ASRock.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Technical Support > Intel Motherboards
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search Search  Events   Register Register  Login Login

Black screen on UEFI

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kostenaci Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Black screen on UEFI
    Posted: 31 Mar 2016 at 1:11am
Good evening (Amsterdam-time)!

I recently purchased a Extreme 4 Z170 motherboard which is working fine, mostly.

Even with all the correct updates via the App 'shop' I am unable to get into UEFI bios.
I have tried via the ASRock app - restart on UEFI and via the regular way (mash keys on boot).

What does occur?

A complete blackscreen with the MB code A6 (A0-A6 are sata error apperently).

I have to turn the computer off reset it and get back into windows but I have no clue how to fix this.

Does anyone have a clue and/or do I need to provide more detailed information?

Kind regards

Bastiaan

parsec View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote parsec Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Mar 2016 at 1:53am
The Dr Debug/POST code (MB code) of A6 (or other A0 - A6 code) is normally displayed when the board is in the UEFI user interface. The last part of POST checks the SATA drives, so one of those codes remains displayed until the POST process is complete, or really until the OS boot process has started.

Usually the POST/MB codes are displayed when the POST process fails at one particular stage or step, which means an error occurred during that step, whose code is then displayed to tell us what step failed. Since the A0 - A6 codes for the testing of the SATA drives is at the end of the all the POST tests, seeing one of those codes does not necessarily mean an error occurred.

When the PC starts, do you have a POST beep speaker connected to the board? If so, do you hear the single short beep which means POST completed successfully? Are all your SATA drives working when the PC boots?

The display of the A6 code makes me think your board is really in the UEFI user interface mode, or trying to be, but you aren't seeing it displayed for some reason.

What video source are you using, a video card or the Intel integrated graphics?

Are you using more than one monitor at the same time with that PC? The video source may select one video output as the main output when the UEFI UI is being displayed, which may not be the same video output when Windows is running.

Are you using a TV as a monitor?

How is the monitor connected to the video source? With a cable directly between the monitor and source, or are you using an adapter of some kind?

Do you have more than one cable connected to the video source, but the cable(s) are not connected to a monitor? Or do you have, for example, two cables connected to the video source, and both connected to the monitor?

Kostenaci View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kostenaci Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Mar 2016 at 3:02am
Thank you for the quick reponse, as for my setup:

Beep: I do not hear any beeps when i attempt UEFI
Sata: I only have 2 SSD's connected as sata devices
Video and monitor: aGTX 970, this is connected via HDMI and displayport to one gsync monitor : PG279Q (165 hZ 2560 x 1440) so two cables, one monitor

Might this 'advanced' monitor be an issue for the UEFI maybe because of the variable framerates?

I do have a regular 60 hz full HD monitor though that i can test with.

parsec View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote parsec Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Mar 2016 at 1:00pm
Your advanced monitor is most likely the problem. Or at least that is easy to test.

You can run the monitor with only one cable connected, right? Displayport usually has precedence over HDMI, so disconnect the HDMI cable first.

Then again, you no doubt know more about your monitor than I do, so try whichever single cable you think will work.

Please let us know if this makes a difference, and "fixes" your issue. I know it is really a work around, but the basic knowledge that your monitor and video input configuration will not allow the UEFI UI to be displayed is important for us to know if others have this problem.

It might also cause ASRock to look into this and see if they can do anything about it. The UEFI is displayed at 1080P by default, and can only be set to a lower resolution.
Kostenaci View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kostenaci Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Apr 2016 at 12:57am
I have just tested the following:

Display port : disconnected
HDMI port: connected

Result: Same black screen

Display port: connected
HMDI port: disconnected

Result: working UEFI!

I guess the conclusion is that monitors with variable framerates (Gsync/freesync) can act weird with UEFI.

As you stated; displayport is dominant.

Easy fix though but thank you for pointing out the obvious!

Kind regards
parsec View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote parsec Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Apr 2016 at 1:31am
Great, but if that did not work I would not know what to do next. Confused

Most things are obvious after we learn what is happening. I'm still not sure exactly what is happening in your case.

When I use a dual monitor configuration, one on Displayport, the other on HDMI, only one monitor is active when in the UEFI UI. The same is true when I use one on Displayport, and the other on DVI-D. In both cases only the monitor on Displayport is active when in the UEFI UI. This is using an Nvidia chip video card in both cases, two slightly different cards. Once Windows boots, both monitors are working. Not the same configuration as yours at all, only the use of two outputs at the same time.

Questions for you, when you use just the Displayport connection, what does the resolution and refresh rate become? Just trying to correlate what the cause might be.

The Gsync factor is another thing I wonder about, but your issue is the first we've had like this. I know those monitors are in use so I doubt that is the problem alone.
Kostenaci View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kostenaci Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Apr 2016 at 3:43am
Originally posted by parsec parsec wrote:

Great, but if that did not work I would not know what to do next. Confused

Most things are obvious after we learn what is happening. I'm still not sure exactly what is happening in your case.

When I use a dual monitor configuration, one on Displayport, the other on HDMI, only one monitor is active when in the UEFI UI. The same is true when I use one on Displayport, and the other on DVI-D. In both cases only the monitor on Displayport is active when in the UEFI UI. This is using an Nvidia chip video card in both cases, two slightly different cards. Once Windows boots, both monitors are working. Not the same configuration as yours at all, only the use of two outputs at the same time.

Questions for you, when you use just the Displayport connection, what does the resolution and refresh rate become? Just trying to correlate what the cause might be.

The Gsync factor is another thing I wonder about, but your issue is the first we've had like this. I know those monitors are in use so I doubt that is the problem alone.

It's standard is currently set to 165 hZ and 2560x1440. Earlier this week I figured the resolution or refreshrate could be an issue. So manually set the monitor to a more common setting (1920x1080 and set to 60 hZ) and then started the 'restart to UEFI' app. It instantly changed the resolution back to 2560x1440 and rebooted (blackscreen with A6 code).

Sirphear View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sirphear Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Jun 2020 at 4:38am
I'm having a similar issue but changing cords hasn't worked.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic