ASRock.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Technical Support > Intel Motherboards
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search Search  Events   Register Register  Login Login

Identifying SB Fan 1

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote HenryX11 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Identifying SB Fan 1
    Posted: 16 Mar 2016 at 1:00am
There is a fan on the X79 Exreme11 MB that I do not know what to call but it is small, it sits behind the PCIe slots and is connected to the SB FAN power plug.  It does not work.  I looked but I cannot see how to remove this fan.  Can anyone tell me if this fan can be removed/replaced and if so what is the part #?

Henry Boisvert
Xaltar View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Xaltar Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Mar 2016 at 1:10am
I am not sure about the part number but you can remove the fan by removing the small screws under the fan blades, you can see one of them in the image you posted. You will also need to remove the decorative cover, it screws on on the sides of the heatsink, one is visible in your image on the left edge of the heatsink.
HenryX11 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote HenryX11 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Mar 2016 at 1:27am
Thank you for your very prompt reply, but as you can see in this new pic there are 3 screws for the face plate. The 2 on the right are blocked by the gold colored things, with no way to get to them unless the gold things can be pulled out. Any ideas?

Henry Boisvert
ASRock Expert View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote ASRock Expert Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Mar 2016 at 1:41am

I would just cut the cable, remove the screws from the fan and replace it with a better one.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16835352010&cm_re=40mm_fan-_-35-352-010-_-Product

I would buy this Fractal one, cut the frame out and just glue the new fan in place.

Done this on many boards s462 era.
990FX Extreme 9 MOD P1.70
AMD FX 8120 4GHz 1.25V
Thermalright HR-02
Patriot Viper 2x4GB 2133MHz
Samsung 850 EVO 250GB
MSI R7970 TFIII 3GB
CORSAIR VX550W
LanCool K62 Dragonlord
ASUS Xonar D2X
Xaltar View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Xaltar Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Mar 2016 at 1:53am
Originally posted by ASRock Expert ASRock Expert wrote:

I would just cut the cable, remove the screws from the fan and replace it with a better one.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16835352010&cm_re=40mm_fan-_-35-352-010-_-Product

I would buy this Fractal one, cut the frame out and just glue the new fan in place.

Done this on many boards s462 era.

This would probably be the safest option. 

You do not want to damage the "gold things" those are capacitors and are essential to the functioning of the board. 

Ordinarily you would remove the heatsink from the board entirely (it has mounting screws/fasteners accessible from the underside of the motherboard) but that is a job for a professional who knows how to handle the hardware safely.
HenryX11 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote HenryX11 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Mar 2016 at 12:17pm
Thank you so much for your helpful suggestions. If I can figure out how to do it I will mark this problem solved.

ps; did you see my other post about getting 5 short beeps + error code d6?
If you have any ideas about that issue I would appreciate your input.
Henry Boisvert
HenryX11 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote HenryX11 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Mar 2016 at 2:59am
Its me again. 
I removed everything on the mb then removed the mb and was able to remove the entire heat sink and then I cut the wire and removed the fan. Then put everything back in. Still no video output and now no beeps.
Now I get a dr debug error code 67.  Does that make any sense to you.

Henry Boisvert
Xaltar View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Xaltar Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Mar 2016 at 3:09am
That is a CPU specific code, if you removed the CPU check the socket to make sure there are no bent pins.
HenryX11 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote HenryX11 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Mar 2016 at 3:24am
No I didn't remove the cpu. Just the memory, all the cables and pcie cards.
Henry Boisvert
Xaltar View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Xaltar Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Mar 2016 at 4:28am
Check the board carefully to make sure nothing is broken off or damaged around where you were working. Maybe post some pics so we can take a look too. Motherboard repairs are always tricky.

Good luck
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic