ASRock.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Technical Support > Intel Motherboards
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search Search  Events   Register Register  Login Login

Installing Windows 7 pro

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bb10789 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Installing Windows 7 pro
    Posted: 28 Mar 2016 at 10:47am
Hi, I am using a ASROCK z170 Pro 4S motherboard, I am trying to install Windows 7 pro on my build with i5 6600k. But when I install the windows 7 with a usb, it says "A required CD/DVD drive device drive is missing."  I am using usb 2.0 ports and tried everything online, have someone experienced this before? thanks
parsec View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote parsec Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Mar 2016 at 11:08am
Are you using a PCIe SSD as the OS drive, and trying to install in UEFI mode?

Since you've provided zero detail about the OS drive, or the settings in the Storage Configuration screen (AHCI or RAID), not much to say except ask more questions.
bb10789 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bb10789 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Mar 2016 at 12:07pm
No, the flash drive is the installation media, which I used to boot from bios(UFEI). I am trying to install windows on my HDD, it is in ACHI mode. 
aerDNA View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote aerDNA Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Mar 2016 at 8:57pm
You can't install Win7 from usb on Skylake chipsets due to dropped ehci support. Asrock provides a workaround - you need to patch the iso with this:
ftp://europe.asrock.com/Utility/UsbPatcher/Win7UsbPatcher(v2.0.9).zip
bb10789 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bb10789 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Mar 2016 at 10:17pm
Hi yea I tried using that. I did that with an installation flash drive and tried to use that software to make another flash drive. It says error every time, I only have an ISO file, so I have to start from a flash drive.
aerDNA View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote aerDNA Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Mar 2016 at 10:43pm
I'd like to help but I can't test the utility right now and I couldn't reproduce the Win setup problem anyway as I'm on H97 chipset. Have you tried mounting the ISO and using it as the source?
clubfoot View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote clubfoot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Mar 2016 at 5:10am
Page 40 of your manual has all the instructions for installing Windows7 on your motherboard. If you have a CD drive it's a no brainer. If you don't have a CD drive page 41 has the instructions to patch the installation.

3.4 Enabling USB Ports for Windows® 7 Installation
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic