ASRock.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Technical Support > AMD Motherboards
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search Search  Events   Register Register  Login Login

Four (4) memory sticks boot loop

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mkmcgregor Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Four (4) memory sticks boot loop
    Posted: 30 May 2022 at 10:44pm
Using the X370 Killer SLI/AC MB.
Upgraded to latest 7.03 and now 7.10 BIOS and running a 5900X.
Memory OLOy 3200Mhz CL16 2x 16GBx2 kit.

Issues common to all latest BIOS; 7.03 and most recent 7.10.

Endless boot loop when memory settings set to default 2133 and timings for more than one stick.

Once manually set to XMP settings (3200-C16), booted into windows, and shutdown with one stick adding a second stick boots fine. Would not be true for default 2133 ironically; only one stick boots.

Under BIOS 7.03, was able to shutdown windows once XMP applied, add all 4 sticks, and again would boot normally into windows or BIOS with 64GB present. Memory running in windows CPUID of 3200 C16. Full memtest86 confirmed no memory issues.

After BIOS upgrade to 7.10, memory reset so boot loop. Removed all but on stick and repeated the process above. Once XMP and cycled, two sticks boot fine. Four sticks now always boot loop. Saw a post about 1866 for four sticks, so I tried that setting. One stick, boot 1866, shutdown, add three more sticks, boot loop even at 1866.

It seems 7.10 is a bit of a downgrade for memory compatibility.
Curious why 2 or four sticks still won't boot at 2133; only one will boot.
Curious why 4 sticks no longer work although I kind of consider it serendipity that I was able to figure out a way of making it work by a specific installation pattern previously.

It's a shame that it seems that it can support it but now does not.

Any suggestions or information would be greatly appreciated.
mkmcgregor View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mkmcgregor Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 May 2022 at 11:34pm
As an F.Y.I.

I cannot downgrade to 7.00 or 7.03. I thought maybe backup to restore previous functionality. Once 7.10 is loaded, these older files become "Invalid Files" though they do show in the Instant Flash files available. They do say cannot downgrade and they meant it.

I reinstalled 7.10 one more time since I could.
Also reset CMOS via the jumper.

No dice. Still two is the limit and 2133 always fails with more than one stick of this memory.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mkmcgregor Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Jun 2022 at 8:43pm
Went a little further and tested a different G.Skill Ripjaws V 3200 CL14 4x8GB kit; actually 2 kits of 2x8GB. Same results as before. 4 slots filled does not work. 2133 default memory only boots with one slot filled. Set XMP and then 2 slots work.

My only conclusions are:
1) Latest 7.10 BIOS has some issues with X370 and 5000 series. This is based on the ability to get 4 sticks to boot and run with some shenanigans. The fact that it cannot boot with multiple (2+) sticks at 2133 seems a huge issue.
2) It's possible that my specific MB or CPU is contributing to some problems; slot, trace, or manufacturing issue. I doubt that since it was working in some respects and testing prior to the 7.10 update with 4 slots filled; memtest86 passed. 2133 is still a big sticking point for only 2 slots to fail on any combination of two slots. That should work regardless. Endless boot loop implies some issue.

We are unlikely to get further support. I hope we do. I appreciate that they delivered new BIOS updates and the chance to test this. I was hoping to salvage an old system and prevent some e-waste. I don't even feel comfortable selling the system as is since the new owner could easily and accidentally make unbootable.

I may try one more test with a more basic 2400 RAM. If that will not boot at 2133, BIOS beware.

Cheers all!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mkmcgregor Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Jul 2022 at 9:01pm
Also tested a Crucial 2400 kit 4x8GB. Same result. 2133 boot loop with more than one stick. Once XMP is set, one/two sticks will boot and work normally. Four sticks boot loop with XMP set. Same as all the others memory kits I tried.

Out of sticks to test.
So BIOS, CPU, or motherboard?
I'm pointing to BIOS since 7.03 worked with 4 sticks and though 2133 did not work with 7.03 it should work regardless. Something is wrong with the current AGESA in the BIOS.

Please find time to provide any additional fixes with any new AGESA update! Thanks.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mkmcgregor Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Jul 2022 at 4:14am
One final note. I was able to downgrade my BIOS to 7.03.
This was only accomplished by following the instructions here
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZzqwjVDKAnU

This YouTube video links to required files and very detailed instructions on determining if you can use the instructions for downgrading AMI BIOS motherboards.

This completed successfully for this board back to v.7.03
The board now boots again with 64GB of DDR4 320 in four slots.
This is a beta BIOS, but it works and boots without issue.
I will continue to look for a BIOS update beyond v.7.10 since that version appears to be broken.

Thanks again to Spaceinvader One on YouTube for the detailed information.
Xaltar View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Xaltar Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Jul 2022 at 5:08am
Great, thanks for sharing the link. I am glad to see you got your system back up
to full functionality. Sometimes BIOS updates just don't play nice with certain
hardware setups. RAM in particular seems to be a problem area for this.

With Ryzen I typically stick to a BIOS version that works unless I absolutely
need to update it, new CPU support for an upgrade for example.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mkmcgregor Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Jul 2022 at 10:38pm
Agreed! Windows no longer allows this kind of choice of upgrade which is a shame. Especially when flaws are part of an upgrade.

But then comes the balance of necessary security patches with the plethora of issues discovered related to CPU security "flaws" that require patches in the BIOS for remediation. My particular downgrade carried no risk of which I'm aware since it was only mature CPU information, but investigation about these types of flaws and the realistic chance of a low risk PC being physically hacked by someone with physical access. Our current world is a pain since people are constantly trying to exploit every PC they can; though typically via remote attacks.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic