.

My next step considered, is to purchase a new Memory kit just to see the results. I'm holding off though. I'm spending my free time researching anything similar to my situation on various forums and posts. I've found nothing really similar yet.

Edited by FS_OK - 05 Mar 2016 at 6:50am
parsec View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote parsec Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Mar 2016 at 1:34pm
Everything unknown is odd or weird until we figure it out.

System Browser shows the memory, but in the DRAM Configuration screen, it shows slots A1 and B1 empty, right?

When you inserted each DIMM individually, you saw at first 4GB, then 8GB, but nothing after that, correct?

I have two of these boards, and have used 16GB of memory in both, so I know it can work. The memory was different, Samsung memory.

Are you using an XMP profile to set the memory parameters, or do you set them manually?

What is your DRAM voltage at now? Probably 1.5V. What does it show in the UEFI, HW Monitor screen for DRAM voltage?

Did you ever try increasing your DRAM voltage? You can safely increase the DRAM voltage with DDR3 memory up to 1.65V. If you are at 1.5V, try 1.6V as a quick test if you are concerned about damage. If nothing changes then set it back to 1.5V.

You can also try increasing the VCCSA voltage, which is related to memory. An increase of 0.025 - 0.050V is not extreme.

Actually, sometimes an increase in DRAM and the VCCSA voltage is needed for getting memory to OC, which means it increases stability at any speed. So increasing both at the same time might help.

Another thing to try is set the memory speed lower as an experiment. Crank it down to 1333 or 1600 from the current 2133.

In the DRAM Configuration screen in the UEFI, find the MRC Fast Boot setting, and set it to Disabled. This will cause a slower POST/startup time, but will enable "memory training", which is a real but relatively unknown thing that happens with memory.

The only other test I can think of now is to just try the A1 and B1 slots populated, nothing in A2 and B2, and see what happens.

Just for fun, what was the video card you replaced?

Edited by parsec - 05 Mar 2016 at 1:37pm
FS_OK View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote FS_OK Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Mar 2016 at 4:42am
Sorry for the delay. SPent some time at my friends with my computer, swapping hardware for testing. His ram does the same thing in my system as my current ram. However, all my ram registers in his rig. Anyways, to answer your questions...

Yes, A1 and B1 slots empty.

Correct...8GB is where it stops.

I have not set memory parameters so I'm assuming a profile is being used or set to auto in the UEFI config

I'll check the voltage and try the recommended.

I'll also try the speed settings.

Card I replaced was the MSI GeForce GTX 660 2GB
FS_OK View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote FS_OK Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Mar 2016 at 5:04am
A1 and B1 slots populated only...it now shows 7.95GB (Installed Memory)

disabled Fast boot...no changes

set the DRAM Frequency to DDR3-1333

Will change the DRAM Voltage to 1.5V and try again

Here's a pic of the previous settings before changes...

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic