ASRock.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Technical Support > Intel Motherboards
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search Search  Events   Register Register  Login Login

H97 Fatal1ty Performance not posting

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nmbaldwin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: H97 Fatal1ty Performance not posting
    Posted: 08 Jun 2015 at 3:39am
Hello,

I have recently installed an H97 Fatal1ty Performance motherboard with an i5 4690 processor, XFX 550w PSU and Corsair Vengeance DDR3 1600 RAM. It worked fine for a day, but will now not post.

The Power Led lights, CPU fan spins, along with the PSU fan and one of the case fans, but there are no motherboard lights. There are no beeps and no video output.

I've stripped the system down to PSU, CPU and Motherboard, cleared CMOS, switched to BIOS 2 but none of these have made an difference. I have also tried an old PSU, but again, no post.

Can anyone suggest anything else I can try, or should I RMA the board?

Thanks

Nigel
Xaltar View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Xaltar Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Jun 2015 at 5:13am
Try powering on the system with no RAM installed and be sure you have the speaker connected so you can hear post beeps. If your system beeps then it is likely the RAM that is causing the problem, if not repeat without the CPU, if it beeps (unless Asrock does not have a CPU error beep) it will tell you if it is the CPU at fault. No beeps mean the board is likely dead after trying these 2 things.

Also remove the CPU and look for bent pins on the board, it is possible that the CPU was not making good contact with the pins and after a while of use this contact ceased causing the system to fail to post.

Edited by Xaltar - 08 Jun 2015 at 5:14am
parsec View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote parsec Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Jun 2015 at 12:02pm
Originally posted by nmbaldwin nmbaldwin wrote:

Hello,

I have recently installed an H97 Fatal1ty Performance motherboard with an i5 4690 processor, XFX 550w PSU and Corsair Vengeance DDR3 1600 RAM. It worked fine for a day, but will now not post.

The Power Led lights, CPU fan spins, along with the PSU fan and one of the case fans, but there are no motherboard lights. There are no beeps and no video output.

I've stripped the system down to PSU, CPU and Motherboard, cleared CMOS, switched to BIOS 2 but none of these have made an difference. I have also tried an old PSU, but again, no post.

Can anyone suggest anything else I can try, or should I RMA the board?

Thanks

Nigel

You said no mother board lights are on when you try to start the PC. Is the Power LED that lights up on the PC case, or on the board?

What other LEDs/lights did you see that were lit up on the board at one time (apparently) no longer lighting up? Some boards have a BIOS selection LED when the board has dual CMOS chips like yours, for example.

Do you use a wired Internet connection that is connected to the network port on the IO panel? If you do, with the PC shutdown, connect the network cable to the port and if the PSU is off, turn its switch on. There are two LEDs at the top and bottom of the network port, do any of them light up with the cable connected and the PSU on?

Do you have a POST beep speaker? If POST completes successfully, you will hear one short beep. There may be an option in the BIOS to turn the POST beeps on and off, so if you never heard the single POST Ok beep before, and you have a POST speaker connected, that option is disabled.

If you do not have memory in the board, it will not POST.

Since this problem happened so soon after building the PC, the board might be the problem. Are all the other main components new as well?
Xaltar View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Xaltar Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Jun 2015 at 1:30pm
I suspect it may be the board too, hence suggesting removing the RAM. Without RAM a functional board will beep an error code, usually 3 beeps depending on the manufacturer. If I remember correctly there should be different error beeps for major component errors, RAM and CPU. So if the board does not beep without RAM then it is likely the CPU or motherboard that is the cause of the problem. Inserting RAM again and removing the CPU should once again cause an error beep assuming the board has an error beep for the CPU (do you know if this is the case Parsec?). By elimination troubleshooting like this you can quickly determine where the fault is. I have seen bent or missing pins on the CPU/socket cause all kinds of errors and it is one of the most common fail points especially when the pins are in the socket.

Given there are no indicator LEDs showing up on the motherboard I would look at the CPU socket first. Bent/shorting pins can cause the boards fault protections to kick in and prevent power from going to major components.

Basically, if it isn't the RAM causing the problem go ahead and RMA the board as I doubt it is the CPU. You listed the i5 4690 not 4690k so with overclocking out of the picture it is highly unlikely that its the CPU.

Edited by Xaltar - 08 Jun 2015 at 1:33pm
nmbaldwin View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nmbaldwin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Jun 2015 at 5:44pm
Thanks, folks.

After following almost all your suggestions, I was ready to RMA. Then, as I had to take the CPU out anyway, tried the final possibility of reseating the CPU (I wanted to avoid replacing the thermal paste unless necessary).

This seems to have done the trick - it boots up correctly now. There were no bent pins on the socket and nothing on the CPU. So that's kinda strange, especially as it had been working ok for 24 hours.

I've just put the PC to sleep, so will see if it wakes up. If it locks again, I'll need to figure out whether to RMA the Motherboard or the CPU.

Thanks again,

Nigel

Xaltar View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Xaltar Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Jun 2015 at 7:13pm
I hope you have it sorted now. Components making poor contact is a classic problem Wink
nmbaldwin View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nmbaldwin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Jun 2015 at 4:19pm
Looking good, so far. Thanks for all your help.

Nigel
Xaltar View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Xaltar Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Jun 2015 at 4:31pm
Great to hear, enjoy your new PC Cool
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic