ASRock.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Technical Support > AMD Motherboards
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search Search  Events   Register Register  Login Login

BIOS setting question

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Murf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: BIOS setting question
    Posted: 06 May 2022 at 9:29am
Motherboard: ASRock X570S PG RIPTIDE AM4 AMD X570 SATA 6Gb/s ATX
BIOS: American Megatrends Version P1.10
CPU: AMD Ryzen 5 5600X
RAM: G.Skill Trident Z NEO Series 16GB (2 x 8GB) 288-Pin SDRAM (PC4-28800) DDR4-3600 CL18-22-22-42 1.35V

I want to make sure that I am NOT overclocking anything via the BIOS settings.

In the BIOS, on the "OC Tweaker" screen, I believe I have everything set to the defaults.
The exception is I have the "Load XMP Setting" set to "Profile 1: DDR4-3600 18-22-22-42 1.35V". This is so I get the full speed out of my RAM.

Infintity Fabric Frequency and Dividers = Auto. Default I think.

The question I have is on the "Overclock Mode (Bus Speed)".
I have it set to "Auto" (the other option is "Manual"). I think "Auto" is the default.

With this set to Auto, does that mean it is always trying to do some sort of overclocking in the background? Surely not, but I don't know what that means.

Like I said, I don't want to do any overclocking.

Thoughts?

Thanks

Xaltar View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Xaltar Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 May 2022 at 2:36am
Auto will mean the system controls it within the specs laid out by AMD. It is not
an overclock.
Murf View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Murf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 May 2022 at 3:15am
Thanks for the info
Murf View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Murf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 May 2022 at 3:57am
The manual says this on the Overclock Mode (Bus Speed):

"

Overclock Mode(Bus Speed)
Select the overclock mode. Warning! When overclocking also the PCIe, PCI, SATA and USB busses will be overcloked which may cause instability or failure. Please install an operating system and the drivers required before overclocking, or else your HDD's may be undetectable. Overclocking is not supported if the monitor is connected via the onboard D-Bus/VGA connector.

"

Notice it says nothing on how to turn it off. So that is my confusion. Also, reason for my concern, it says it may cause instability and failure! I'm looking for stability and no failures of my hardware. "Auto" sounds like an OC to me and "Manual" like it has who knows what settings.

Thoughts on this?

Thanks
Xaltar View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Xaltar Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 May 2022 at 5:07pm
Auto is in essence disabled. Manual allows you to adjust settings (overclock).

Auto will not allow the system to run out of spec and is therefore safe
Murf View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Murf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 May 2022 at 8:33am
Ok. Thanks for the help.
kerberos_20 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote kerberos_20 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 May 2022 at 1:52pm
just a sidenote, not wanting to overclock anything but enabling XMP will overclock your RAM and cpu memory controller and infinity fabric (high speed interconnect)
which is okay as everybody does that and no cpu failures so far :P

for system bus speed, base clock is 100MHz, when you run it at auto, you may see running it at like 98MHz (use hwinfo to confirm), manualy you can change it to be running at 100.0Mhz which will give you back some lost CPU and PCI-e (GPU/m2 nvme) performance
Murf View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Murf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 May 2022 at 8:35am
Thanks!
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic