ASRock.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Technical Support > AMD Motherboards
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search Search  Events   Register Register  Login Login

960GM VGS3 FX Dual Channel Issue

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote laheyandbobandy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: 960GM VGS3 FX Dual Channel Issue
    Posted: 23 Mar 2016 at 9:22am
I recently purchased 2X4GB Ripjaws X 1866 CL9-10-9-28. I purchased them used from a message board.

My motherboard will not accept them in dual-channel. The BIOS  identifies both sticks but will only allocate 4GB for use. CPU-Z also shows that they are in single-channel. They appear to be from the same kit as the stick numbers are sequential. ASRock's website does not have them listed as approved on their list. Although, the list looks fairly old and may not have been updated. Is this most likely the issue?

I originally had bios 1.2 and updated to 1.4. This did nothing for the problem.
This mobo only has 2 memory slots which are A1 and B1. I tried switching the slots and that did nothing. As a side note, if I am using a single stick of ram I can only use the A1 memory slot. If I try to use B1 the OS will not boot. Is this specific to this board or could the B1 memory slot be bad. I could not find any info in the mobo manual that said anything about how their memory slots work.

Also tried to reset CMOS and that didn't help. Manually changing frequency and timings in mobo did not work.

Any advice?

Thank you.
Xaltar View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Xaltar Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Mar 2016 at 2:04pm
I would run memtest on each stick individually then both together to rule out bad memory. By the symptoms it may simply be a case of the RAM not being supported by the board. You can try getting in touch with Tech Support directly but I would test the RAM with memtest first.
wardog View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wardog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Mar 2016 at 11:43am
OP, what is the 8GB(2x4GB) Kit number of these sticks?

In the meantime remain flashed to 1.40 as it is the latest and follow Xaltars advice of testing the sticks individually.
parsec View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote parsec Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Mar 2016 at 12:20pm
What processor are you using? Only some processors are compatible with 1866 and 1600 speed memory when used in this board.

What speed is the memory running at by default?

Have you ever used this board before with different memory? Is the board new?

Are either of these the memory model you have: http://gskill.com/en/finder?cat=31&prop_3=1866MHz&prop_4=0&prop_1=0&series=264&prop_14=DDR3&prop_2=8GB+%284GBx2%29&prop_6=Dual+Channel+kit

If so, check the QVL list provided by G.SKILL. I don't see any 960 chipset boards listed.
laheyandbobandy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote laheyandbobandy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Mar 2016 at 3:25am
I ran memtest on each individual stick. Both sticks passed. I have not run them both together. I will do that soon.

My system specs: FX- 6300. R9 380, EVGA 500 Watt, Windows 10 64 bit.

The exact kit is F3-14900 SL9D-8GBXL DDR3 1866 CL9-10-9-28 (1.50 v). Using the link parsec provided does not show my mobo in the QVL. Explain what this means. Does it mean that the memory and the mobo have not been tested or does it mean that they are not compatible? Keep in mind that both sticks are fully recognized in BIOS and they both work fine as a single stick in the system. I don't have any kind of errors or BSODs when running an individual stick.

By default the BIOS wants to run the stick at 1333. I have tried that and also tried manually changing it to 1866 in the BIOS. The sticks run fine individually at 1866.

I have used this mobo before with another brand. 1X4gb of SuperTalent 1333. This stick is like the others. The OS will only load in the A1 slot and not in the B1 slot.

I did not purchase the board new. I got it as part of a full system purchase from a friend.

I emailed ASRock direclty. Here is my message and below will be there response.

My Message:

»Problem Description

I cannot get the mobo into dual-channel for RAM. The RAM is G. Skill Ripjaws X (F3-14900CL9D-8GBXL DDR3 1866 CL9-10-9-28, made in 2013) Bios recognizes that there are two sticks in the slots but it won't get out of single-channel. CPU-Z also verifies that the set is in single-channel.

My question involves the memory slots. This mobo has a total of 2 slots which are labeled A1 and B1. If I use one stick of ram in A1 and nothing in B1 the OS will boot. If I use nothing in A1 and one stick in B1 the OS will NOT boot. When I put a stick in both A1 and B1 the OS will boot (but will only have 4GB for use due to not being able to use dual-channel). The manual for the mobo says nothing about the proper slot for one ram stick. So...should the mobo be capable of booting from either slot? Basically, is one of my slots dead and this is why I can't use dual-channel? (Even though my system recognizes 8 gb)

Here is ASRocks response:

Hi XXXXX,

Thank you for contacting ASRock support. How long you having the board?

Please turn the power off, clear the CMOS.

Load the BIOS setting default.

Install 2 x memory on A1 and B1 or A2 and B2.

Enter BIOS, Main to check whether shown Dual Channel memory mode.

If not, it could be either mainboard, memory and/ or CPU causing the issue.

Note: The CPU has memory controller built in and if its malfunctioned that possible shown single channel mode.
             Also possible memory caused the similar issue.

TO CLEAR CMOS

·         Disconnect the two power supplies sources from the main board. (24 Pins and 4 or 8 Pins) cables.

·         Pull the Battery out from its battery Socket.

·         Short the 2 pins  CLRCMOS  jumper from position 1~2 to 2~3 for about 5 minutes and then short back to 1-2 position

·         Finally reverse all steps above.

Thank you

ASRock America Support Team

Edited by laheyandbobandy - 25 Mar 2016 at 3:41am
wardog View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wardog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Mar 2016 at 4:44am
Please install CPU-Z and post in screenshots of the SPD and MEMORY tabs for each stick while installed individually.

Your Problem Description above seems to indicate you may have two mis-matched sticks of memory.

Your provided screenshots will allow me to determine a possible mis-matched.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote laheyandbobandy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Mar 2016 at 8:44am
The first stick is numbered 13452100963927

CPU-Z Mem

http://i.imgur.com/SoCYsve.png

CPU-Z Spd

http://i.imgur.com/4f06bid.png

Second stick is numbered 13452100963928

CPU-Z Mem

http://i.imgur.com/ViJg5AB.png

CPU-Z Spd

http://i.imgur.com/ZMMRXEz.png
parsec View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote parsec Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Mar 2016 at 11:42am
Originally posted by laheyandbobandy laheyandbobandy wrote:

I ran memtest on each individual stick. Both sticks passed. I have not run them both together. I will do that soon.

My system specs: FX- 6300. R9 380, EVGA 500 Watt, Windows 10 64 bit.

The FX-6300 is rated to work with up to 1866 memory, so no OC of the memory.

The exact kit is F3-14900 SL9D-8GBXL DDR3 1866 CL9-10-9-28 (1.50 v). Using the link parsec provided does not show my mobo in the QVL. Explain what this means. Does it mean that the memory and the mobo have not been tested or does it mean that they are not compatible? Keep in mind that both sticks are fully recognized in BIOS and they both work fine as a single stick in the system. I don't have any kind of errors or BSODs when running an individual stick.

Good question, you can only get a definitive answer from G.SKILL. Obviously some memory models will be incompatible. Has G.SKILL tested every mother board in existence with that memory? Of course not.

We could ask, define compatibility. If you check the compatibility list of some ASRock boards, you'll find that very high speed memory models will only work with one DIMM per channel. Or the memory will only work with one DIMM in single channel mode.

The only thing I can say about the memory you have is, out of all the mobo manufactures included in the QVL, only three out of nine include any AM3+ boards in the compatibility list, and none are 960 chipset boards.

By default the BIOS wants to run the stick at 1333. I have tried that and also tried manually changing it to 1866 in the BIOS. The sticks run fine individually at 1866.

I have used this mobo before with another brand. 1X4gb of SuperTalent 1333. This stick is like the others. The OS will only load in the A1 slot and not in the B1 slot.

I did not purchase the board new. I got it as part of a full system purchase from a friend.

Unfortunately, we have two added variables/unknowns here: The board and memory was purchased used. You said you've never been able to get memory recognized in the B1 slot, with two different types of memory.

IMO, until you verify that the B1 slot is working or not, nothing else matters.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote laheyandbobandy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Mar 2016 at 1:46pm

IMO, until you verify that the B1 slot is working or not, nothing else matters.

How do I verify this? I asked the manufacturer about running one stick in either slot and they ignored the question. Do I need to just find some approved RAM and run it?
wardog View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wardog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Mar 2016 at 9:00pm
Your sticks, as pictured, are running wildly out of their rated XMP specs.

Do you know how to set their timings, command rate, andvoltage manually in the BIOS? If so, set them to the 1866 numbers represented in the third column from the right as displayed the in pic http://i.imgur.com/ZMMRXEz.png

Should they fail at 1866 set them to the 1600 column titled JEDEC #6.

Please report back the results.

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic