ASRock.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Technical Support > AMD Motherboards
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search Search  Events   Register Register  Login Login

960GM VGS3 FX Dual Channel Issue

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Message Reverse Sort Order
laheyandbobandy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote laheyandbobandy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: 960GM VGS3 FX Dual Channel Issue
    Posted: 30 Mar 2016 at 10:56am
These default to 1333, as you know.

1. When at 1333 were they running dual channel?

No, they won't at 1333 nor 1866.

2. Is this system just put together? ie: has the processor/MB combo, as it is now, ran in dual channel previously?

I have had the rig about a year and a half. I just recently purchased the ram. Previously I was running 1x4GB stick. I have no idea if it ran in dual previous to me owning the system.

. and

3. Did you remember to set the Command Rate to 2(T) ?

Yes.

wardog View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wardog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Mar 2016 at 7:15pm
. and

3. Did you remember to set the Command Rate to 2(T) ?
wardog View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wardog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Mar 2016 at 7:13pm
These default to 1333, as you know.

1. When at 1333 were they running dual channel?

2. Is this system just put together? ie: has the processor/MB combo, as it is now, ran in dual channel previously?

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote laheyandbobandy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Mar 2016 at 1:47pm
Went into the BIOS and set them at the 9-10-9-28. They are working fine but still in single channel. images below:

http://i.imgur.com/Klx2Rnh.png

http://i.imgur.com/peIGwdo.png

I also have another mobo on the way and a set of PNY ram. I will test the other ram in my current mobo and then test both sets in the new mobo. We will see if the memory slot is the issue.

By the way, thank you all for your help. You have been very patient with me.

Edited by laheyandbobandy - 28 Mar 2016 at 1:51pm
parsec View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote parsec Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Mar 2016 at 11:50pm
Originally posted by laheyandbobandy laheyandbobandy wrote:

IMO, until you verify that the B1 slot is working or not, nothing else matters.

How do I verify this? I asked the manufacturer about running one stick in either slot and they ignored the question. Do I need to just find some approved RAM and run it?

The friend that you bought the board from apparently used it for a while. What memory did he use with this board? He may still have that memory.

It shouldn't be that difficult to find some memory that works with this board. For example, this G.SKILL memory from your board's memory support list should be easy to find:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820231193

That one memory slot that seems to refuse to work bothers me. If a single DIMM works in the A1 slot, there is no reason why it shouldn't work in the B1 slot. The B1 slot is 0 for 2 for models of memory that work fine in the A1 slot. Something is just not right about that.
wardog View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wardog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Mar 2016 at 9:00pm
Your sticks, as pictured, are running wildly out of their rated XMP specs.

Do you know how to set their timings, command rate, andvoltage manually in the BIOS? If so, set them to the 1866 numbers represented in the third column from the right as displayed the in pic http://i.imgur.com/ZMMRXEz.png

Should they fail at 1866 set them to the 1600 column titled JEDEC #6.

Please report back the results.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote laheyandbobandy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Mar 2016 at 1:46pm

How do I verify this? I asked the manufacturer about running one stick in either slot and they ignored the question. Do I need to just find some approved RAM and run it?
parsec View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote parsec Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Mar 2016 at 11:42am

I ran memtest on each individual stick. Both sticks passed. I have not run them both together. I will do that soon.

My system specs: FX- 6300. R9 380, EVGA 500 Watt, Windows 10 64 bit.

The FX-6300 is rated to work with up to 1866 memory, so no OC of the memory.

The exact kit is F3-14900 SL9D-8GBXL DDR3 1866 CL9-10-9-28 (1.50 v). Using the link parsec provided does not show my mobo in the QVL. Explain what this means. Does it mean that the memory and the mobo have not been tested or does it mean that they are not compatible? Keep in mind that both sticks are fully recognized in BIOS and they both work fine as a single stick in the system. I don't have any kind of errors or BSODs when running an individual stick.

Good question, you can only get a definitive answer from G.SKILL. Obviously some memory models will be incompatible. Has G.SKILL tested every mother board in existence with that memory? Of course not.

We could ask, define compatibility. If you check the compatibility list of some ASRock boards, you'll find that very high speed memory models will only work with one DIMM per channel. Or the memory will only work with one DIMM in single channel mode.

The only thing I can say about the memory you have is, out of all the mobo manufactures included in the QVL, only three out of nine include any AM3+ boards in the compatibility list, and none are 960 chipset boards.

By default the BIOS wants to run the stick at 1333. I have tried that and also tried manually changing it to 1866 in the BIOS. The sticks run fine individually at 1866.

I have used this mobo before with another brand. 1X4gb of SuperTalent 1333. This stick is like the others. The OS will only load in the A1 slot and not in the B1 slot.

I did not purchase the board new. I got it as part of a full system purchase from a friend.

Unfortunately, we have two added variables/unknowns here: The board and memory was purchased used. You said you've never been able to get memory recognized in the B1 slot, with two different types of memory.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote laheyandbobandy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Mar 2016 at 8:44am
The first stick is numbered 13452100963927

CPU-Z Mem

http://i.imgur.com/SoCYsve.png

CPU-Z Spd

http://i.imgur.com/4f06bid.png

Second stick is numbered 13452100963928

CPU-Z Mem

http://i.imgur.com/ViJg5AB.png

CPU-Z Spd

http://i.imgur.com/ZMMRXEz.png
wardog View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wardog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Mar 2016 at 4:44am
Please install CPU-Z and post in screenshots of the SPD and MEMORY tabs for each stick while installed individually.

Your Problem Description above seems to indicate you may have two mis-matched sticks of memory.

Your provided screenshots will allow me to determine a possible mis-matched.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic