ASRock.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Technical Support > AMD Motherboards
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search Search  Events   Register Register  Login Login

A320M HDV R4.0 and 5600x

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote enphynity Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: A320M HDV R4.0 and 5600x
    Posted: 14 Apr 2022 at 10:19am
I have the A320M HDV R4.0 motherboard paired with the R5 5600x and 2x16gb Corsair Vengeance LPX ram.

After first installing the new CPU my PC would shut down when playing CPU intensive games. I repasted and tried numerous fixes found on other websites but was still getting the shut downs under heavy CPU load.

I eventually tested the RAM and came to find that removing one of the RAM sticks got rid of the crashes (albeit with the RAM only running at 2133mhz instead of 3200mhz). Turning on XMP would still cause crashes as would manually setting the RAM speed to 3200mhz (currently running at 2933mhz without issue). I tested both RAM sticks and the system runs fine with either one but not with both.

Is there some issue with this new BIOS and running RAM in dual channel mode? What voltage should I run the ram at for optimal stability?

Compatibility mode is currently on (was already on).
Xaltar View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Xaltar Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Apr 2022 at 2:37pm
I suspect the 5600x is pushing the limits of that poor A320m board, it's VRMs are
likely getting pretty hot and the extra power needed to support 2 higher capacity
RAM modules is pushing it a bit too far.

I would try installing both modules then manually setting the voltage to 1.2v and
seeing how high you can push the frequency manually, even 2133 in dual channel will
be faster than 2933 in single channel. I suspect you should be able to manage
2666.See if that still causes crashing. If so, try positioning a fan to blow
onto the board around the VRM area and see if that helps.

I had a similar issue with an FM2+ setup some time back, I ended up buying some
self adhesive heatsinks (very small ones) and sticking them to the VRMs. That
helped tremendously. On some boards though this may not be possible, the components
can often be too cramped. The A320 chipset was not really designed for current
gen mid range CPUs, they pull a little more current than the severely limited
VRM on most boards that use it can support.

You can also try manually lowering the CPU voltage and underclocking a little.
You will get better performance slightly underclocked and undervolted (-0.05v to
-0.2v) than if you are hitting thermal limits and throttling anyway.

It's likely all thermally related.

Edited by Xaltar - 14 Apr 2022 at 2:39pm
voss749 View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote voss749 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Apr 2022 at 12:24am
What are you using for a PSU?
enphynity View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote enphynity Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Apr 2022 at 2:04am
Thanks for the great reply! Would you also suggest keeping CPB off as well? I keep seeing posts saying to turn off PBO but have yet to find that option in the 7.10 BIOS.

Do you know if there is onboard sensors for the VRMs that could be monitored with a hardware monitoring app?
enphynity View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote enphynity Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Apr 2022 at 2:36am
The PSU is a Corsair RM850x
enphynity View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote enphynity Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Apr 2022 at 6:18am
I looked in the BIOS (7.10) but I don't see a setting for altering the CPU voltage. Is there a different way to do it that I'm not seeing?
voss749 View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote voss749 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Apr 2022 at 7:22am
What fan do you have on the CPU and are you using decent thermal paste on it?
voss749 View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote voss749 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Apr 2022 at 7:23am
Also check your cpu speed and voltage
voss749 View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote voss749 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Apr 2022 at 7:26am
Limit the cpu boost clock speed to 4.5 ghz and reduce voltage to 1.2 its under oc tweaker screen.
enphynity View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote enphynity Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Apr 2022 at 1:09pm
Could you possibly share a screenshot of where I change the voltage as I don't see anything under 'OC Tweaker' that references that specifically.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic