ASRock.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Technical Support > Intel Motherboards
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search Search  Events   Register Register  Login Login

Z97 Extreme 6 and RAM compatibility

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mydogmuppet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Z97 Extreme 6 and RAM compatibility
    Posted: 05 Jun 2015 at 1:02am

A new build. It was never this difficult before. I think I should just stick to jigsaw puzzles. Am too stupid for all this. Fractal Design R4, ASRock Z97 Extreme 6/A, 1 x Samsung EVO 500gb SSD, 1 x OCZ Arc 100 256Gb SSD, assorted HDD x 5, i5 4690, be quiet L8 630W, be quiet Dark Rock cooler, crap monitor. And RAM (2 x 8Gb) that I cannot get to work as intended.

ASRock Z97 Extreme 6 with Bios P1.40 fresh out of the box. Factory settings. i5 4690 also out of the box. RAM in Slots 2 & 4. As Cooler obscures Slot 1.

I tried my build with GSkill Ripjaws X - F3-12800CL10D-16GBXL (2 x 8Gb). Would only POST with 1 x 8GB installed. So at least I assume that the CPU is working. But would not POST with 2 x 8Gb.

This RAM was just now replaced with GSkill Ares 2 x 8Gb F3-1866C10D-16GAB. Shown as compatible by GSkill. RAM GSkill 8Gb module x 2. F3-1866C10D-16GAB

1. Listed on GSkill site as compatible with above motherboard.
2. NOT listed on ASRock site as compatible.

Error Code 55 from Dr Debug.
No POST, at all, even with only 1 x 8Gb installed.
Reset CMOS. No change.
We know CPU works from first attempt with 1 x 8Gb Ripjaws X - right ?

Now I get Code 55 = Indicating the RAM is not detected - incompatible.

HELP please.

(all suggestions on 2 x 8Gb RAM that does actually work on this motherboard gratefully recieved)

Muppet

Xaltar View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Xaltar Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Jun 2015 at 1:15am
That is very odd, the RAM you listed is 1.5v DDR3 which should work in your board. I could understand if it required more voltage like some DDR3 kits but it is the standard DDR3 voltage. I assume you have already repeatedly removed and reseated the RAM seeing as by your parts list and your post you seem to know what you are doing. I would suggest replacing the stock cooler for your CPU (reseat that while you are at it) and test the first RAM slot too, if that works then put the other stick in slot 3. Gskill is a reputable brand that supplies quality memory that should work in your board so you may be looking at either a bad batch of RAM or a defect on the motherboard. If you have some other RAM (known working) to test that would be useful too.

Edited by Xaltar - 05 Jun 2015 at 1:16am
mydogmuppet View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mydogmuppet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Jun 2015 at 5:47pm
Thanks.

RAM is RAM. I do not really understand the marketing hype around speed & latency ' special better RAM'.  It seems much more orientated towards enriching the manufacturers/marketers than any tangible benefit unless you are running an automated derivatives trading system.

And no I dont play games. I havent since Lemmings. And yes I remember having to edit Config.sys and Autoexec.bat files to get unwanted drivers out of the OS to shoehorn the game into 640kb of maximum memory.

But back to my pile of dead electronics.

1. The cooler is no longer stock - now a 'be quiet 'Dark Rock.
2. I do not want to yank the CPU. It worked fine on one stick of the original 8Gb GSkill RAM.
3. Maybe the RAM is too rich. I'll go and get some bargain basement cheapo DDR3 RAM.
4. I cannot see GSkill putting bad/dead RAM into the marketplace; it'd ruin their reputation.
5. But I cannot explain why current GSkill Ares RAM is on their compatible list but doesn't POST.

Onwards

ASRock_TSD View Drop Down
ASRock_Official
ASRock_Official

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ASRock_TSD Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Jun 2015 at 7:41pm

Greetings, this is ASRock Technical Supports Department.

The Debug code 55 is related to memory, we provide some suggestions to you for try:
1. Due to the memory controller is located in CPU, please reinstall the CPU and check whether there's any bent or broken pins in CPU socket.
2. Please reinstall each memory to each memory slot to verify. 
3. If possible, please use another CPU and memory to verify.

If any, please feel free to let us know.

Kindest regards,
ASRock TSD  
parsec View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote parsec Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Jun 2015 at 1:35am
Originally posted by mydogmuppet mydogmuppet wrote:

Thanks.

RAM is RAM. I do not really understand the marketing hype around speed & latency ' special better RAM'.  It seems much more orientated towards enriching the manufacturers/marketers than any tangible benefit unless you are running an automated derivatives trading system.

And no I dont play games. I havent since Lemmings. And yes I remember having to edit Config.sys and Autoexec.bat files to get unwanted drivers out of the OS to shoehorn the game into 640kb of maximum memory.

But back to my pile of dead electronics.

1. The cooler is no longer stock - now a 'be quiet 'Dark Rock.
2. I do not want to yank the CPU. It worked fine on one stick of the original 8Gb GSkill RAM.
3. Maybe the RAM is too rich. I'll go and get some bargain basement cheapo DDR3 RAM.
4. I cannot see GSkill putting bad/dead RAM into the marketplace; it'd ruin their reputation.
5. But I cannot explain why current GSkill Ares RAM is on their compatible list but doesn't POST.

Onwards

Sorry to say, but RAM is RAM is not that simple. It was that way more so with DDR2 memory, but not with DDR3 memory.

The memory controller in a PC system, in this case it is part of the CPU, has specific specs about the memory chip types and configuration it will work with. That is the main thing that determines memory compatibility. For example, these are the memory specs for your CPU:

Do we try to match these specs when we buy memory? No, in most cases you can't find this information from the memory manufactures. No chance it is on the package, you'd need to find the datasheets on the Internet. So we have memory compatibility lists.

Notice there is only one memory chip type and configuration for 8GB DIMMs. That is a limiting factor for anyone wanting to use 8GB DIMMs.

I know you are frustrated with your build, but don't let your problem make you dislike your hardware. I have a Z97 Extreme6 board, and it may be the best board I've ever had. In many ways it is my favorite board.

Memory slots 2 and 4 are the recommended slots to use when using two DIMMs.

The G.SKILL GBXL model memory you have should have worked, it is possible to get a bad DIMM from the factory.

I suggest you try using the Memory Support List for your board for trying other memory models. Always clear the CMOS/BIOS when you change DIMMs and use default, Auto settings for the first start up with the memory. Don't use the XMP setting on the first start.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mydogmuppet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Jun 2015 at 10:12pm
I may be moaning and bitching about my Z97 Extreme 6 coming out of the box with a version on the Bios burned into the EPROMs from before the Biblical Flood.

But.....

I can't fault the ASRock Customer Service.

Whining this Friday gone to ASRock.... long time after the last mail collection.
In this mornings post ( Monday!) two chips with P2.30 on them.
I live in the UK.
ASRock are in Nimegen, Holland.

Credit where credit is due.
Xaltar View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Xaltar Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Jun 2015 at 10:27pm
Awesome to hear. I hope it sorts your problem Big smile

I have seen Asrock products around for years but it was only really this year that I have started using them and I have to admit I was pleasantly surprised at the features and quality of my board. I had always considered Asrock as a budget oriented manufacturer but they really have come a long way. The advent of these forums and trying to establish a community around their products says a lot about them in my opinion.

Edited by Xaltar - 08 Jun 2015 at 10:32pm

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mydogmuppet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Jun 2015 at 10:35pm
I take the points you make Parsec but at the end of the day its up to the vendors to make sure that I don't end up in the situation I'm now in. 

There are legions of technology manufacturers who've gone out of business because they failed to address ergonomics\ease of use issues. The spectre of having to contemplate £800+ of semi-redundant parts does not make me smile.

I can cope with my own inadequacies and failings as an apprentice hardware engineer but what I can't accept is buying obsolescence (you fix it yourself) out of the box.  Surely the correct way is to highlight the areas of difficulty not to pretend they do not exist ?

So the GSKill RAM that wasn't on the QVL worked ( well almost ) and the GSKill RAM on the QVL didn't POST diddly squat. CMOS button pushed regularly...power cable out. Dr Debug said 55.

It may be faulty RAM...it may be a dodgy MB...but I very much doubt it. Its much more likely to be ME - but how will I ever know ...if my Bios is ancient and not fit for purpose before it's even unwrapped ?  

Would anyone anywhere really be buying USB 3 or 3.1 kit... if it wasn't backwardly compatible ?

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mydogmuppet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Jun 2015 at 4:55am
Grrrrrr.

Bios Chipset P2.30 now installed.

RAM is , QVL certified,  GSkill Ares  F3-1866C10D-16GAB

8Gb in Slot A2 we get POST.
Both RAM sticks work in slot A2 to give UEFI POST.

But - Dual Channel no go - 8 Gb in Slot B2 & 8 Gb in Slot A2 = NO POST.
Dr Debug 55.

Note - I had exactly the same problem with GSkill F3-12800CL10D-16GBXL that I RMA'd 

Therefore it seems it is not a GSkill RAM issue but an interoperability issue.

Royally screwed.
ASRock_TSD View Drop Down
ASRock_Official
ASRock_Official

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ASRock_TSD Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Jun 2015 at 9:43pm
Greetings,

Due to the memory controller is located in CPU, please reinstall the CPU and check whether there's any bent or broken pins in CPU socket.

If possible, please use another CPU and memory to verify.

Kindest regards,
ASRock TSD  
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic