ASRock.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Technical Support > Intel Motherboards
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - BIOS Bug: CD/DVD doesn't boot in certain setups
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search Search  Events   Register Register  Login Login

BIOS Bug: CD/DVD doesn't boot in certain setups

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nuc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: BIOS Bug: CD/DVD doesn't boot in certain setups
    Posted: 27 Mar 2016 at 9:01am
Dear Forum members!

I have been a happy user of the ASRock P55 Deluxe3 for years now. Unfortunately I happened to come across a nasty bug:
I have noticed that my bootable CD/DVDs won't work in certain cable configurations, when using two HDDs.  For instance if I setup my drives like this:

SATA2_1 => HDD1
SATA2_2 => HDD2
SATA2_3 => DVD-Drive
or
SATA2_1 => HDD2
SATA2_2 => HDD1
SATA2_3 => DVD-Drive
or
SATA2_4 => HDD1
SATA2_5 => HDD2
SATA2_6 => DVD-Drive

booting the DVD will only give me a grey blinking cursor.

Setups like those work and let the drive boot:
SATA2_1 => HDD1
SATA2_2 => DVD-Drive
or
SATA2_1 => HDD2
SATA2_2 => DVD-Drive
or
SATA2_1 => DVD-Drive
SATA2_2 => HDD1
SATA2_3 => HDD2
or
SATA2_1 => HDD1
SATA2_2 => DVD-Drive
SATA2_3 => HDD2

So it only works when I am using either only one HDD, if I am placing the DVD-Drive into the middle, or if I place it first. It will not work when placed at the end with two HDDs. Did not try with more HDDs...

I think this looks like a definitive BIOS bug and I hope we can resolve it - it *should* be pretty easy to reproduce if you still have the mobo :) My next mobo shall be from ASRock again :P

Thanks in advance! Smile

Best regards,
nuc

Edited by nuc - 29 Mar 2016 at 8:24pm
parsec View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote parsec Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Mar 2016 at 1:33pm
I would think if your situation was being caused by a BIOS problem, it would have been noticed by now by other owners, and ASRock would be aware of it. That is, given the age of this board. But I suppose it could be a BIOS problem.

Questions for you, and understand that I am going by the manual for your board regarding the options and settings in the BIOS. The manual may not reflect the BIOS options you currently have, due to BIOS updates that were not documented in the manual.

Are your HDDs and DVD drive all SATA devices, not IDE drives with an IDE to SATA adapter?

Are you using any true IDE drives, that use the 40 pin IDE ribbon cable?

What BIOS version are you using now?

When you first noticed this problem, did you try clearing the CMOS/BIOS? When you move the drives between different SATA ports, did you clear the CMOS/BIOS after moving the drives?

Are you confident that the SATA data and power cables are all working correctly?

In the Storage Configuration screen in the BIOS, what is the SATAII Operation Mode option set to?

If SATAII Operation Mode set to IDE, what are the SATAII 1,2,3,4 Configuration and SATAII 5,6 Configuration options set to?

Does the BIOS have an IDE Device Configuration option available for any of your drives?

The Exit screen has several options such as, Load Performance Setup Default (IDE/SATA), and Load Performance Setup AHCI Mode. Have you used those options at any time?

When you boot from the DVD drive, do you hear it spin up to read the disk, but then only get the blinking cursor on the monitor?
nuc View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nuc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Mar 2016 at 8:09pm
Hi parsec!
First of all thanks for your interest and your fast and versatile response! :)
Originally posted by parsec parsec wrote:

Are your HDDs and DVD drive all SATA devices, not IDE drives with an IDE to SATA adapter?

It's SATA only, connected to the native Intel SATA2 ports.

Are you using any true IDE drives, that use the 40 pin IDE ribbon cable?

nope

What BIOS version are you using now?

The latest BIOS v1.70

When you first noticed this problem, did you try clearing the CMOS/BIOS? When you move the drives between different SATA ports, did you clear the CMOS/BIOS after moving the drives?

I tried doing so now - it didn't make any difference.

Are you confident that the SATA data and power cables are all working correctly?

Yes, everything is working correctly apart from that.

In the Storage Configuration screen in the BIOS, what is the SATAII Operation Mode option set to?

If SATAII Operation Mode set to IDE, what are the SATAII 1,2,3,4 Configuration and SATAII 5,6 Configuration options set to?

Big thanks for suggesting this! My standard setting is AHCI Mode, so I tried out IDE Mode and *surprise* suddenly booting up from the DVD-Drive works fine! Whenever I set it back to AHCI any optical media refuses to boot (I tried disabling some AHCI specific options too, but it didnt help).

So it seems that this bug is caused by the Intel AHCI module inside the BIOS ROM. Any suggestions from your side?

Thank you so much :)

Edited by nuc - 29 Mar 2016 at 8:22pm
nuc View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nuc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Apr 2016 at 7:57pm
Any ideas?
parsec View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote parsec Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Apr 2016 at 10:00am
I'm confused now, in the post above you now say that you cannot boot from any optical media/drive (??) after changing the SATA mode, but in your first post you could boot from the optical drive if it was first or second in the SATA port order.

So you now cannot boot from any optical drive, which you could do so before changing the SATA mode?

One thing I did not mention, which is also stated in your board's manual, is it is not recommended to change between any of the SATA modes once the OS has been installed. Such as, changing from AHCI to IDE mode. That is due to the way Windows deals with storage drivers. IDE, AHCI, and RAID modes all use different drivers, although the Intel SATA AHCI and RAID drivers use the same installation package.

Changing the SATA mode from AHCI to IDE or vice versa just in the BIOS does not affect the OS installation. When you boot the OS after changing the SATA mode, that is when you can have problems. That seems to be the case now?

I forgot to ask this previously, but what is the problem with connecting the DVD drive in a specific order or SATA port that works for you, rather than another order that does not work? I can't find anything in the manual that accounts for the apparent ordering, but I don't have your board and BIOS to experiment with myself.

I wonder if the ordering of the drives that you apparently require is related to this statement in the manual:

If you select [IDE] mode, the options ?�SATAII 1,2,3,4 Configuration??and SATAII 5,6 Configuration??will appear.

This seems to indicate a grouping of the SATA II ports into two groups, which can be configured in some way independently.

The IDE Configuration section of the manual is confusing me. Do those options appear when the SATA mode is set to IDE? Do those options apply to the SATA ports, or just the single IDE connector, that may be connected to two drives?

Note in the IDE configuration options, the Type of drive ([CD/DVD], [ARMD], [Auto], etc) is an option that needs to be selected. I'm wondering if the selection of the drive Type in IDE mode somehow affects the SATA mode.

I asked about some options in the Exit screen, the Load Performance Setup Default (IDE/SATA), and Load Performance Setup AHCI Mode. But no comment about those from you. Any idea what they even do?

While this is not always recommended, did you try the Marvell SATA ports for the optical drives?

Not having your board and its BIOS to work with is a significant limitation for me in attempting to diagnose your situation.

I'm not sure what your current situation is, but is seems you've gone from the optical drive working in some configurations to not working at all. Please clarify this for us...
nuc View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nuc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Apr 2016 at 10:44am
No. When I set my SATA configuration to AHCI mode (my default config), then I can apparently only boot from the DVD drive when it's connencted in a special order.
When I set it to IDE, any order works.
I normally use Load Performance Setup AHCI Mode - it simply loads AHCI mode plus some additional unrelated options elsewhere (CPU behaviour, HPET-table etc).
No I'd rather not connect anything to the Marvell port since it is unfortunately utter crap.

Quote but what is the problem with connecting the DVD drive in a specific order or SATA port that works for you, rather than another order that does not work?

Well.. the problem is unpredictible behaviour. In the beginning I didn't even know what was going on; I thought it's an issue with my DVD image. I burned a few disks again but nothing worked. I had no idea what was the cause, until I played around with the SATA cable order.
Now imagine I reorder the drives so that booting from CDROM will work.. what else will happen? Will the HDD show buggy behaviour instead? I have no idea, so I want to have sorted out, what this bug is and where it comes from.

Quote One thing I did not mention, which is also stated in your board's manual, is it is not recommended to change between any of the SATA modes once the OS has been installed. Such as, changing from AHCI to IDE mode. That is due to the way Windows deals with storage drivers. IDE, AHCI, and RAID modes all use different drivers, although the Intel SATA AHCI and RAID drivers use the same installation package.

Changing the SATA mode from AHCI to IDE or vice versa just in the BIOS does not affect the OS installation.

I am fully aware of this.

Edited by nuc - 02 Apr 2016 at 10:46am
clubfoot View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote clubfoot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Apr 2016 at 9:05am
What you may be encountering is a DVD drive that does not adhere strictly to SATA spec ,...from what you describe in IDE mode. Have you tried a different DVD drive?
nuc View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nuc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Apr 2016 at 9:15am
Yes I've tried a Bluray Drive from a different company also -- same results.
clubfoot View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote clubfoot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Apr 2016 at 9:31am
Then your stuck with one of your working options,...or attach it to the Marvell controller.
parsec View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote parsec Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Apr 2016 at 10:00am
I'm at a loss about what to tell you. I've never had a situation like this with optical drives.

What SATA driver are you using for the Intel SATA controller? That will be shown in Device Manager, either under IDE ATA/ATAPI controllers, or Storage Controllers.

I'm wondering if the Intel AHCI driver would improve the situation.

The P55 chipset is from the first series of single chipset/CPU "PCH" platforms released by Intel, what we would now call the 5 series chipsets.

I was looking through the Intel datasheet for the 5 series chipset, and found some interesting information, although how that directly translates to your situation or finding a fix for it is not clear. The information is really is more of an explanation about how it operates, which may be related to your results.

For example, three pages out of the datasheet:

Link to the full datasheet: http://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/chipsets/5-chipset-3400-chipset-datasheet.html

After reading some of this, you may understand why the ordering might make a difference. This is a good example of what happens when multiple storage protocols (SATA and IDE) are combined together into one logical interface as the user sees it. Things are not as separate and independent of each other as we would assume they would be. It seems to me after going over just what I posted above, there must be more to configuring and using the SATA and IDE interfaces on your board and BIOS than I am aware of. I also don't see any reason for the idea there will be other unpredictable results when using standard HDDs in any order.

What are the two models of optical drives you are using?

We are currently in a similar situation with SATA and NVMe, which is also confusing.

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic